Lethal Investments

Lethal Investments (Oslo Detectives #1)

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A string of murders sucks the Oslo Detectives into a maelstrom of dark secrets in the latest from the master of Norwegian crime writing.

Award-winning author K.O. Dahl has achieved international acclaim with his Oslo Detectives series featuring inspectors Frølich and Gunnarstranda. Now he presents the riveting fourth book in the series, combining rare psychological insight...more
Published November 27th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Lethal Investments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lethal Investments

Steve
I have read a number of authors this year who I had not read before who I subsequently did not think were particularly worth reading, despite, in some cases, good reviews on Goodreads. However, several authors were a very pleasant surprise, one of which was K.O. Dahl and Lethal Investments. It is a standard police procedural with some unique characters. The main protagonist, Inspector Gunnarstranda, realizes that, to the public, he does not readily project the image of police authority. He is ab...more
Susan
Tho Dahl is compared to Mankell, I'd say no comparison. A good read - but his detectives are not very interesting in their procedures or their personalities. Also, little about Norwegian society. Little sense of what it means to be a Norwegian these days - which is what I usually like about Scandenavian mysteries. Still - a good read and I had no idea "who done it."
Ray Palen
These days, every single crime and thriller writer emerging from the desolate tundra known as Scandinavia owes a debt of thanks to the late Stieg Larsson. If not for the incredible international success (posthumously) of his GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO trilogy Western readers might never have been introduced to terrific talents like Henning Mankell, Jo Nesbo, Camilla Lackberg and Anne Holt.

Seeking to add his name to this growing list is Norwegian author, K.O. Dahl. He has already won a handful o...more
Silverdrake
I had to put down this book at page 96. I feel like someone's puked on me. This book is incredibly misogynist. Every woman is described by her sexual attractiveness, physical attributes, and favorite sexual position. If it weren't a library book, I'd throw it in the recycling bin. Ugh.

Descriptions of five different women:

P.95: A bowl of jelly fleeing a children's party, he thought and braced himself... Black leggings at bursting point over the stomach. Her whole body pitched and rolled."

P.90: "...more
Richard
This is a book I wanted to read but was slow getting down to read it.
This a Police procedural with a couple of forgettable detectives, Gunnarstranda and Frølich. Not as engrossing as more modern reads but part of the wider genre so worth a read. However,the Sjöwall-Wahlöö's Martin Beck Police Mystery series is closer to this novel and that is where the comparison ends. This book has a reasonable plot but the author losing it in the telling. The reader is as much in the dark as the investigators...more
Sheila
It took me a while to get into Lethal Investments, and I never really cared about any of the characters other than Gunnarstranda and Frolich, but once I figured out how they worked - their humour, their pleasure in letting the bad guys stew in their own juices, their wit - the book became worth finishing.
Karen
An entertaining read, would read more by this author.
Monica
The procedural stuff was interesting, but almost all of the characters, including most of the cops, are people I was sorry to have met and would just as soon not encounter again. The exception is Gunnarstranda, the senior cop, a widower tending his dead wife's garden.

I will be working at forgetting the murder victim, victim number two, (her one night stand) her scamming boss and his brutal sidekick and her repulsive peeping tom elderly neighbor. Icky.
Lili
This is the first of Oslo detectives Frank Frølich and Inspector Gunnarstranda series to be translated into English. The pair set out to investigate the murder of a young woman. This book started well with interesting first chapters; it lost its way a little, mainly because the nuts and bolts, i.e the plot and the narrative throughout the book was not developed interestingly enough to keep my attention.
Godzilla
Picked up on a whim, but this is no Millennium trilogy.
The story limps along, and the only sympathetic character dies very early!
The two main detectives have little spark between them, and the descriptions of locations and journeys feel strained and repetitive.
This is the first in a series, and the books may get better, but I'm not going to be actively seeking out the next one....
Mitchell
Dahl takes me back to my first love: Georges Simenon. This is a quiet, introspective police procedural a la Mankell's early Wallender books or Indridason's Erlendur. If you are expecting a mystery/thriller like Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series, forgetaboutit. Read something else. In your disappointment you will give Mr Dahl a lousy one, two, or three stars and he deserves better.
Bernard Mcdonnell
I enjoyed parts of this book and was stumped as to what was going on and who done it till the end of the book. Overall, the detectives and suspects were not very enticing but I slogged through this book peeling the onion waiting for the meat to qppear. Alas, it was a hollow experience.
Richard
First, there is no one in the entire cast of characters I liked. Second, I don't care which street they turned left or right on. The mystery was closely covered up until the end, however. Actually, you could just read the last 30 pages and save a lot of otherwise wasted time.
Leah Bellamy
Hmm, I don't think I'm going to get on with this author's style of writing. This is the second book of his that I've read and I find there to be odd lines written in that don't need to be there and all in all it's abit slow going.
Wanrong
Doug
I like the Gunnarstranda & Frolich characters. While the story is not exciting the characters and their makeup are interesting. Especially interesting was the description of the drunk that was sick. Vivid.
Kenneth Fredette
It may be the translator but the beginning was rough to read. It had nice concepts and it was a good plot but it didn't have the staying power to keep you reading.
I didn't find the characters believable, the writing was poor -- or perhaps it was the translation. The plot was okay.
Agnes Muscoreil
I found this book hard to read - maybe because of the translation? Story plodded along, no Stieg Larsson!!
Diana
Ein guter norwegischer Krimi, nur war mir leider schon viel zu früh klar, wer der Mörder ist.
Colin Stewart
Scandinavian police procedural -- gripping for a while. Petered out a bit at the end.
Mary
Peculiar prose. I blame the translation.
Angela Mccourt
Poorly translated, very average story
Susan
excellent crime mystery from Norway.
☯Bettie☯
translation> Don Bartlett
summer 2013
pub 1993
tbr busting 2013
ebook> nutty nuut> on the road again
norway> Oslo detectives Frank Frølich and Inspector Gunnarstranda
series

Opening: As he opened his eyes they felt like sandpaper.

Wasn't so keen on this. Next!
Li
Li marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Kym
Kym marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Born in 1958, Dahl's first novel was published in 1993. He is best known for his series about Oslo detectives Frank Frølich and Inspector Gunnarstranda.

Also publishes as K.O. Dahl
More about Kjell Ola Dahl...
The Fourth Man The Man In The Window The Last Fix De vrouw in plastic Lügenmeer