The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Islamophobia Industry reflects the rising tide of anti-Muslim feeling sweeping through the United States and Europe.

Lean takes us inside the minds of the manufacturers of Islamophobia – a highly-organized enterprise of conservative bloggers, right-wing talk show hosts, evangelical religious leaders, and politicians, united in their quest to exhume the ghosts of Septemb...more
Published August 15th 2012 by Pluto Press (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Islamophobia Industry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Islamophobia Industry

Mark Jacobsen
This is an important addition to the cultural conversation about Islam in America. I follow this conversation with interest, because as a graduate student in Jordan, I wrote my master's thesis about different narratives about Islam in the United States. In particular, I focused on the relationship between language and power. I read dozens of books from across the spectrum, from Islam's most ardent defenders to its most vitriolic critics. My research confirmed by sense that so much of the debate...more
Steven Salaita
A strong book overall. While I find critiques of liberal iterations of racism to be more interesting than analyses of their rightwing counterparts, I have to credit Lean for targeting his discussion at a specific (and powerful) demographic.

If you read this, also check out Deepa Kumar's Islamophobia and the Politics of Empire (Haymarket).
Morteza
Nathan Lean's The Islamophobia Industry is a must-read however he failed to see that Islamophobia is not only the result of the American right-wing Zionism, the New Atheists have also greatly contributed to that industry i.e. not only David Horowitz but also Sam Harris!
Christopher Roberts
This is a good introduction to this subject but I wish it did not limit itself to the right wing. There is certainly a lot of Islamophobia in the "New Atheist" movement.
Arabvoicesspeak Jarrah
This is a must read book if you want to know who is behind creating hate in USA against Islam and Muslims. I had the author on my live radio show. You must listen! And you must buy the book and give to American friends as a gift.
We hate you? How Christian Right and Zionists spread lies about islam? http://www.arabvoicesspeak.com/blog/2...
Becca
Thanks to the author and goodreads for this First Reads giveaway!
Although it's not news to me that some on the right have discovered encouraging fear and paranoia leads to fame and wealth, I still found this book to be a worthwhile read. Lean concisely presents a variety of stories as evidence that conservatives are manipulating the public into an irrational fear of Muslims.
Amy
Nov 20, 2013 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, dcar, islam
very well planned and executed. clear and concise links all laid out in a way that would be easily understandable to anyone even if they are not well versed in how islamophobia is used to further political agendas. greatly enjoyed the care that this author took in developing his theories. would recommend to anyone with interest in the religious conflicts.
Chris Smith
Well researched and detailed. Best book I've read on the subject. Nathan Lean has a talent for research and journalism. I highly recommend this book to anyone. It is one I will refer back to over and over.
freedetainees.org
Excellent book, presented very well, a real eye opener that I wish everyone would read.
Arief Wicaksono
Interesting and provoking angles
Zee1
Zee1 marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kristin-ameera Crowther
Kristin-ameera Crowther marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Sarmad R
Sarmad R marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Cesalica
Cesalica marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Mackenzie Brill
Mackenzie Brill marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Arbab
Arbab marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Uhila
Uhila marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
M. L.
M. L. added it
Apr 27, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Nathan Lean is an author and scholar of Middle East studies. He has written extensively about Islam, American foreign policy, national politics, and global affairs. He is co-author of Iran, Israel, and the United States: Regime Security vs. Political Legitimacy and is a contributing writer at PolicyMic. He is editor-in-chief of Aslan Media and currently resides in Washington, D.C
More about Nathan Lean...
The Moral Psychology of Terrorism: Implications for Security