Start by marking “The Sea Witch” as Want to Read:

The Sea Witch

Stephen Coonts weaves three unforgettable tales of men and women at war, with the sort of dramatic military action and undercover technology for which he is known. Included in this collection are:

The Sea Witch…

When young Dauntless dive-bomber pilot is sacked for reckless behavior, he's reassigned to a Black Cat squadron as the co-pilot of a giant Catalina seaplane, The Sea
Published May 8th 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sea Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sea Witch

Marc Leroux
I picked this up primarily because one of the three novellas was based on World War 1, a particular interest of mine. The stories were written over a period of 5 years and cover the Great War, the Second World War and the war on terrorism. Overall a good read, particularily The Sea Witch and The 17th Day. One of the strengths of Stephen Coonts is his attention to detail, and that shines through in the first two stories.

The Sea Witch
This is the story of a single flight undertaken in a Catalina s
Eddie
Three cool short stories which get me as close to air battles as I would like.
Tom Ackerman
3 pretty good, and action packed, stories involving planes. Probably not worth a read unless you're an aviation dweeb like me.
Gerald
Stephen Coonts is masterful in placing the reader in the cockpit of 3 diverse aircraft under radically different sets of circumstances. The book title The Sea Witch is from the first novella, which stars a fascinating workhorse aircraft – the giant PBY Catalina, a do-anything seaplane of World War II. A young dive-bomber pilot is asked to leave his squadron for alleged reckless behavior and ends up assigned as co-pilot in a Catalina squadron. The fact that he has never flown this aircraft appare ...more
Jerry
May 13, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We’ve long enjoyed the military thrillers of Stephen Coonts, whose Clancy-esque tales achieve much the same levels of suspense and thrills of that famous author at easily half the page count! “Seawitch” (the book) features specifically shorter works – three novellas about warfare in the early 20th century. In “Seawitch” the novella, a bomber pilot has been demoted to being copilot of an old seaplane, painted black and pressed into service hunting for Japanese navy vessels at night. An overnight ...more
Kyliankaj
Jun 05, 2014 Kyliankaj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sea Witch by Stephen Coonts

I read “The Sea witch” by Stephen Coonts.This book takes place at sea, when a rookie WWII pilot is chosen to help locate a missing soldier who went missing during the “Battle of Guadalcanal”, then the soldiers' ship is unexpectedly shot down by Japanese forces, and the rest of the book you will have to read yourself. This book is written in 1st person, which, I find, gives us abetter understanding, of the main character’s perspective of the story; because we can her
Christian D.  Orr
Three entertaining short stories by Stephen Coonts. The middle story, "The 17th Day," the one abuot the WWI American fighter pilot, is the most engrossing an hair-raising. But the third story, "Al Jihad," wherein the primary action takes place in Libya, has a plotline and characters that strain credibility and credulity, even by "escapist" fiction standards....suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

As for the titular story, "The Sea Witch," the combat sequences are exciting. But the way the s
Terry
Jun 18, 2012 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually three seperate stories with the common theme of miitary aviation. The title story is a tale of a Navy PBY (flying boat that was actually obsolete at the start of WW II)crew in the South Pacific. Crews modified these cargo/search aircraft to bomb Japanese shipping. The dangerous long overwater flights at night, along with heavily defended targets, is an overlooked story of tenacity and heroism in naval aviation. The second story is one of a fairly new WW I British scout pilot try ...more
Brandon
The book is a collection of three short stories, each having to do primarily with aircraft and air combat. The third involves the V-22 Osprey, although, takes place more on the ground then in the air. The first story is about a WWII PBY Catalina, name (obviously) Sea Witch. The second story is about an extremely brave pilot (in my opinion) in a WWI biplane. These pilots were hands down some of the craziest and bravest men ever to take to the air. Not to mention their planes were coated in flamma ...more
Adam
Oct 01, 2014 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“ The Sea Witch” by Stephen Coonts is a collection of three different stories:
“The Sea Witch” – Is a really nice story about WW II bomber pilot.
“The 17th Day”- chilling story about WW I pilots , who flew “paper plains” with so many mechanical issues, that it is scary to think about getting them into the air and flying let alone flying them into the battle.
“Al Jihad”- somewhat unrealistic story of an Air Force pilot, who stole a plane and flew in to Middle East to kill a terrorist group as reven
Charles Moore
The Sea Witch by Stephen Coonts. I remember reading one of Stephen Coonts' first novels. It was set in Vietnam and it was a pretty good book. I've since moved to other works but I saw this (the cover is great) and I was interested in reading some of his shorter efforts. This book is collection of three "novellas" but who cares about labels. I liked "The 17th Day" the best, and "Al-Jihad," the least. But, he stretched his wings, so to speak, and I like that always.

As Coonts says in the intro, "A
Bob Lee
Apr 03, 2014 Bob Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I finally read the last of the three unrelated stories that comprise this book. The first story is "The Sea Witch" which is about the crew of a WWII sea attack plane. It was a bit depressing but had good action. The second story, 'The 17th Day' is about a WWI pilot and his very very bad day. It was great with lots of nail-biting air warfare. The third story, "Al-Jihad" was about a gal who wants revenge on a bunch of terrorists that killed her parents, so she recruits an ex-Marine to help her kil ...more
Steve Rzasa
Nov 13, 2013 Steve Rzasa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read Stephen Coonts before, even after years spent shelving him at the library where I work. Picked up this paperback on a day trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. Out of the three tales, the first two -- both historic fiction -- were great fun. The third and last, a modern day adventure, wasn't as exciting and I found the main character excessively whiny. But it was good, too. Bottom line, if you like tales of aerial combat from World War I and II, with a dash of modern ground combat thro ...more
Phillis
Jun 01, 2012 Phillis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a 3 novella book. All written by Stephen Coonts at different times, from 1999 "The 17th Day", 2001 "Al Jihad", and 2003 "The Sea Witch". Each is unrelated and very good. Each has an airplane involved and a different time in history. I liked that they were a short read and brought the action up almost immediately with little writings on building up background. I've enjoyed Coonts' other books and had no concern I wouldn't like this one.
Jan
Mar 17, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I picked this up just before a trip because I love the PBY and there was one on the cover. I bought it for the trip, but never cracked the cover while I was away. A couple of weeks ago, I saw it sitting forlornly in my bag, and I picked it back up. I was not disappointed. The first story (about the Catalina) was read in one sitting. The second story was equally good as I could almost feel myself in the place of the pilot. The third story also captivated me.
Mark
Jun 19, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
3 wonderful novellas of men at war...WWII PBY action...WWI Allied aviators and a Post 9/11 "sub rosa" operations against Libyan terrorists...all with the requisite tech insider info...all great reads...Coonts is one of the best of the men-at-war genre...these 3 are of the quality of the "Flight of the Intruder"...Loved Them!!!
Chad
I liked all three stories. Mr. Coonts shows his talents in being able to describe so well the aircraft and the time period. The three stories cover WWI, WWII(Pacific Theater) and modern day Middle East. Not Mr. Coonts best work, but still pretty solid and a quick, enjoyable read (or listening on audio CD)
Ross
May 13, 2012 Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three good aviation novellas. Not the best thing Coonts has written. I suspect that these were earlier stories that he had sitting about for some time, and were published on the strengths of his earlier writings.
Graham Brown
Jan 20, 2014 Graham Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

This short story is fresh, packed with twists and turns and surprising at almost every turn.

Coonts displays his great knowledge of aviation without letting it get in the way. He also presents the nature of combat in its real, chaotic and somewhat random nature.
George
Jun 18, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This is the story of a single flight undertaken in a Catalina seaplane during the second World War. This tale reminds us of the despair of warfare at the individual level. The way the story jumps from one first-person narrative to another is distracting. Fun, quick read any way.
Jeff Crosby
Interesting collection from various sources. The jacket claims this to be 3 novellas, but one is really only a long story. Still, I like the mix of World War I, World War II, and modern terrorist era. Very enjoyable, but short collection.
David Todd
Dec 09, 2013 David Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I prefer longer stories, that I can really put myself into, rather than short stories. However, these three short stories are dynamite. I like war stories, real or imagined, and have always gotten excited by aircraft. These three stories involve both interests. Very highly recommended.
Potsdam Public
Dec 17, 2012 Potsdam Public rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: patron
Good Read! Enjoyed the in depth descriptions of the air-crafts featured in this book.
Jrhoney
Feb 02, 2014 Jrhoney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 good short stories. Lot about military aircraft.
Val
Jan 31, 2013 Val rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
War - what is it? These three novellas, read by Dick Hill, tell the story. I especially enjoyed the first tale, for which the book is named.
James Shearer
Jun 23, 2014 James Shearer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
I like the way this guy write and I love war stories. This book does not disappoint with only one exception...it comes to an end. Don't care what others think...this is a five.
Lee
May 22, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the three stories. They were all very different with very different wartime settings. I would recommend this book.
Matt Gardner
Apr 30, 2014 Matt Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, to the point, three stories in one book.
Don Perschau
I enjoyed these three short novels all in one set. Military fiction with the unusual star of each story an airplane. Three different wars.
Bill
Jan 30, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting novellas centering on period aircraft.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Call to Arms
  • Soldier of Fortune (Captain Rawson, #1)
  • Lee at the Alamo
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • Night of the Cobra (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #8)
  • Eureka
  • Shattered Trident (Jerry Mitchell, #4)
  • Land Of Fire
  • A Devil Is Waiting (Sean Dillon #19)
  • The Last Line
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Goshawk Squadron
  • The Bloody Road to Death
  • Sgt. Rock: Between Hell and a Hard Place
  • Pursuit
  • Covert Warriors (Presidential Agent, #7)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...