The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Islamophobia Industry reflects the rising tide of anti-Muslim feeling sweeping through the United States and Europe.

Lean takes us inside the minds of the manufacturers of Islamophobia – a highly-organized enterprise of conservative bloggers, right-wing talk show hosts, evangelical religious leaders, and politicians, united in their quest to exhume the ghosts of Septemb...more
Published August 15th 2012 by Pluto Press (first published August 1st 2012)

Mark Jacobsen
This is an important addition to the cultural conversation about Islam in America. I follow this conversation with interest, because as a graduate student in Jordan, I wrote my master's thesis about different narratives about Islam in the United States. In particular, I focused on the relationship between language and power. I read dozens of books from across the spectrum, from Islam's most ardent defenders to its most vitriolic critics. My research confirmed by sense that so much of the debate...more
Steven Salaita
A strong book overall. While I find critiques of liberal iterations of racism to be more interesting than analyses of their rightwing counterparts, I have to credit Lean for targeting his discussion at a specific (and powerful) demographic.

If you read this, also check out Deepa Kumar's Islamophobia and the Politics of Empire (Haymarket).
Morteza
Nathan Lean's The Islamophobia Industry is a must-read however he failed to see that Islamophobia is not only the result of the American right-wing Zionism, the New Atheists have also greatly contributed to that industry i.e. not only David Horowitz but also Sam Harris!
Arabvoicesspeak Jarrah
This is a must read book if you want to know who is behind creating hate in USA against Islam and Muslims. I had the author on my live radio show. You must listen! And you must buy the book and give to American friends as a gift.
We hate you? How Christian Right and Zionists spread lies about islam? http://www.arabvoicesspeak.com/blog/2...
Becca
Thanks to the author and goodreads for this First Reads giveaway!
Although it's not news to me that some on the right have discovered encouraging fear and paranoia leads to fame and wealth, I still found this book to be a worthwhile read. Lean concisely presents a variety of stories as evidence that conservatives are manipulating the public into an irrational fear of Muslims.
Amy
Nov 20, 2013 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, dcar, islam
very well planned and executed. clear and concise links all laid out in a way that would be easily understandable to anyone even if they are not well versed in how islamophobia is used to further political agendas. greatly enjoyed the care that this author took in developing his theories. would recommend to anyone with interest in the religious conflicts.
Melanie
Dec 21, 2012 Melanie added it
Shelves: first-reads
Living in the post-9/11 era, The Islamophobia Industry sheds light on Americans' uncontrollable fear of much of the non-Western world. An excellent read for any who seeks to understand the connection between politics and Islamophobia.
Chris Smith
Well researched and detailed. Best book I've read on the subject. Nathan Lean has a talent for research and journalism. I highly recommend this book to anyone. It is one I will refer back to over and over.
freedetainees.org
Excellent book, presented very well, a real eye opener that I wish everyone would read.
Arief Wicaksono
Interesting and provoking angles
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Hayat Olive
Hayat Olive marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Hamza
Hamza marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Edina Truth-Jones
Edina Truth-Jones is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2014
Zayd Tutton
Zayd Tutton marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Faisal Sonof saif-allaah
Faisal Sonof saif-allaah marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Dania Saleh
Dania Saleh is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2014
Esperanza Writes
Esperanza Writes is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2014
Sakeenah
Sakeenah marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Zeshaun Saleem
Zeshaun Saleem marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Shana Watkins
Shana Watkins marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Pylyp Dmytrenko
Pylyp Dmytrenko marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Farooq Azizuddin
Farooq Azizuddin is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Nathan Lean is an author and scholar of Middle East studies. He has written extensively about Islam, American foreign policy, national politics, and global affairs. He is co-author of Iran, Israel, and the United States: Regime Security vs. Political Legitimacy and is a contributing writer at PolicyMic. He is editor-in-chief of Aslan Media and currently resides in Washington, D.C
More about Nathan Lean...
The Moral Psychology of Terrorism: Implications for Security