Start by marking “Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)

Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Jerry Mitchell is on exercises off the coast of Pakistan when his submarine, the USS Michigan, is ordered to a rendezvous off the Iranian coast. Once there, disembarked SEALs---experts in seaborne commando operations---are to extract two Iranian nationals who have sensitive information on Iran's nuclear weapons program.

While en route to shore, Michigan's mini-sub suffers a
Published May 8th 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Exit Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exit Plan

I guess if one were to make a blurb for this book it could read: "timely as tomorrow's headlines ... an action-filled romp through military details only Larry Bond can deliver." Sure.

To be able to start and finish a Bond book, I make a tacit, unilateral agreement with Larry Bond, as follows:

I hereby commit to read through without twitching to the unlikely background events of the narrative, in the expectation of receiving a detailed account of an imaginary battle that will blow my mind.
And to
I borrowed this for my 15 year old son who loves it and has re-read it several times. To stay hep with the young generation I read it too. It's a cartoon like thriller about SEAL special operations forces and an Iranian nuclear bomb and the exfiltration of an Iranian spy to a US submarine lurking in the Persian gulf. So long as the story sticks to the action on the ground with the commandos it's an engaging adventure story, with plausible action scenes and careful descriptions of different kinds ...more
Steven Jr.
If you haven’t lived under a rock for the past three decades and have at the very least dabbled in action thriller novels, then you’ll know the name Larry Bond. He has been a mainstay in the genre, with his most easily recognizable work being his collaboration with Tom Clancy, Red Storm Rising. Bond has been praised for his gripping plots, his attention to military detail, and tight prose, and all of that is apparent in Exit Plan, an entry in his Jerry Mitchell series.

In Exit Plan, Bond approach
Ned Frederick
A stellar example of the genre. I liked this book but it didn't really shine until the last 100 pages. I spent the first 2/3 of the book amused, entertained but annoyed by the politicians and military brass who seem more interested in not upsetting our enemies than completing this globally significant mission and protecting our folks on the ground. Without revealing too much ... There is a SEAL team stuck in coastal Iran with critically important intelligence. There is a lot of maneuvering to po ...more
Larry Bond has been slipping quite a bit lately, what with the co-authored books which are kind of lame and seemed to have just become another has been. In "Exit Plan", though, Bond brings back his A game. He must have written this one himself. I could hardly put it down. It even seemed realistic. Very good SEAL action, naval action, submarine warefare...this book has it all it seems.

However, perhaps most interesting is the outstanding job the author does of describing the terrain inside Iran. N
Robert Dunlap
Very good research. Very good viewpoint. Bond is able to get engross the reader in Iranian geography and geology without being boring or resorting to overly obvious literary devices. There is also a skillful distinction in all the different feelings of Iranian people: they aren't all fundamentalist, they don't all support the regime, there is significant internal dissension, there are politics and people just like anywhere else.

Also, though we in the West are rightly concerned with the Iranian n
Lee Boyland
Iran has bragged themselves into a corner. Half of the West and Israel believes that Iran is close to building “the bomb.” But, the mullahs have a problem—they can’t make their centrifuges work, and if they admit it they become the laughingstock of the Muslim world. What to do?

Larry Bond takes this idea and crafts and intriguing tale. Opal, an Iranian spy has the answer, and to obtain the proof needed to prevent Israel’s strike on Iran, Opal must be rescued. But of course, this proves to be easi
Dan Smith
3rd in the Jerry Mitchell series.. Mitchell is now XO on a sub off the coast of Pakistan.. Mitchell takes the place of one of his charges and is helping two Iranian defectors flee with important info regarding their countries nuclear program..

Very realistic story of how the characters survive being abandoned on Iranian soil until a rescue plan can be established. Full of action.

Cannot wait until the next episode arrives.
The third novel in the Jerry Mitchell series offers strong concise writing, interesting, well developed characters and plot elements that are very cohesive so why only a 3 star rating? The problem here is that this is intended to be a submarine action series yet nearly 500 pages must be read before the USS Michigan or the Navy Seals have a naval engagement with the enemy.
A well-written book about the mission to extract two Iranian scientists who have valuable information about Iran's nuclear program.

The original mission is to extract the scientists to a central location and relay them to the submarine USS Michigan via a mini-sub.

However, the mini-sub experiences a catastrophic failure which kills one member of the rescue team and forces the others to abandoned the mini-sub. They come ashore and find the scientists.

The rescue team forms a number of plans to get t
Mark Polino
I really want to rate Exit Plan 3.5 stars. The story worked but some of the characters felt wrong. In particular the SEAL team leader displayed more anger and insecurity than confidence and leadership. You can argue that bond was trying to make a more interesting character but that goes against what it takes to actually become a SEAL team leader.

The XO's character also felt immature at times for someone who is next in line to command a nuclear submarine.

Finally, this is fundamentally a road tri
I really do like Larry Bond and I have to say that this was a four star review. However things kind of went south with some of the character development. The SEAL in charge of the group going in to get the two defectors was irritating to say the least. He came across as an extremely pessimistic whiner that was not happy unless he was bitching about something. Perhaps Bond thought he would put in a washed up SEAL character into the story. Overall the book is very good. And just when you think thi ...more
Well written and moved nicely. All business, very military focused and not much background/secondary plot but that is okay. Good story.
Larry Bond used to write amazing thrillers: conflicts likely to escalate into world war. His most recent books about Jerry Mitchell do not measure up although this one was better than Dangerous Ground. Iran's nuclear weapons program is a disaster so their leadership decides to fake success in the hopes of provoking a military response. A scientist and her husband, a security officer, are trying to defect with the truth, when a series of problems arise during the extraction.
David Marshall
I haven't read a military thriller for years so this came as a pleasant surprise. Although there's slightly too much technical information for my taste, the politics of this situation are interesting and the logic of the final episodes pragmatic. If only problematic situations in the real world could be resolved with such efficient disregard for the established channels of communication.

I found the SEAL leader to be completely unbelievable, to the point where it was distracting. He was acting like an immature 15 year old throughout the entire story. And the XO- if you got trapped on an unfriendly shore in a desperate situation, wouldn't you keep your damn mouth shut and not try to play "rank" games with the SEAL team leader? Let him do his job, even if you're senior. Other than these two guys, it was an okay story.
Hanna Michta
I did not find this book gripping, exciting, thrilling... at all.
The pace was slow, a lot of unnecessary characters got involved, and I hardly knew who was who in the end.

Not my cup of tea, this one...
Larry Bond' books never fail to keep me up to almost when I have to get up early for work.
Larry is a master story teller, and is up with Robert Ludlum for writing thrillers that keep you on the edge of your seat and want more.
I love the way he builds his plots, and you really care about his characters. Larry is an expert in many military areas, and you really learn from his stories.
Basic spy "in from the cold" extraction story...Irani spies tied to their nuke program need to be extracted...this a continuation of the Jerry Mitchell saga of a navel aviator turned submariner...The Michigan is tagged with the exfiltration of the spies and Mitchell is trapped In-country with the Seal team and spies...good spy fun!!!
I really liked this book,as well as everything else I've read by Larry Bond. His books are realistic and give you insight into the decision-making process of our brave men in the military. The plot is terrific! Would have given it 5 stars, but it was a bit slow in the beginning. Turned out to be a terrific read!

This was a tiresome book to fread. So many of the details add so little to the plot that I wondered if the author was being paid by the word. If he had cut the book by half it might have been mored interesting to read.
A decent thriller that cuts a bit close to current Middle East situation. Larry Bond writes decent thrillers that suck you into the situation and plays with your emotions as his scenario unfolds to the forgone conclusion.
Rex Eaton
Hard to hold my attention. The author used a lot of military acronyms most of which I knew however some I didn't. Mr. Bond did put them at the end of the book but was very frustrating as you try to keep pace with the plot.
Mark Cahill
Begins well enough, but the book devolves into a slow paced quagmire with numerous plot holes that eventually consume it. While Bond is a giant in the world of techno-thrillers, this book is one to skip.
Wellington City Libraries
Was an accomplished but routine thriller until the last 100 or so pages, where the tension kicks in and grabs the reader. It's okay, and has a very strong ending, but it is not especially memorable.
Al Menaster
Third in the Jerry Mitchell series. Best of the series. First two were good but very slow. This one is much better paced. Thriller trying to get defectors out of Iran.
Quintin Reitzel
This was an amazing book. I would have to look up and make sure that Larry Bond is not a pen name for Clancy. A step above Hunt for Red October. Great Book.
Russell L
A good story about rescue of helpful Iranian agent from Iran by a submarine crew and their thrilling fight to get out of Iran
Is this a "stand-alone" book or part of a series? 4 4 Jan 03, 2014 11:38AM
Is this a "stand-alone" book or part of a series? 1 2 May 21, 2012 06:25PM
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini, #4)
  • Tiger's Claw (Patrick McLanahan, #18)
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • The Outlaws
  • The Trident Deception
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
  • Defcon One
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Diamondhead (Mack Bedford, #1)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)
  • Trident's First Gleaming: A Special Operations Group Thriller
Larry Bond is the author of several bestselling military thrillers, including Crash Dive, Cold Choices, Dangerous Ground, Red Phoenix and the Larry Bond’s First Team and Larry Bond’s Red Dragon Rising series. He was a naval officer for six years, serving four on a destroyer and two on shore duty in the Washington DC area. He's also worked as a warfare analyst and antisubmarine technology expert, a ...more
More about Larry Bond...

Jerry Mitchell (4 books)
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Shattered Trident (Jerry Mitchell, #4)
Red Phoenix Cauldron Vortex The Enemy Within Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)