Start by marking “The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims” as Want to Read:
The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Islamophobia Industry is a disturbing account of the rising tide of Islamophobia sweeping through the United States and Europe.

Nathan Lean takes us through a world of conservative bloggers, right-wing talk show hosts, evangelical religious leaders and politicians, all united in their quest to exhume the ghosts of 9/11 and convince their compatriots that Islam is the en
Published August 15th 2012 by Pluto Press (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Islamophobia Industry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Islamophobia Industry

Mark Jacobsen
This is an important addition to the cultural conversation about Islam in America. I follow this conversation with interest, because as a graduate student in Jordan, I wrote my master's thesis about different narratives about Islam in the United States. In particular, I focused on the relationship between language and power. I read dozens of books from across the spectrum, from Islam's most ardent defenders to its most vitriolic critics. My research confirmed by sense that so much of the debate ...more
Morteza
Nathan Lean's The Islamophobia Industry is a must-read however he failed to see that Islamophobia is not only the result of the American right-wing Zionism, the New Atheists have also greatly contributed to that industry i.e. not only David Horowitz but also Sam Harris!
Christopher Roberts
This is a good introduction to this subject but I wish it did not limit itself to the right wing. There is certainly a lot of Islamophobia in the "New Atheist" movement.
Arabvoicesspeak Jarrah
This is a must read book if you want to know who is behind creating hate in USA against Islam and Muslims. I had the author on my live radio show. You must listen! And you must buy the book and give to American friends as a gift.
We hate you? How Christian Right and Zionists spread lies about islam? http://www.arabvoicesspeak.com/blog/2...
Becca
Thanks to the author and goodreads for this First Reads giveaway!
Although it's not news to me that some on the right have discovered encouraging fear and paranoia leads to fame and wealth, I still found this book to be a worthwhile read. Lean concisely presents a variety of stories as evidence that conservatives are manipulating the public into an irrational fear of Muslims.
Amy
Nov 20, 2013 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, dcar, islam
very well planned and executed. clear and concise links all laid out in a way that would be easily understandable to anyone even if they are not well versed in how islamophobia is used to further political agendas. greatly enjoyed the care that this author took in developing his theories. would recommend to anyone with interest in the religious conflicts.
Chris Smith
Well researched and detailed. Best book I've read on the subject. Nathan Lean has a talent for research and journalism. I highly recommend this book to anyone. It is one I will refer back to over and over.
Erdoan A.
Well researched and easy to read. Sometimes too much details and people-based stories, which took off the one star.
freedetainees.org
Excellent book, presented very well, a real eye opener that I wish everyone would read.
Arief Wicaksono
Interesting and provoking angles
Danah Hamad
Danah Hamad marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Syeda Afnan
Syeda Afnan marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Hamid Qureshi
Hamid Qureshi marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Ahmed Mohammed
Ahmed Mohammed marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Mila
Mila marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Zainab Nasser
Zainab Nasser marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Bluedays
Bluedays marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Hannan Akbar
Hannan Akbar marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Jeff Sorensen
Jeff Sorensen marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Halima
Halima marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Saadullah
Saadullah marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Adalis
Adalis marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Guipaca
Guipaca marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Mehmet Sumer
Mehmet Sumer marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Unquoted
Unquoted marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
  • Who Speaks For Islam?: What a Billion Muslims Really Think
  • Islamophobia and the Politics of Empire
  • The Thistle and the Drone: How America's War on Terror Became a Global War on Tribal Islam
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • Western Muslims and the Future of Islam
  • My Isl@m: How Fundamentalism Stole My Mind---and Doubt Freed My Soul
  • Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People
  • Hadith: An Introduction (Foundations of Islam)
  • History of Islamic Philosophy
  • Rethinking Muslim Women and the Veil: Challenging Historical & Modern Stereotypes
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • Islam and the Destiny of Man
  • The Israel-Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict
  • Islam
  • Daughters of Another Path: Experiences of American Women Choosing Islam
  • Sexual Ethics And Islam: Feminist Reflections on Qur'an, Hadith, and Jurisprudence
  • Agenda to Change Our Condition
  • Gaza Writes Back (#1)
Nathan Lean is an author and scholar of Middle East studies. He has written extensively about Islam, American foreign policy, national politics, and global affairs. He is co-author of Iran, Israel, and the United States: Regime Security vs. Political Legitimacy and is a contributing writer at PolicyMic. He is editor-in-chief of Aslan Media and currently resides in Washington, D.C
More about Nathan Lean...
The Moral Psychology of Terrorism: Implications for Security