Start by marking “Indonesia: Archipelago of Fear” as Want to Read:
Indonesia: Archipelago of Fear

Indonesia: Archipelago of Fear

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Indonesia: Archipelago of Fearis a fascinating and at times unsettling journey into the world's most populous Muslim nation as it struggles to emerge from decades of dictatorship and the plunder of its natural resources.

Andre Vltchek brings together more than a decade of investigative journalism in and around Indonesia to chart the recent history of the country, from the r
Published August 15th 2012 by Pluto Press

To ask other readers questions about Indonesia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indonesia

Indra Setiadi
Informative account of Indonesia from 1965 up to 2011, especially when I combine it with Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. However, I found the book too pessimistic on Indonesia's future. Readers without a direct experience living in the country will think Indonesia is worse than it really is, especially on the plight of Chinese Indonesians (I am one).

Yes, the pogroms did happen. However, I do not constantly live in fear. I never have to say goodbye to Chinese food, even in the worst of times
Marian Suwono
I don't know my own country this well. It's a depressing and sobering book, telling you about the country from the perspective of a constantly travelling investigative journalist who relentlessly reports about the sufferings in the world caused by the "Empire".
Eka Seira
at last I found a good summary with some opinion about Indonesia between 1965-2011, a persuasive and enlightening book.
"the nations seems to be united in its diversity of fears!" "Indonesian are extremely diciplined in not understanding." lol! no comment!
Aditya Candrasaputra
A good reading for those who need something to temper their optimism about Indonesia. This book offers a skeptical, sometimes too skeptical view of Indonesia, and how all hopes has almost been lost due to the removal of anything public and / or intellectual during the course of Indonesia's history.

Granted, this was written before 2014 but still a relevant read
Ayu Puspita Sari
Sep 04, 2014 Ayu Puspita Sari marked it as to-read
Made a wishlist shelf just for this book. I admire Andre's writing in counterpunch, so I really, really want to have this book.
Rossie
I do live constantly in fear in this wonderful archipelago. From fear of getting sick and can't afford the medical treatment. Fear of not earning enough to live and will get nothing from the government. Fear of going out alone at night, even though only to go to neighborhood stalls, as there are always risks of getting hit by motorcycles or getting robbed (experienced it from losing phones to car that was inside the garage). But also fear of not religious enough or not loving families enough or ...more
Leng
Leng marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Paul Inggamer
Paul Inggamer marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
ariel arrayyan
ariel arrayyan marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Ismael Galvan
Ismael Galvan marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Khoirunnisa Qonita
Khoirunnisa Qonita marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Jacintha De vrankrijker
Jacintha De vrankrijker is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2014
Bernadetha Shinta
Bernadetha Shinta marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Bob Lukman
Bob Lukman marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
James Johnson
James Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Mabel
Mabel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Shiek Tjing
Shiek Tjing marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Adolf Wenderisewei
Adolf Wenderisewei marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Nadiraalisha
Nadiraalisha marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Bin
Bin marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Saya Terbakar Amarah Sendirian! Point of No Return Oceania Western Terror: From Potosi to Baghdad Fighting Against Western Imperialism