Start by marking “What Chinese Want: Culture, Communism and the Modern Chinese Consumer” as Want to Read:
What Chinese Want: Culture, Communism and the Modern Chinese Consumer

What Chinese Want: Culture, Communism and the Modern Chinese Consumer

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Today, most Americans take for granted that China will be the next global superpower. But despite the nation's growing influence, the average Chinese person is still a mystery - or, at best, a baffling set of seeming contradictions - to Westerners who expect the rising Chinese consumer to resemble themselves. Here, Tom Doctoroff, the guiding force of advertising giant J. W ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade

To ask other readers questions about What Chinese Want, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Chinese Want

Kate
I would actually probably give this a 3.5 - but not a 4, so I opted for the lower rating.

It's important to remember that this is first and foremost a business book. I had been reading in the last little while a few personal narratives about life in China - so I went in with that mindset. I found it a little slow going at first. I was a little frustrated by the format (typical business book - not a narrative structure). So that took some getting used to.

About 1/2 way through, I finally started to
Zbhall
Not that interesting. Repetitive writing style. The book is not long, but probably could have been about 40% shorter if the author didn't continue to repeat himself. The brush he paints with is a bit too broad.

Oh well.
Michaeld
I received this book through Good Reads give-aways. When I glanced at the give-away and read through the synopsis, I thought it would be a good read and luckily I won a copy.

The book definitely had many black-and-white points. I don't feel this takes away from the material, but I do feel it takes away from China's potential and remains a bit oblivious to the United States empire falling (one day...). I'm not one to say that the US will fall, but I definitely don't feel that China is the Yang to
Matthew Christensen
Tom Doctoroff has opinions and he isn't afraid to express them. There is no beating around the bush here. I appreciated his direct style and getting right to the point, though he has a tendency to oversimplify things. There is nothing worse than dancing around the issue to the point that you're not sure where the author stands. Not so with Doctoroff. He also tends to overgeneralize, saying things such as :

"Chinese fear chaos; they are unable to imagine social order without autocratic control."(p
Andrew
Interesting quasi-academic book on China from marketing/advertising guru Tom Doctoroff. His writing style is verbose, sometimes too much so, but remains engaging, even if I did have to pull out a dictionary at times. Doctoroff's marketing/advertising background provides a distinct and unique framework for analyzing China. He conceptualizes topics in terms of "brands", making for a very interesting read unlike any other treatment of contemporary Chinese society. While Doctoroff excels at dissecti ...more
Haitong Ye
Insights from a western advertiser, decode Chinese consumer motivation into core. Brilliant approach!
Marc
Much of the book is directed to marketing professionals and isn't that interesting to the layperson, but there's still some good stuff I learned about the culture. The author does like to repeat certain phrases a lot, which is a bit annoying like "one can't understate the importance of..."
Shawn
Definitely better than his previous book. I am still very dissatisfied with his insistence on saying China is a Confucian society. This is worth the read for those new to China, just make sure you take some of the ideas in with other books at the same time.
Lucy
Good deep understanding of Chinese consumers
Bonnie
Bonnie is currently reading it
May 09, 2015
Daniel Ralchev
Daniel Ralchev marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Franziska Dienst
Franziska Dienst is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Antonio Musa
Antonio Musa marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Federico
Federico marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Thomas Jiang
Thomas Jiang marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Oliver Keen
Oliver Keen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Michael Shulman
Michael Shulman marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Vlad Zolotarev
Vlad Zolotarev marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Liam O'Raghallaigh
Liam O'Raghallaigh marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Chirag Craig
Chirag Craig marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Gertrūda Gilytė
Gertrūda Gilytė marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
citishurik
citishurik marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
  • China Airborne
  • China: Portrait of a People
  • What Does China Think?
  • Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, 1958-1962
  • Tiger Head, Snake Tails: China today, how it got there and why it has to change
  • Damodaran on Valuation: Security Analysis for Investment and Corporate Finance
  • China: Fragile Superpower
  • Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province
  • China in the 21st Century
  • The Dragon's Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa
  • When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order
  • When China Ruled the Seas: The Treasure Fleet of the Dragon Throne, 1405-1433
Tom Doctoroff is the CEO of J. Walter Thompson Asia Pacific and one of Asia’s most respected advertising professionals. His unique combination of pan-Asian work, plus more than a decade based in China, has made him an expert in the cross-border management of brand architecture and brand building, as well as a leading expert in Chinese consumer psychology.

He has appeared regularly on CNBC, NBC’s Th
More about Tom Doctoroff...
Billions: Selling to the New Chinese Consumer Twitter is Not a Strategy: Rediscovering the Art of Brand Marketing