Start by marking “Lethal Investments” as Want to Read:
Lethal Investments

Lethal Investments (Oslo Detectives #1)

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
A string of murders sucks the Oslo Detectives into a maelstrom of dark secrets in the latest from the master of Norwegian crime writing.

Award-winning author K.O. Dahl has achieved international acclaim with his Oslo Detectives series featuring inspectors Frølich and Gunnarstranda. Now he presents the riveting fourth book in the series, combining rare psychological insight
Published November 27th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Lethal Investments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lethal Investments

Curt Buchmeier
Nov 23, 2014 Curt Buchmeier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspector Gunnarstranda of the Oslo Police, middle-aged, widowed and cynical, and his younger #2, Frank Frolich, are entertaining, unique and believable. One of the best teams in the genre I've read in a long time. This is technically a prequel to Dahl's previous books with this same team (as far as I know). Written in first person with biting insights that, to author K O Dahl's credit, give this novel a leg up on the rest of the Nordic Noir writers.
Along with a small apartment in the Capital,
Silverdrake
Nov 03, 2013 Silverdrake rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stinkers
I had to put down this book at page 96. I feel like someone's puked on me. This book is incredibly misogynist. Every woman is described by her sexual attractiveness, physical attributes, and favorite sexual position. If it weren't a library book, I'd throw it in the recycling bin. Ugh.

Descriptions of five different women:

P.95: A bowl of jelly fleeing a children's party, he thought and braced himself... Black leggings at bursting point over the stomach. Her whole body pitched and rolled."

P.90: "
Steve
Apr 22, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a number of authors this year who I had not read before who I subsequently did not think were particularly worth reading, despite, in some cases, good reviews on Goodreads. However, several authors were a very pleasant surprise, one of which was K.O. Dahl and Lethal Investments. It is a standard police procedural with some unique characters. The main protagonist, Inspector Gunnarstranda, realizes that, to the public, he does not readily project the image of police authority. He is ab ...more
Susan
Jan 13, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: norwegian
Tho Dahl is compared to Mankell, I'd say no comparison. A good read - but his detectives are not very interesting in their procedures or their personalities. Also, little about Norwegian society. Little sense of what it means to be a Norwegian these days - which is what I usually like about Scandenavian mysteries. Still - a good read and I had no idea "who done it."
Mandy Tanksley
The fourth installment of KO Dahl's Olso detective series to land on American shores did not disappoint. It wasn't my favorite outing with Frolich and Gunnarstranda, but was just as intriguing as the other three. The boys are investigating the murder of a young woman who was found stabbed in her home which has also been ransacked. The problem is that nothing was stolen and there isn't anything to tie anyone to the crime scene other than the fact her lover had been spotted leaving earlier the mor ...more
Ray Palen
These days, every single crime and thriller writer emerging from the desolate tundra known as Scandinavia owes a debt of thanks to the late Stieg Larsson. If not for the incredible international success (posthumously) of his GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO trilogy Western readers might never have been introduced to terrific talents like Henning Mankell, Jo Nesbo, Camilla Lackberg and Anne Holt.

Seeking to add his name to this growing list is Norwegian author, K.O. Dahl. He has already won a handful o
Richard
This is a book I wanted to read but was slow getting down to read it.
This a Police procedural with a couple of forgettable detectives, Gunnarstranda and Frølich. Not as engrossing as more modern reads but part of the wider genre so worth a read. However,the Sjöwall-Wahlöö's Martin Beck Police Mystery series is closer to this novel and that is where the comparison ends. This book has a reasonable plot but the author losing it in the telling. The reader is as much in the dark as the investigators
Bruce Hatton
Feb 05, 2016 Bruce Hatton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: norwegian-crime
The first of Mr Dahl's novels I've read will almost certainly be my last. A cast of cliched characters who were neither likeable nor interesting; a predictable, linear whodunnit revolving around a tedious financial scam, coupled with an adolescent obsession with irrelevant sexual matters. The only saving grace about this book was its brevity. At least I only wasted a couple of evenings getting through it.
Sheila
Feb 07, 2014 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into Lethal Investments, and I never really cared about any of the characters other than Gunnarstranda and Frolich, but once I figured out how they worked - their humour, their pleasure in letting the bad guys stew in their own juices, their wit - the book became worth finishing.
Jo-anne Atkinson
Back to some Scandi-crime and a rather routine offering unfortunately.

A young woman is killed rather brutally and the crime is linked firstly to her one night stand. However when he is also killed then the clues point to her employers. She works for a small IT company who are clearly operating a scam. The owner has a track record of setting up bogus companies and disappearing with the investments. He had also had an affair with the first victim.

There is some good characterisation in the book but
Elizabeth
I have read this Norwegian's books before and enjoyed them, but this little book was a struggle. I don't know if it was the book or the translator, but it was difficult to read. The ending seemed obvious. I don't recommend this book, but earlier ones by this author are good.
Rea Richard
Een Noorse politiezaak die wel kon boeien. Vooral de hoofdpersonages zijn niet wat we gewoon zijn van onderzoekduo's in bijvoorbeeld Amerikaanse detective series. Het zijn lelijke, ziekelijke figuren. Hierdoor wordt alles rauwer. Benieuwd naar de volgende zaak van Frolich en Gunnarstranda
Tessa Celie
ik heb het lang vol gehouden, want het boek was bijna uit, tot het me écht niet meer kon schelen wie de moord op Reidun had gepleegd. slecht uitgewerkte personages, lange oninteressante beschrijvingen van de omgeving of situaties en een ongelooflijk flutverhaal.
Macha
Nov 20, 2014 Macha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
his first mystery. not exactly good writing or characterization (yet?), but the two cops have an excellent eye for detail, and for extrapolating from that detail, that suggests this team might be interesting to follow.
Cheryl
From Wikipedia: These translations have been published in the reverse order to which they were written.
James
Jul 02, 2015 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
seems to be altogether too much focus on the two detectives personal quirks than the actual mystery... possibly i've just read better books than this... great plot but way too many sidesteps to relationships and habits... probably would work well as a TV show/series... not bad, but not stellar either...
Karen
Sep 01, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read, would read more by this author.
Monica
The procedural stuff was interesting, but almost all of the characters, including most of the cops, are people I was sorry to have met and would just as soon not encounter again. The exception is Gunnarstranda, the senior cop, a widower tending his dead wife's garden.

I will be working at forgetting the murder victim, victim number two, (her one night stand) her scamming boss and his brutal sidekick and her repulsive peeping tom elderly neighbor. Icky.
Lili
Oct 01, 2012 Lili rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction, kindle
This is the first of Oslo detectives Frank Frølich and Inspector Gunnarstranda series to be translated into English. The pair set out to investigate the murder of a young woman. This book started well with interesting first chapters; it lost its way a little, mainly because the nuts and bolts, i.e the plot and the narrative throughout the book was not developed interestingly enough to keep my attention.
Godzilla
Oct 27, 2013 Godzilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2013
Picked up on a whim, but this is no Millennium trilogy.
The story limps along, and the only sympathetic character dies very early!
The two main detectives have little spark between them, and the descriptions of locations and journeys feel strained and repetitive.
This is the first in a series, and the books may get better, but I'm not going to be actively seeking out the next one....
Mitchell
Apr 15, 2013 Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dahl takes me back to my first love: Georges Simenon. This is a quiet, introspective police procedural a la Mankell's early Wallender books or Indridason's Erlendur. If you are expecting a mystery/thriller like Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series, forgetaboutit. Read something else. In your disappointment you will give Mr Dahl a lousy one, two, or three stars and he deserves better.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
It is a good crime novel - kept my interest.
A woman is found murdered in her apartment - shortly after her boyfriend left. Was it her boyfriend or someone else?
It turns out the woman worked a company that seems to have some interesting characters... and what exactly are they selling
Lots of questions
Bernard Mcdonnell
I enjoyed parts of this book and was stumped as to what was going on and who done it till the end of the book. Overall, the detectives and suspects were not very enticing but I slogged through this book peeling the onion waiting for the meat to qppear. Alas, it was a hollow experience.
Richard
Feb 11, 2013 Richard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First, there is no one in the entire cast of characters I liked. Second, I don't care which street they turned left or right on. The mystery was closely covered up until the end, however. Actually, you could just read the last 30 pages and save a lot of otherwise wasted time.
Leah
Nov 12, 2013 Leah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmm, I don't think I'm going to get on with this author's style of writing. This is the second book of his that I've read and I find there to be odd lines written in that don't need to be there and all in all it's abit slow going.
WR
Feb 12, 2012 WR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doug
I like the Gunnarstranda & Frolich characters. While the story is not exciting the characters and their makeup are interesting. Especially interesting was the description of the drunk that was sick. Vivid.
Ken Fredette
It may be the translator but the beginning was rough to read. It had nice concepts and it was a good plot but it didn't have the staying power to keep you reading.
Mar 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find the characters believable, the writing was poor -- or perhaps it was the translation. The plot was okay.
Agnes Muscoreil
I found this book hard to read - maybe because of the translation? Story plodded along, no Stieg Larsson!!
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • Nights of Awe
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • The Day is Dark (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #4)
  • Another Time, Another Life (The Fall of the Welfare State, #2)
  • Ice Moon
  • Burned (Henning Juul #1)
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • Killer's Island
  • Killer's Art (Anders Knutas, #4)
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • Münsters Fall (Inspector Van Veeteren #6)
  • Death of the Demon (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #3)
  • Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder, #1)
  • Under the Snow
Born in 1958, Dahl's first novel was published in 1993. He is best known for his series about Oslo detectives Frank Frølich and Inspector Gunnarstranda.

Also publishes as K.O. Dahl
More about Kjell Ola Dahl...

Oslo Detectives (8 books)
  • The Last Fix
  • The Man in the Window
  • Lügenmeer (Gunnarstranda & Frølich, #4)
  • The Fourth Man