Start by marking “The House of Doors” as Want to Read:
The House of Doors

The House of Doors (House of Doors #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  613 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Bent on taking over the Earth, the deadly Thone have planted a monstrous device on our planet's surface. Trapped inside is a group of scientists, spies, and innocent bystanders. Part maze, part torture chamber, part laboratory, the House of Doors is a test. If its captives survive, the Thone will withdraw from Earth and leave us in peace.

Survival seems impossible. At ever...more
Published March 15th 1990 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The House of Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Doors

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Lovecraftian robes, MacLeanian heart.

I'd vaguely heard of Lumley and his never-ending Necroscope series as well as his Lovecraftian fiction. What I'd heard of the former didn't exactly have me rushing to check out the latter, but I decided to finally sample something by him and this novel seemed like a good place to start as I wanted something outside of the Necroscope series to start with.

The novel is billed as horror, but really, it's closer to science fiction, and even closer to a plan and...more
Erin
Interesting premise (an enormous castle appears with no explanation, causing international consternation and a then a group of people get sucked inside and have to choose among various doors. That's the good part.), but the execution wasn't my thing.

The bad? I didn't grasp the pseudo-scientific explanation (of what should probably be unexplainable) but what really put me off was the horrific sexism. The book was published in 1990, so it's certainly recent enough that it can't be explained away b...more
Donovan
The House of Doors and its sequel - The Second Visit remind me of the cult movie Cube. It's a fun read.
Jamie Rosen
May 12, 2012 Jamie Rosen marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I gave up when the abused woman mused about how at least she hadn't lost her figure.
Amelia
Sean McBride
I went into this book thinking it was going to be "saw" like. It was marketed as a "labyrinth which holds your worst fears." I also like the ideas which Lumley comes up with. He is a distant disciple of HP Lovecraft and has very inventive ideas (his best are the original Necroscope and the Titus Crow series, which expand the Cthulhu mythos). This story however fell short.

Poorly designed trite characters run around and act exactly as you would expect them to and the end of the story is the super...more
Clint
I just found this book 20 years after the first time I saw it. Though it probably should have had one more rewrite (some continuity errors, like 222 being Varre's number in one scene and Angela's in another), Brian Lumley's insanely fertile imagination and macho, balls-out style of storytelling make up for everything. Super cheesy, like the best EC comics, super violent and dark, super creative and always surprising, this is just Brian Lumley doing what he does best, raping the hell out of your...more
Carl
Well...

This book didn't meet my expectations based on Lumley's previous works such as Necroscope. I thought the characters were decent enough, but fell into stereotypes that belittled the work. Biggest disappointment (besides the damsel-in-distress) was the antagonist, who proved to be less "evolved" than the supposed inferior creatures he was tormenting.

On the positive side, this work of fiction would make an excellent gaming experience.
Kristine
It was ok. I took it on a trip so I would be "forced" to finally read it. Interesting idea on how an alien race might judge us as worthy/unworthy. (Not that aliens exist), but I found it hard to believe that an alien would have such petty human feelings of revenge, jealousy, hate for an inferior species.
Steve
I honestly expected something with a more supernatural angle, and maybe that is part of the reason this book disappoints me. I really enjoyed the first Necroscope trilogy as well as the Vampire World trilogy.

It's just "ok".
Susan
A bit disappointed as I expected it to be a bit more on the horror side. Over all not a bad take on the genre of aliens.
Genny Clary tice
did not read it. decided to wait till another time.
Athena
My favorite book of all time!
Michał
Michał marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Dean Fordham
Dean Fordham marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
April Hinderliter
April Hinderliter marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Rei
Rei marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Mari Kaczynoki
Mari Kaczynoki marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
David Garcia
David Garcia marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Dagon and Other Macabre Tales
  • Twilight of the Empire (Twilight of the Empire, #1-3) (Deathstalker)
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
  • The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • Fires of Eden
  • Storm of Iron
  • The Peabody-Ozymandias Traveling Circus and Oddity Emporium
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Waking Nightmares (Shadow Saga #5)
  • The Overnight
  • Straydog
20602
Brian Lumley was born near Newcastle. In 22 years as a Military Policeman he served in many of the Cold War hotspots, including Berlin, as well as Cyprus in partition days. He reached the rank of Sergeant-Major before retiring to Devon to write full-time, and his work was first published in 1970. The vampire series, 'Necroscope', has been translated into ten languages and sold over a million copie...more
More about Brian Lumley...
Necroscope (Necroscope, #1) Necroscope II: Vamphyri! (Necroscope, #2) Necroscope III: The Source (Necroscope, #3) Necroscope IV: Deadspeak (Necroscope, #4) Necroscope V: Deadspawn (Necroscope, #5)