Start by marking “Going South: Why Britain will have a Third World Economy by 2014” as Want to Read:
Going South: Why Britain will have a Third World Economy by 2014

Going South: Why Britain will have a Third World Economy by 2014

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A provocative look at how and why Britain has fallen into decline from being a superpower in 1914 to being a third world economy in 2014 by two of Britain's leading Economists journalists

With a second recession looming, Britain is facing a moment of truth.Going Southexamines how the leader of the Industrial Revolution came to exhibit the features of a "developing country."
Published July 17th 2012 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published June 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Going South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going South

Nishma
This assessment of what it means to be a developing nation fails continuously to take into regard the power aspects of being "third world" - that which goes beyond the mere economic and instead drives the hegemonic. Britain's role in Imperial history is the cause of it's "developed" nature. That needs to be stated clearly and is not.

Otherwise a succinct argument on why Britain will economically fail soon, although its anti-immigrant stance leaves a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth.
Drake
Had this book been written two years ago, I would have labelled it overly pessimistic. Having seen both the response of the UK government to the financial crisis and the incoherence of public policy on all fronts under the coalition government, I am much more likely to credit some of its predictions.

I think the authors diagnosis of the economic problems of the UK is correct, but they put too much faith in manufacturing as an economic panacea.
Tariq Mahmood
Economists write for specialists, not ordinary lay people like me :( anyway these two did a pretty good job on keeping a number of analogies like football clubs and example of other countries that have done it. One thing is clear, a lot of factors they have picked out are pretty relevant. But it's difficult to see who and how the change will come along this very habit pronged country. Britain has to resort to protectionism in order to compete with the other string economies of the world. Can the ...more
James
What a miserable book. It sets out to paint the most pessimistic view of where the British economy is heading and re-casts the past 100 years of economic history as a series of failures. I stuck with it because I thought the nay-saying authors were going to enlighten us with a vision of how Britain should manage its economy. They didn't.
Liz Ely
Quite well written but yeah-no history of imperialism context,and an insulting and wrong appraisal of education system.
Daverock
Not a cheery read, but then not expected to be. Time will tell if they are right !
Dele Cooke
Excellent. Very easy to follow, read it!!!
Vivienne
Vivienne marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Amar Baines
Amar Baines marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Tom Dolan
Tom Dolan marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Akilanymail.com
Akilanymail.com marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Fantasy Island The Gods That Failed: How the Financial Elite Have Gambled Away Our Futures Her Family First The Age of Insecurity How Companies Lie: Why Enron Is Just the Tip of the Iceberg