Start by marking “To Wear The White Cloak: A Catherine LeVendeur Mystery” as Want to Read:
To Wear The White Cloak: A Catherine LeVendeur Mystery

To Wear The White Cloak: A Catherine LeVendeur Mystery (Catherine LeVendeur #7)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The seventh installment of Sharan Newman's critically acclaimed Catherine LeVendeur medieval mystery series, To Wear the White Cloak continues the story of this most remarkable woman and her unique family. Set against the backdrop of twelfth century France, Catherine's life is both a reflection of the bonds placed upon a woman in her society and the ways in which a strong ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Forge Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about To Wear The White Cloak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Wear The White Cloak

Kathryn
It took a bit to get into. There was something about the writing style that threw me off. This book is called a "catherine Vendeur mystery", who is one of the characters of the book. We are presented with a dead body within the first few pages of the book and the question of who it is and and why he is left in the family's home. Set in 1800's when people had various houses, and servants to open the house for the season, the family shows up to the house and it is untouched. In the only locked roo ...more
Susan
I love this series, although this one dragged a bit for me as I read along waiting for the disparate elements and storylines to become clear. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but in a nutshell Catherine, Edgar and family return from a year in Germany (the previous excellent installment in the series, "Difficult Saint") to their home in Paris to find what appears to be the rotting corpse of a Templar in their counting room (Edgar is taking over Catherine's family trading business). As they ...more
Spuddie
#7 Catherine LeVendeur historical mystery series set in medieval France. Catherine, Edgar and their household return home to Paris after a year's absence in Germany, where they'd gone to assist Catherine's sister Agnes with a problem. Upon returning, they find a dead body in their counting room, a man apparently a Templar Knight, as he is wearing their distinctive white cloak and a brooch. He was obviously murdered, and Catherine and Edgar struggle to find out who he was and why he was left in t ...more
LJ
White Cloak - G+
Sharan Newman - 7th in series
Catherine LeVendeur is an independent spirit, fiercely loyalty to both her faith and her family. The two sometimes conflict, but even though she has experienced joy and loss, her life is remains committed to preserving what-and who-she loves.Catherine's loyalty is sorely tested, however, when she and her family return to France after a long absence, and discover a Knight Templar has been brutally murdered-and someone is threatening to reveal Catherine
Patricia
Catherine & Edgar, along with their two children, have just returned to their home in 12th century Paris, only to discover a dead body in their home; presumably one of the many Knights of the Temple who are gathering in Paris to be part of the new crusade. Not knowing the identity of the body or how it got into their home leads to one question after another. Is their family being purposefully targeted? If so, why & by whom?

This is the seventh book in the Catherine LeVendeur series. Newma
Michele bookloverforever
Murder in 12th century France. Catherine, wife of a noble younter son turned merchant and a mother of her own children finds a body upon the return of the family from a trip to Italy. Who did it? She also finds a Torah left in the house her father gave her. What should she do with it. To whom should she give it? She is Christian but her father was a converted Jew who secretly returned to the faith of his father. This is problematic in catholic France during the Inquisition. She does find out who ...more
Julie
Eh. I still love these characters and love this setting, but this book was so filled with coincidence that it became silly. Do only three people live in Paris? The entire plot with Jehan felt ridiculous, Catherine felt un-Catherine-like, and there simply wasn't time for the sort of introspection and exploration of the times that I've loved from this series in the past.
Dawn
I have not found the last few Catherine LeVendeur books as well as I would like. A heavy emphasis on religion, piety and children has more than likely affected my judgement. This story is no exception. I’m getting a little tired of the same issues being a constant backdrop and hold out hope that the next book/s will be better.
Jan
Nov 09, 2008 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical mystery fans
Shelves: mystery
Set in the 1100's in France, the historical view of life of the time was perhaps more thought provoking than the crime. The ability of religion to complicate life as well as perceived social status appears to be as horrible then as it is now.
Jewell
This was my least favorite in this series. It seemed overly long and their really wasn't much of a mystery...a dead body yes but no one really seemed to care. Hope next one is a little better.
Meredith Galman
Weak entry in the series. Nobody's actions make much sense, the plot depends on everybody acting dumb, and Catherine and Edgar do no investigating until the very last minute.
Mike
Good addition to the the series. Plot is a little slow moving, but the characters are very interesting. The series story made some interesting advances in this book.
Crystal Karr
The Catherine LeVendeur Mysteries are pure delightful fun.
Jill Tool
Jill Tool marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Heather Childs border
Heather Childs border marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Chrisanne Penn
Chrisanne Penn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • The Confession of Brother Haluin (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #15)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • The Thorne Maze (Elizabeth I, #5)
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e
More about Sharan Newman...
Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1) The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2) Strong As Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4) The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3) The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)