Start by marking “The Darkest Hour” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Hour

The Darkest Hour (Detective Ella Marconi #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Paramedic Lauren Yates stumbles into a world of trouble the night she discovers a dead man in an inner city alley, for the killer still lurks nearby. When the murderer threatens to make her life hell if she tells the police, she believes him – he's Miles Werner, her sister's ex and father to Lauren's niece... and a very bad man indeed.

But when a stabbing victim tells her w
Published July 1st 2008 by Macmillan Australia (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Hour

Sharon
Paramedic Lauren Yates finds herself working on her own one night when a man comes bolting through an alley in the heart of Sydney. Lauren goes to investigate and finds the body of a convicted paedophile. Further down the alley Lauren will come in contact with another person, but this person is not dead and she knows him from her past. He is Thomas Werner who is Lauren's sister's ex-boyfriend and the father of her niece. He knocks her to the ground and warns her not to say nothing if she wants t ...more
Brenda
Paramedic Lauren Yates was working alone one night in the middle of Sydney, when a man ran from an alley directly in front of her ambulance. Jamming on the brakes, coffee going everywhere, she succeeded in avoiding him. When a second man followed, seemingly in a panicked state, she stopped, shaky from fright, to see what was going on. What she found horrified her... the dead body of a well known paedophile! Hearing noises, she investigated, and came across a person from her nightmares... Thomas ...more
Bigd_041555
Adjusting well to this Aussie writer and liking her slant on police procedurals, mainly through the eyes of a paramedic.

The series looks at a case from two different points of view, both of which are leaning towards each other: police detective and the paramedic. Well written with twists and turns, inner emotions and angst culminating in an intense final chapter.

The book also left me needing one more wrap up chapter, which I am guessing will be covered in the next book.

The story this time revolv
Renee
This is the second book in the Detective Ella Marconi series. I started reading this as soon as I finished book 1. It is another fast paced crime thriller, this time involving illegal drugs. The narrative is again split between police and paramedics, though it is a different paramedic to the first book. I empathised more with Ella and the police in this book, but I also liked the paramedic view.
Amanda Barrett
The Darkest Hour is the second novel written by ex paramedic Katherine Howell. The book features Detective Ella Marconi who returns from the first book written by Howell, Frantic. The Darkest Hour features two parallel storylines, events unfold from both a police procedural point of view through the eyes of Detective Ella Marconi and simultaneously through the eyes of paramedic Lauren Yates. The book opens when paramedic Lauren stumbles upon a murder victim in a dark, back alley. It app
MaryG2E
I really enjoyed this crime thriller set in Sydney, in which Detective Ella Marconi returns in her second effort to gain a permanent job with the Homicide Squad. Much of the story is a fairly straightforward police procedural novel, well plotted with lots of intriguing clues. The element that enlivens this story is the perspective provided by the ambulance officers, whose personal stories and adventures on the job are intertwined with those of the detectives.
Sandra
Not as good as Frantic, but still a good book nonetheless.
Sally906
Opening Sentence: “… The wind howled between the buildings like a creature from an artic nightmare as Lauren peered into the wreck, then turned to the cop beside her.’He’s dead’...”
Whenever an author’s debut book is as top notch as FRANTIC was – I always panic when I pick up their second. The expectations are always high; the reality is that sometimes those expectations don’t follow through.

Well, Katherine Howell has managed to do it again with her follow up book THE DARKEST HOUR. The investigat
Karen
Since finishing THE DARKEST HOUR I've been trying to think of another author who uses such an unusual protagonist's viewpoint of violent crime. I can't, which simply could be my aging brain, or it could be that Howell is looking at violence from an angle that not many have first hand experience of.

THE DARKEST HOUR is Katherine Howell's second book - the first - FRANTIC - was a tremendous debut and she's followed up with another tight, taut and suspenseful book, using parallel viewpoints which al
Jill Smith

Lauren Yates is a busy paramedic, trying to hang on to her job. Alone in her ambulance she stumbles across a stabbing victim in a lonely back street and calls for back up. What she doesn’t tell the police or her colleagues is that the murderer was there too, he’s her sister’s psychotic ex Thomas Werner, who threatens her life along with her sister and niece. She goes on with life thinking no one will know and she’s safe, that is, until she’s called to another stabbing, the victim yells out ‘Thom
Carolyn
I enjoyed this sequel to Katherine Howell's first novel "Frantic" very much. It was a fast paced read which kept me engaged to the end.

Lauren is a paramedic who one dark night out working on her own came across a murder victim in a back alley. Hiding in the shadows she sees a man she recognises as her sister's ex-husband, Thomas Werner, who they believed had returned to his home in Austria. He threatens Lauren that if she says he a word about him to police, he will harm her sister and her littl
Kirsty Cochrane
This is the second book in the series and an interesting read. I really enjoy the details that are offered from both the paramedics and the detectives point of view and find that switching the character in focus keeps me intrigued more than having one character narrate the book. Looking forward to the third.
Phrynne
Oh yes - that was good! I think I read most of that in one sitting - I kept thinking I really should be doing something else but who cares! I find myself really caring about what happens to both Lauren and Ella. I am constantly amazed by the incredible situations in which Lauren finds herself as a paramedic but must believe them since the author is writing from her own experiences. Amazing.
Joy
I am enjoying this series & am looking forward to No 3. Thank you Katherine. I take my hat off to all that are paramedics, police & firies. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
Tracyk
Closer to a 4.5. I love the way Katherine Howell tells a story. This is a long book but worth the effort.
Linda Camus
Loved this book, first time in years that I haven't been able to put a book down. Definitely going to read the rest of the series.
Margaret Stickland
The first of Detective Marconj books I have read so will read another,
Moffatleone
started off slowly and it was a bit confusing but then the writing got better and we were off! overall a great read.
Sandy Vaile
This was a complex plot that kept me rivotted the whole way through. I loved the sexual tension between the ambulance partners in the first half of the story, but it disappeared in the second half and I was dissatisfied with the ambiguous ending of the relationship.

Katherine's emergency services background showed in the excellent details of ambulance and police procedure, but the real enjoyment of this story was the suspense and well-rounded characters.
Jenni Boyd
Once again an enjoyable read and look forward to reading more from the series.
David
I read this book in one night - I just couldn't put it down. A police procedural intertwined with a paramedic ambulance drama set in Sydney. Non-stop action, multi-level, interesting and intricate plot, great three-dimensional and realistic characters and subject matter that is is well-researched and comes from life experience by Katherine Howell, a former paramedic herself. Great read!
Charmaine Clancy
A good story, liked the paramedic's story, didn't quite get into Ella, but I'll read more. It often takes me more than one book to warm to a main character. The action sections were well paced and sometimes a bit scary (in a good way).
Robyn333
Excellent suspense, I worry that Katherine's book always have a corrupt cop scenario. It cannot be true, I hope it is not true. I will definitly be asking that question when I meet kathreine on 24th at Gold Coast QLD Aust.
Tammie
Loved it! Even better than the first one with so many characters to tie together - awesome writing, can't wait to start the next one.
Erik
A fascinating view of the life of an ambulance officer, a great plot and interesting storyline make this a fun and satisfying read.
Mairead
It was ok, I suppose. Not bad, but not great. Maybe I was expecting too much, because the reviews were really good.
Graham Crawford
Another solid holiday read.
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Prime Cut
  • Dark Horse
  • Sunset Ridge
  • Nightingale
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • The Old School
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Fatal Liaison
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #01)
  • Zambezi
  • The Lost Girls
  • Skin and Bone
  • Poppy's Dilemma
  • In the Evil Day
  • Matilda Is Missing
Katherine Howell worked as a paramedic for fifteen years while completing her Bachelor and Masters degrees in creative writing. Her first novel, Frantic, was published in 2007 by Pan Macmillan and set a paramedic alongside Sydney police detective Ella Marconi in 'an adrenaline rush of a thriller' (Sydney Morning Herald). It won the 2008 Davitt award for best crime fiction. Her second book, The Dar ...more
More about Katherine Howell...

Detective Ella Marconi (7 books)
  • Frantic (Detective Ella Marconi #1)
  • Cold Justice (Detective Ella Marconi #3)
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5)
  • Web of Deceit
  • Deserving Death (Detective Ella Marconi, #7)
Frantic (Detective Ella Marconi #1) Cold Justice (Detective Ella Marconi #3) Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4) Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5) Web of Deceit