Start by marking “King's Man: A Novel of Robin Hood” as Want to Read:
King's Man: A Novel of Robin Hood

King's Man: A Novel of Robin Hood (The Outlaw Chronicles #3)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  521 ratings  ·  51 reviews
“A rip-roaring tale...inspired by but not slavish to historical events of the Dark Ages, this book is full of twists and turns...A fast-moving, thoroughly enjoyable yarn.” —Kirkus Reviews on King's Man

In 1192 A.D., with the Third Crusadeover, Richard the Lionheart is headed back home to England, only to be betrayed, captured, and held for ransom.Now with the princes of Eur
Published November 13th 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about King's Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King's Man

Paul Bennett
The farther I go in this series the more I am convinced that Angus Donald's Robin Hood is by far one of the best portrayals of this legendary man I have come across. Couple that with his story telling ability and you have a must read scenario. In this volume, King's Man, Alan Dale finds himself labeled a traitor by seemingly everyone around him from Robin to Prince John to an old lover and even his good friends Marie-Anne and Godifa. Things on the home front at Westbury where Alan is ensconced a ...more
Lanie Sanders
WARNING REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS! DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK!

"king's Man" has been rated R by the Nerd Association of Lanie for violence, langue, and sexual content. :D

to start off, i'm going to show you all, my 3 or 4 robin hood review followers :D, a few intresting quotes from the book. (i do love mr. donald's writing style. it just fits Alan's uppity musical personality so well!)

"Serving you, my lord, is reward enough, Your fame will last for more than a thousand years. And
Nick Brett
The third volume in Angus Donald’s excellent “Outlaw Chronicles” series. The series tells the tale of Robin Hood but from the perspective of Alan-a-Dale, with Robin Hood an important but often absent character. Robin Hood is portrayed as a bit like the Godfather of Sherwood, not to be crossed but very loyal to those who are part of his inner circle. Donald’s Robin is ruthless, cunning and dangerous. Alan Dale is passionate but makes human mistakes and has emotions he sometimes wears on his sleev ...more
Vicky Shirley
The Robin Hood legend has been contained in the realms of historical fiction for almost 200 years. Associated with the reign of King Richard I since John Major's chronicle, and the plays of Anthony Munday, Angus Donald's 'King's Man' - the third novel in his Outlaw Chronicle series - is firmly situated in the post-medieval tradition which first brought England's most celebrated outlaw and the Lionheart together. Like so much of Robin Hood fiction which has become associated with the Plantagenets ...more
Folville's Ghost
What an amazing author Angus Donald is! I found his first book 'Outlaw' in a little indie bookshop and was compelled to subsequently buy the sequels and each one excels the last. There are very few authors I could mention that have had me literally laughing out loud on one page with wit and humour only to have me in tears of shock and awe moments later.

The legendary Robin Hood has been written about so many times, but this author refreshingly puts a new twist to Robin's character, giving him in
Kerry Hennigan
In the third novel of his Outlaw Chronicles series, Angus Donald’s hero Alan Dale is back in England with Robin of Locksley. King Richard’s brother Prince John is gathering strength amongst the barons while Richard is imprisoned in Austria.

Alan finds himself collecting taxes to pay the king’s ransom, and it is a dangerous business. No-one knows for sure where Richard is being held. He has made many enemies amongst the kings of Europe. But Alan and Richard share an affinity that could help save t
Colin
'Nobody called Roger has ever been less than a full-blooded whoremongering lecher...'

My favourite quote, I enjoyed this book a lot. A good historical fiction novel based on Robin Hood folklore with a nice mixture of action, politics, midnight stealth, assassinations and romance.

It's book 3 in a series but I haven't read any of the others in the series yet, nonetheless it was written in a manner that I could still dive in and enjoy it.
Alex Murphy
I’ve enjoyed all of the Outlaw books, and while good, this one is not as great as the first two in the series. Fans should be pleased with it, but non fans wouldn't have much new to drag them back, and if you haven’t read the previous books should start there.
Following straight on from the previous book, Alan Dale along with Robin Hood are back in England after the crusade, and are again pitted against the Sheriff of Nottingham allied to Prince John, who is set to overthrow King Richard now held
Marcus Pailing
Good fun, although I didn't feel particularly convinced by it all. The author needs to learn how to write more convincingly in the first person (does too much explaining of things that a 12th century writer wouldn't feel he needed to explain), and his recreation of 12th century England wasn't hugely convincing, either. Still, plenty of fun adventure and gritty fight-scenes, so I still liked it.
Estibaliz79
Seguimos en el punto medio con esta serie de inspiración histórica, que aborda el personaje de Robin Hood desde una perspectiva que pretende ser más realidad y menos leyenda. Pero ojo a las palabras clave, inspiración y pretensión, porque, como el propio Donald reconoce, él es novelista, no historiador, y aunque la ambientación está muy conseguida, se toma muchas licencias con la Historia y en ocasiones se pasa con la fabulación.

No obstante, es precisamente alguna de esas libertades la que lo re
Gary
The third in the series that never loses momentum
This one sees Alan Dale face off against his nemesis Ralph de Murdac the evil Sheriff of Nottingham, Rescue King Richard from his prison in Germany. I liked the way Alan Dale is identified here as Blondel, the troubadour who helped rescue Richard.
Lots of intrigue and suspense as Alan is seen as betraying Robin Hood but its all part of a ruse.
this robin hood is not do gooder in green, and couldn't care less about the poor, he is ruthless and self-s
Choko
This was a tough book to read... The disfigured girl and the emotions her story evokes are just painful, but at least, the main character realizes how shallow he is... I need to read something fun next, or I will get totally depressed....
Richard
His third, and mine, in the Outlaws Chronicles series and for me, the best so far. All the books have been intensely gripping, full of action and very gruesome at times. This book brings Robin and his 'merrie' men back to England from the third and largely unsuccessful Crusade of the Holy Land, described in book 2. It also covers the time when Richard I is held captive in Europe for over a year.
I live in Nottingham, so many places described in this book are close-by which makes it a bit more pe
Janice Bonczek
The third book in Angus Donald's Outlaw series, and the continuing adventures of Robin Hood, as told by Alan Dale.

This book mainly focuses on the hardships of Robin & co. while King Richard is being held captive by Duke Leopold, and Prince John is trying to increase his power in England.

It's a well told story with good action scenes, like the other two books in the series.

I recommend this for fans of Robin Hood and will be reading the next book, Warlord.
Monica
Angus Donald's writing is griping, descriptive and so much fun to read. The third volume in this series finds Robin tried and found guilty of heresy by the church, Alan labeled a traitor and Richard the Lionheart imprisoned abroad. In a complicated, cunning battle to bring the rightful king back to England and restore their names.

What I love about this series is that you never know what'll happen next. Donald has this way of making sure you don't know important details until you absolutely have
Graham
A grisly, gutsy, utterly riveting historical adventure novel. I've been following Angus Donald's writing ever since a Robin Hood-obsessed friend recommended OUTLAW and KING'S MAN is the third in the series, following up the Crusader outing HOLY WARRIOR. And boy, is it a good read!

No author writes quite like Donald: his style makes for effortless reading, and few authors have quite the kind of easy readability as we find here. You can start reading a paragraph, fully intending to stop after a few
Karyl
I have to say, I love the Outlaw Chronicles. What a fun and interesting twist on the Robin Hood legends! In reality, I'd have to give King's Man four and a half stars, as I liked it just a little better than Holy Warrior. The plot seemed tighter and moved more quickly, and I was completely and utterly taken in by the plot twist about a third of the way through the story. I was so upset I texted a friend who had read the book and encouraged me just to keep reading. I'm glad I did! It's the mark o ...more
Cindy
Wow! I absolutely loved this book! This is the 3rd book in the "Outlaw" series by Angus Donald. It focuses on Alan Dale, Robin Hood's (or Robert Odo, the Earl of Locksley)lieutenant. Alan is loyal to Robin, as well as to King Richard, the Lionheart. Sometimes these loyalties are polar opposites of each other. Alan is put to many tests to show his loyalty to both Robin and King Richard throughout the entire book, and always manages to complete the task, as well as keep his life intact. He becomes ...more
David
I first heard of/read Angus Donald about 2, maybe 3, years ago, when I read his novel Outlaw - a visceral retelling of the Robin Hood legend - and which proved to be one of the best 'new' books I read that year.

I also read the sequel to Outlaw, Holy Warror - in which Robin and his men travel to the Holy Land to fight in what would become known as the Third Crusade - but found it was not quite as good as its predecessor.

The third novel in the series - King's Man - is a return to form. Set back in
Simon Turney
After Outlaw and Holy Warrior, I simply couldn't wait for the ordinary trade paperback of King's Man. I bought the outsized ROI edition and then also the kindle version. And I don't regret it.

Outlaw was an astounding debut for me. It challenged my perceptions of Robin Hood, created a whole new epic around him and kept me rivetted, It also showed Angus' not inconsiderable knowledge and in-depth research into an era that is very complex and vast.

Holy Warrior took the tale in a different direction
Rebecca
If you ever felt your life was lacking tension, drama and action well the Outlaw chronicles following the many fictional historical adventures of Robin Hood and his band of warriors will supply it in limitless amounts. The beginning grips you with suspense and intrigue as you realise you're back in the land of England but you're not quite sure why Alan of Westbury is sneaking around with a decapitated horses head in the dark of night...but have no fear all will be revealed dear reader and on tha ...more
Mr. Matt
I enjoy historical fiction so much because I get the best of both worlds: I learn about a period in history that I often know very little about, AND I get to enjoy a good adventurous story. King's Man is no exception. I finished it over the weekend and it was a pure pleasure to read.

The story picks up on the heels of the second book. Robin, Alan and the whole crew are back in England, but Richard, the King, has been taken hostage on his return from the Holy Land. In the ensuing chaos, Prince Joh
Speesh
This is book three of Angus Donald's re-boot of the Robin Hood legend. The year is now 1192, and the good news is, that after taking part in the battles of the Crusades in the Holy Land, Alan Dale and Robin Hood have returned to Merrie Olde England. The bad news is, that their King, Richard the Lionheart, whilst also making his way back home, has been captured by his enemies in Europe and is being held for ransom in a castle in Austria. And back in what is turning out to be a not quite as Merrie ...more
Robin Carter
I have always been a fan of Robin Hood, i suppose it has something to do with being named after him and then eventually ending up living in the back yard of the exploits of the Man/ Myth.

When this series started it was with a part groan part apprehension that i picked it up, so many times i have read the tale and its been awful prancing Nancy's in tights, and then there are the movies, inc the recent Russell "where the hell is that accent from" Crowe version.

But All of that gets thrown to the wi
Karen
Read for a bookgroup theme of 'English legends' this telling of a story from the tales of Robin Hood was useful for presenting the history of the period and for neatly removing all the romanticism and 'cleanliness' of the period usually incorporated to ensure the 'merry men' part of the legend makes it all family friendly. This portrays the period as unsavoury, gory, treacherous and factional. I am glad that the book did not come with accompanying smells, although the descriptions of the various ...more
Paul
Undeniably the standout book of Donald's 'Outlaw Chronicles' series following the adventures of Alan Dale, cohort of English legend Robin Hood - also known in this series as Earl Robert Odo of Locksley.
There's just something so moreish about this book that makes it stand out from the previous books. Maybe it's the increased level of subterfuge, intrigue, twists and bloodshed.
I could write a more in-depth analysis but it'd only be poor justice for the book and frankly if you're thinking of readin
Mia
Very satisfying, fast-paced, told from the point of view of one of Robin's loyalists. I could have done without all the bone-crunching gut-wrenching descriptions of bloody death, but certainly these lend credibility to the telling of events.
Carmen
A story about King Richard the Lionhearted and Robin Hood told through the eyes of Alan Dale. While reading the story they described King Richard's capture in Austria and Germany. It was a bit surreal, as I have toured the castle in Dürnstein. Plus he mentioned Koblenz, where my family is from. Weird. But the characterization is awesome. You have no trouble believing what you read, it seems like the person would do it. The action and plot was also very entertaining. I'll have to read the first t ...more
Jeanne
I've had to reread this book since the first time I read it, I just flew through it! I've read all of the books in the Outlaw Chronicles (Outlaw, Holy Warrior and King's Man) and I can hardly wait for the fourth, which won't be released until summer 2012. Great historical facts, great action and adventure and a totally new look at Robin Hood as told by Alan a Dale. As a lover of mysteries as well as HF, I cannot recommend these books highly enough - real page turners that grip you right from the ...more
Ivor Armistead
Each book of the series gets better. The action sequences are very well done. However, there was another jarring anachronism. Pray tell how a semi-literate man-at-arms in the twelfth century could know anything of the mountains on the Moon? Who is the editor?
  • The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3)
  • The Splintered Kingdom (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #2)
  • Hereward (Hereward #1)
  • Avenger of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #3)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Wolf's Gold (Empire, #5)
  • Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord, #1)
  • Hodd
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)
  • Robin and the King (Sherwood, #2)
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)
  • Buccaneer (Hector Lynch, #2)
  • Traitor's Blood (Civil War Chronicles, #1)

The Outlaw Chronicles (7 books)
  • Outlaw (The Outlaw Chronicles, #1)
  • Holy Warrior (The Outlaw Chronicles, #2)
  • Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4)
  • Grail Knight (The Outlaw Chronicles # 5)
  • The Iron Castle (Outlaw Chronicles # 6)
  • The King's Assassin (The Outlaw Chronicles, #7)
Outlaw (The Outlaw Chronicles, #1) Holy Warrior (The Outlaw Chronicles, #2) Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4) Grail Knight (The Outlaw Chronicles # 5) The Iron Castle (Outlaw Chronicles # 6)