Start by marking “With Charity Toward None: A Fond Look At Misanthropy” as Want to Read:
With Charity Toward None: A Fond Look At Misanthropy

With Charity Toward None: A Fond Look At Misanthropy

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Stitch for stitch, no American writer working today can match the witty scalpelwork of Florence King. In With Charity Toward None, the unreconstructed people-hater offers her pièce de résistance: a guided tour of the misanthropic life, and an inspirational handbook for Americans grown tired of "goo-goo humanitarianism and sensititivy that never sleeps." Along the way, she...more
Published March 15th 1993 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about With Charity Toward None, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Charity Toward None

M.L.
Florence King is funny and mean. I like her. She doesn't like me.

I've been reading Florence during an election year and alongside a few articles on the death of conservatism. She has written a column for years for the National Review and has described herself as a "bisexual, conservative, feminist." She's smart. And mean.

I don't know where to go with this review, so I'll just say that the world was better when Florence King was more widely read and the Republicans were the party of "leave me alo...more
No Remorse
Jan 15, 2011 No Remorse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Misanthropes
This is not your most entertaining book, but covering such a rare subject as misanthropy is what makes it a worthy read. Covering misanthropes of all kinds in different degrees and different time periods in the past, will give you many different paths and people to further study in the subject at hand. Reading the inlays and the back of the book made me think this was about to be a really, really good one, but I found it to be bland and soft for the most part, with your occasional great passages...more
Roland
I've probably read this book more than any other book on my list...and I don't even own it! It's not the deepest book you'll read, but it's a fun, entertaining collection of people who hate people.
Amanda Miranda-flores
Hilarious and morbid comic relief. Quite good as a reference point to remember that loving others really is just one the many choices we have.
Adam
Apr 16, 2008 Adam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those of Great Contempt
Shelves: great-stuff
Chicken Soup for the Misanthropic Soul.
L.
Florence is quite proud of the fact that she doesn't see what's wrong with the misanthropes of the world. She finds them perfectly rational and sensible. People annoy her--no, people never fail to live down to her expectations. She has, in this volume, combed literature and history for her compatriots, including Ambrose Bierce, Gustave Flaubert, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

She's funny, all-too-right about people wearing rose-colored glasses, and painful when she exposes one's own self in her scath...more
sarafem
I give this three stars because I like Florence King. She is hilarious and mean. She probably would not like me. I wanted this book to be more interesting. It had a lot of potential to be engaging and keep me riveted but most of it seemed to be about people she didn't really consider to be misanthropes. WELL FUCK THEM, I WANNA HEAR ABOUT WHO IS. My fascinations with Rousseau, Rand, and Bierce are increased after reading this and I'm going to check out more of King's work.
Tim Askin
I hate to give this four stars, but I feel for the author. I understand and embrace her misanthropy, but some of her tangents are distracting and obnoxious. She spends several chapters defending Nixon and even has a few valid points on the matter, but she defends him as if he is a god.

Further, as an avowed bisexual, she remains a dedicated Republican with no concern for gay rights.

In short: buy it used, don't give the crazy woman a penny.
Terri
Misanthropes have often been the most influential personalities that shaped history... and, ironically, usually the most interesting of folks. Miss King does a great job of collecting and telling some of these types' stories through her sharp eyes. Definitely a re-read type of book and one I spent foisting on friends by reading aloud.
Hannah  Messler
Regina said this lady is funny but her politics are awful and I can confirm that this is the case.
Gopakumar
“All that I have accomplished is the result of being alone.”-- Franz Kafka.
How can you hate people? Who else is there to hate?
Brilliant poison tipped prose. All the misanthropes discussed in this book portend or illuminate some contemporary American problem.
David Grasse
I guess I wasn't that surprised that I am endowed with many of traits which Ms. King asserts are inherent to misanthropes through the ages. I was also pleased to be introduced to Fisher Ames, the forgotten Founding Father. Overall, a witty and enjoyable read.
Ariel Cruz
Jan 16, 2008 Ariel Cruz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who hate babies and people who want to know why some people hate babies.
Shelves: journalism, satire

Razor sharp prose and a genuinely interesting subject. Reading about misanthropes is fun in and of itself, but reading about them from one of our best ones is a treat.
Katherine Shrout
I am not a misanthrope. This was not the right book for me. I do think Florence King is funny though.
Lisa
Misanthropy is underrated. But who cares what they think anyway? King is brilliant.
Joseph Sunde
One of the sharpest, wittiest pieces of nonfiction I've ever read. Hilarious.
Nancy
Meh. Only read about 20 pages. Too self-congratulatory and boring.
Dave
One word review: brilliant.
KC
Nov 04, 2007 KC marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love Florence King!
Will Hailey
Will Hailey marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Alejandra Paola
Alejandra Paola marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Peter Ott
Peter Ott marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Erik Luxton
Erik Luxton marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Give War a Chance: Eyewitness Accounts of Mankind's Struggle Against Tyranny, Injustice, and Alcohol-Free Beer
  • The Vintage Mencken
  • Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler: Celluloid Tirades and Escapades
  • I Shudder and Other Reactions to Life, Death, and New Jersey
  • Rebels and Devils: The Psychology of Liberation
  • Unacknowledged Legislation: Writers in the Public Sphere
  • An Age Like This: 1920-1940 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 1)
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
  • Bastards & Boneheads: Canada's Glorious Leaders, Past and Present
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head & Other Drawings
  • Artaud Anthology
  • Silent Movies: The Birth of Film and the Triumph of Movie Culture
Born in Washington, D.C. in 1936 to a bookish British father and a tomboy American mother, Florence King spent her childhood living with her parents, her maternal grandmother, and her grandmother's maid.

King showed talent in French, but unable to pursue it as a major at American University, she switched to a dual major of history and English. She attended the University of Mississippi for graduat...more
More about Florence King...
Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady Southern Ladies and Gentlemen The Florence King Reader Reflections in a Jaundiced Eye When Sisterhood Was in Flower