Joie de Vivre: Secrets of Wining, Dining, and Romancing Like the French

Joie de Vivre: Secrets of Wining, Dining, and Romancing Like the French

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An engaging exploration of the style that permeates all things French—perfect for anyone looking to achieve that classic French flair

For Harriet Welty Rochefort, anAmerican who has lived in France for many years with her very French husband, it’s clear that the French truly are singular in the way they live, act, and think—from the lightness of their pastries to the refine...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

BooksAndTea
Another installment of Harriet Welty Rochefort's French books (her first being 'French Toast'). It's been a few years since I've read her other book, but I really felt like there was not much that was new. And since I recently read 'French Kids Eat Everything', this book tended to pale in comparison writing-wise, although their focuses are different.

Rochefort wants to look at what makes the French so...French. Whether it's what they wear or how they interact with one another or how they eat, the...more
Heather
This was a fun, entertaining book that discusses the differences between the French and Americans. The author is a UM alum from Iowa, who moved to France after college, married a Frenchman, and has lived there for over four decades.

The only reason I wouldn't give this five stars is because the author uses a substantial amount of French in the book, and rarely translates it. I tended to skip over it if I couldn't determine what it was from the context, since I didn't want to bother constantly tr...more
Anna Cooper
This was the first book I read once I moved to Paris, and it could not have been a better book to get me in the mood for living in the City of Lights. Even if I hadn't moved to Paris, this book has so many great insights to the French culture and wants makes so much of it so alluring to us outsiders. If you want to simply think about how you live your life and little ways to make it a little more "French" and a lot more "joie de vivre" I recommend this book!
Vicki Luschek
Cute and somewhat informative by a woman who married a Frenchman and has lived in France for +40 years. At times Welty Rochefort is redundant, often quoting others in way too long introductions.
Tatiana
A fun read. I love the whole "what makes the french special" genre of books and went through a kick about a month or two ago on it. The author conversationally talks about her observations of french culture, her experiences, and her thoughts. Good beach read.
Kimberly Fisher
I loved this book. It's a very easy read and the style of writing keeps you entertained and engaged, while really appreciating the French culture and all it has to offer.

Not going to lie, it makes me want to jump on a plane to France ASAP.
Susan Zinner
A light, fun comparison of life in the U.S. vs. life in France for those of us who are certain that some cosmic error took place and we should have been born in France...
Christina
I found this a light, fun read for any Francophile. It made me want to pack up and leave today.
Emily
If you've been to France for a week you don't need to read this book
Erica
Oh to live like the French! They do have that Joie de Vivre!
Vanessa
Good look into the culture and lives of the French.
Kellyb
Kellyb marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Kaixin
Kaixin marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Brianna Brunner
Brianna Brunner marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Paris Livermore
Paris Livermore marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Irina Sedgwick
Irina Sedgwick marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Hadrien
Hadrien marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Sarah Arendt
Sarah Arendt marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
French Toast: An American in Paris Celebrates the Maddening Mysteries of the French French Toast French Fried: The Culinary Capers Of An American In Paris