Free Market Revolution: How Ayn Rand's Ideas Can End Big Government

Free Market Revolution: How Ayn Rand's Ideas Can End Big Government

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  25 reviews
NATIONAL BESTSELLER

A look at how our current crises are caused by too much government, and how Ayn Rand’s bold defense of free markets can help us change course.

The rise of the Tea Party and the 2010 election results revealed that tens of millions of Americans are alarmed by Big Government, but skeptical that anything can or will be done to stop the growth of the state. I...more
Published September 18th 2012 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade

To ask other readers questions about Free Market Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Market Revolution

Desiree
I received a free copy of this book through the GoodReads First Reads program in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Any Rand. So, part of the beginning of this book was a bit rough going for me! A lot of the philosophical ideas presented here are very different from the way the United States has evolved. Once I got digested the basic tenets, it was smooth sailing from there. This book is full of wonderful examples of how capitalism is the best system for everyone...more
Shea Mastison
I cannot recommend this book strongly enough! It is no exaggeration to say, this is the best book that I have read so far in 2012. Yaron Brook and Don Watkins tackle altruism as the ideological block to free markets (and free people) in our society while breaking down the altruists main two arguments: the Argument from Greed, and the Argument from Need.

These staunch defenders of Real Capitalism utterly demolish the idea the state intervention is responsible for the security that many Americans...more
RWH Housley
Mar 15, 2014 RWH Housley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want a future in America
Free Market Revolution : How Ayn Rand’s Ideas Can End Big Government
by Yaron Brook and Don Watkins

- - a short report by Ron Housley - -

I was hoping for a tone that would capture some of Yaron Brook’s debates and lectures from over the past few years — Brook has offered up some compelling and passionate presentations in support of individualism and of government organized around protecting individual rights.

Today, leading into the 2012 election, we are confronted with Obama surging in the poll...more
Stephen Bourque
This new book by Yaron Brook and Don Watkins appears at a crucially important time, addressing a bewildering question. How, after two centuries of incontrovertible evidence that capitalism works, can the public still demand—or, at least, be intellectually powerless to oppose—the ever-increasing expansion of government force into every corner of our lives?

The authors make the case that the answer is fundamentally a matter or morality. Americans have gradually accepted, perhaps largely through pas...more
Paul

For anyone with any decent understanding of psychology and economics, this book was a review in common sense. For anyone without any decent knowledge of those areas this book is a must read. For those who are completely anti-business, this ought to be required reading before entering into any kind of discussion around politics, economics, or monetary policy. Sadly, there are entirely too few of the first group and entirely too many of the latter groups. Those who read this book are likely to no...more
Amy
I'm already on board with every idea in this book, and yet I enjoyed reading it as inspiration, clarification, and for the simple pleasure of contemplating what a fully-free, capitalistic society would look and feel like.
Johnrh
This is an excellent book. I approve its message. (It is presidential election season.) The book is a methodical, reasoned analysis of the self-inflicted big government altruism that is bankrupting us. It offers logical steps to reclaim the good of free market capitalism and individual rights through Ayn Rand's common-sense philosophy of objective, RATIONAL self-interest. I cannot emphasize RATIONAL, and MORAL, enough. It's not rocket science, brain surgery, or tooo deeeep for any of us to under...more
Mark Wickens
This book makes the case for a radical change in the relationship between the individual and government. Brook and Watkins argue that government should be out of the picture entirely except when it comes to protecting clearly defined rights of individuals — rights that allow individuals to pursue their own happiness. The authors argue also that only a morality that upholds your own individual happiness as the ultimate goal—i.e., a morality that recognizes self-interest as a virtue—can get us to...more
Audrey Coleman
An interesting book with compelling ideas on how to improve the American economy - basically, roll it back to how it was when we WERE productive (pre-FDR welfare state).
It would be nice if politicians would listen to the message that this book and many others have made clear - progressivism doesn't work. Social welfare programs serve only one purpose - subtle class warfare.
Ayn Rand seeks to do what others haven't even tried to do: prove a moral basis for selfishness. Rational self-interest is m...more
Clinton Boyda
I am not a regular political or even economic reader but found this book exceptionally relevant to the economic problems the USA (and thereby most first world nations) find themselves in at this time (2013). Any Rands's idea are interesting in the perspective of protecting the value businesses bring to society and how we need to better leverage the human spirit and ingenuity to solve our economical problems, not simply discount business as only for profit motivated by greed. RATIONAL self-intere...more
Jenna
A must read!!! Definitive demonstration on how a "Free Market Revolution" regarded as the solution of America's problem.

Moreover, Rand's fundamental law/ideas illustrate on moral value...that at the deepest level, moral defense of the profit motive would have show that it is selfish.......and that is a good thing.

Yaron Brook; This is the Free Market Revolution: It is the idea that economic freedom can flourish only in America that celebrates selfishness--- the individual pursuit of his rational,...more
Katie Rodemich

I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

The book was very good and very informative. The book explains how Ayn Rand's morality of selfishness is necessary to direct our political actions toward having an economy of Capitalism. At the same time it shows how altruism, being your brother's keeper, will and necessarily must send us down the road to destruction by sacrificing all the good things we have. I would, however, read Ayn Rand's oeuvre before reading this book to have a better understanding...more
Daugiau Knygų More Books
This book has the best argument for capitalism, it completely destroys most anti-capitalists arguments such as that we are uncaring, tyrannical, Republican Bible-thumpers.

I highly recommend this book for anyone.

Objectivism is definitely one of the most liberating concepts for individual freedom and happiness. You too can be successful and happy doing what you want and what you can best provide for the market.

This book is essential if you like arguing with socialists and welfare state proponen...more
Jeff Yoak
This is the best new book on Objectivism that I've read in many years.

This book thoroughly describes the necessary moral defense of capitalism and integrates that through an entire description of what is wrong and what it would take to fix it. It tackles particulars of current politics in a way that is generally missing in works of political philosophy, at least in good ones. I'm utterly glad that I read it.
Stuart Spitalnic
Highly recommended for anyone who wants to see what real capitalism really is and those who might be interested in the practical application of Ayn Rand's ideas, without all the stuff that gets Objectivism labelled a cult. Might also educate all the lefties out there as to what is wrong with the current liberal agenda, and why the current conservative agenda is no answer.
Travis
Highly recommended and particular pertinent after the 2012 election in the discussion about why the Republicans lost. The target audience is those who already sympathize with free market ideas (e.g. tea party activists).
Daryl Vogel
Provides excellent background on "how we got to where we are now" as well as the Industrial Revolution and the history of Capitalism. Goes beyond simply ranting about what's wrong and provides practical, realistic solutions.
Ron Shoemaker
Great book! I recommend this book to anyone who voted for Obama or Romney, and anyone who is concerned about the economy and erosion of individual rights.
Melissa
It wasn't literally this book that was paradigm-shifting for me, but objectivism as introduced and preached by Yaron Brook.
Thane Eichenauer
I found this book to be very inspiring.
Russ
Free Market Revolution: How Ayn Rand’s Ideas Can End Big Government, a national bestseller by Yaron Brook and Don Watkins, is a timely book given the current sentiment against “big government,” and the growing mention of Ayn Rand and her ideas. Like Rand, Brook and Watkins accept only a limited form of government, such as that expressed by our founding fathers: one that only functions to protect our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Of course, many people don’t have a proble...more
Keith Kendall
This book does an impressive job of explaining how big government is inevitable give our value system, and how we frame the moral debate. Defense of capitalism and self-interest has been weak because the moral standards result in only a half hearted position. Thus, government grows as we slide toward a socialist society.

Some points that it makes:
- Selfishness is the foundation of progress
- Profit is noble
- Corrupt business will be rejected by consumers in a free society
- Even America has not bee...more
Eric Amey
You won't know what a Free Market E conomy is until you read this book

If your looking for a book to strengthen your arguments promoting capitalism against collectivism, you've found your book! Well laid out from BigGov's deteriorating effects on our daily lives. Ending with a passionate defense of self interest, which moves us towards a freer and more enjoyable society.
David Abraham
An easy read. But guilty of the same charges as the lady herself: straw-men, caricatures of ideologies, black-and-white thinking, no real-world exposure, 100% attention to simplistic logic and none to reality.

Ondřej Trhoň
Špatně se to hodnotí, protože ekonomii příliš nerozumím. Nicméně napsáno to je věcně, čtivě s velmi přesvědčivými argumenty. Dobrá práce.
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kevinrafto
Kevinrafto marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
  • Holy Shit: Managing Manure To Save Mankind
  • Socialism: An Economic and Sociological Analysis
  • The Machinery of Freedom: Guide to a Radical Capitalism
  • Individualism and Economic Order
Yaron Brook (Hebrew: ירון ברוק‎; born 1961) is an intellectual and political activist, and is the current president and executive director of the Ayn Rand Institute, a non-profit organization in Irvine, California, whose mission is to promote the novels of Ayn Rand and her philosophy of Objectivism.

As head of the Ayn Rand Institute (ARI), Brook has become a well-known advocate of Objectivism. His...more
More about Yaron Brook...
Neoconservatism: An Obituary For An Idea The Rise and Decline of the State of Israel The Objective Standard: Fall 2009, Vol. 4, No. 3 Winning the Unwinnable War Big Tent: The Story of the Conservative Revolution--As Told by the Thinkers and Doers Who Made It Happen

“Genuine rights don’t conflict—they enable us to live together without intractable conflicts.” 2 likes
“You could turn to others for help, but you couldn’t claim their help by right.” 1 likes