Start by marking “The Winner Effect: The Neuroscience of Success and Failure” as Want to Read:
The Winner Effect: The Neuroscience of Success and Failure

The Winner Effect: The Neuroscience of Success and Failure

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What makes a winner? Why do some people succeed both in life and in business, and others fail? Why do a few individuals end up supremely powerful, while many remain powerless?

The “winner effect” is a term used in biology to describe how an animal that has won a few fights against weak opponents is much more likely to win later bouts against stronger contenders. As Ian Robe
Published October 16th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Winner Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winner Effect

David Dinaburg
There is something too simple about The Winner Effect, something about the colloquial tone covering some of neuroscience’s most in-depth and detailed fMRI-fuelled discoveries that makes me wonder: what, exactly, am I learning here?
The right prefrontal cortex has a predilection for a quite different chemical messenger than the dopamine of its gung-ho partner - its favoured neurochemical cocktail is noradrenaline...[which is] linked to vigilant, watchful behaviour in real life, and that this in tu
Adrian Lee
Chock full of anecdotes from history and social experiments, this book tries to explain the contextual nature of power - how winning primes our neurocircuitry to take more risks, narrow our focus, and increase our egocentricity, with all the attendant benefits and disadvantages. More intriguingly, it makes the case for describing all relationships in terms of power plays (whether or not we are conscious of this), and describes the vicious feedback loops involved in power addiction and the resolu ...more
Daniel Taylor
Every one of us is a winner in some area of life -- we all hold power over at least one other person.

In this book, Robertson poses many questions related to winning: Are we born to win? Is winning a matter of chance and circumstance? What does power do to us? Why do we want to win? Does winning have a downside?

He gives a thorough answer to these questions as he explores the factors that affect winning, but the book does lurch from topic to topic quite quickly and in a way that's jarring.

It's an
Paul Bard
When, in this book, Ian Robertson's writing jumps from subject to subject in rhetorical circles to engage attention, he is overestimating the attention span of his audience. And at least in my case, over-esteeming the interest of the lay reader in what he has to say.

And no, I'm not saying it's boring. I'm saying it's long-winded and circuitous. The book uses a frame of " five mysteries" for things that are actually self-evident.

We are treated to a chapter on Carol Dweck's non-determinism, follow
Mihai Pintilie
Key points

The Winner Effect

Deal with all the unconscious prejudices towards success or being a winner!

Power puts blinders on us, makes us more focused.

Noradrenaline causes caution and it's a lack of power.

The need for power is an extremely important personality indicator and suggests how your interraction will go with that person.

Social evaluative threat (SET) is toxic and it occurs over time.

Money boosts the sense of self sufficiency and gets you have more control to focus on what you want, it
Sinduja Ragunathan
A good read. This one sure has plenty of original and authentic research studies quoted; including ones that even regular psychology enthusiasts might not have heard of. It sticks to the main point of what makes winners and how winning affects them. However, I felt it emphasized more on power rather than other factors.

The only downside of the book is how each chapter has been structured. To support one main point, the author begins with an example, and to support that example, he moves to anothe
Dvir Oren
Good book, main point is that winning makes up more likely to win, because it changes our brain. Increasing our testostorone levels and other cool things.

Don't read the book, instead I recommend you watch the author's ted talks available on youtube, where he gets to the point much faster lol.

The winner effect
-Winning makes you more likely to win again by rewiring the mind
-Fake it till you make it! Power poses increase testostorone
Djphil
Good book, but mostly a collection of research about political figures with power......
Iglen
Mar 01, 2013 Iglen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mind
Pick it up in Library from a shelf as I do sometimes. It looked like another pop-science book which are frequently boring. This one turns out to be good one. It is miss-titled though, IMHO, it should be named how Power Corrupt Otherwise Good People (must read for bosses or who want to understand them). There are plenty of other interesting things. Have to check out author other books and references.
Martin Velinský
How testosterone affects humanity.

The author takes us on a journey through interesting studies, where he slowly, yet systematically uncovers the reasons behind their results. Whether you are fascinated by the fact that Oscar winners live few years longer than non-winners, or how "evil" mass events like holocaust can happen, you will find your answers here.
Cassandra Kay Silva
This book was mostly about power and the effect it has on the way people deal with difficult situations. At times I think we have all let it "get to our head", and this seems to happen to people on different levels. This gives a good insight as to why this happens and what kinds of checks and balances we should put in place to check and balance this in our leaders.
André Bueno
Someone who has had success is more likely to have more of it in the future as a result of neurological and chemically changes. Through many anecdotes, and case studies, he describes to the reader this phenomenon, how they can harness this power in their lives, and the downside of identifying with the results.
Kumar Vikramjeet
I haven't read any book which explained so pragmatically the science behind why we behave in certain ways in certain conditions, as this book did.
The book mainly revolves around power types and it's implications.
It presents many research and experimental data to prove it's point.
In all it's nice read.
Janet
I hate it when they try to market popular psychology as self help. This wasn't self help; it was a reasonably serious (though definitely written for a lay reader, which I am) look at the effect of power on the brain. One of the more interesting books I've read recently.
Gregg
He reviews lots of interesting research that he ties into some nice, accessible stories. He overreaches in some of conclusions, but it's still very interesting.
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Frederik
Frederik marked it as to-read
Lotta Valtoaho
Lotta Valtoaho marked it as to-read
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Saku Valtoaho
Saku Valtoaho marked it as to-read
Shahine
Shahine marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Leonard Wolfe
Leonard Wolfe marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Pppkeee
Pppkeee marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Lynx Marks
Lynx Marks marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Sammara Woolrich
Sammara Woolrich marked it as to-read
Tneal
Tneal marked it as to-read
Nigel
Nigel added it
Petr Boška
Petr Boška marked it as to-read
  • Beyond Human Nature: How Culture and Experience Shape the Human Mind
  • The Loving Dominant
  • Social Psychology
  • Conversations about the End of Time
  • Human Anatomy: A Visual History from the Renaissance to the Digital Age
  • World Wide Mind: The Coming Integration of Humanity, Machines, and the Internet
  • The Chip: How Two Americans Invented the Microchip and Launched a Revolution
  • Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life
Mind Sculpture: Unlocking Your Brain's Untapped Potential Intelligenza visiva. Il sesto senso che abbiamo dimenticato Unilateral Neglect: Clinical and Experimental Studies Spatial Neglect なぜ月曜日は、頭が働かないのか―心が、脳を「変える」