Start by marking “The Paperwhite Narcissus” as Want to Read:
The Paperwhite Narcissus

The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)

In this fifth book in the Victoria Trumbull series, the ninety-two-year-old sleuth finds herself embroiled in a series of murders after she is fired from her job as West Tisbury correspondent for The Island Enquirer (the editor claims the newspaper needs a younger look).

Victoria, determined to show that age is no barrier to news papering, immediately throws her weight behi
Published May 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Paperwhite Narcissus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paperwhite Narcissus

Sonya
Aug 20, 2010 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came after the one called "Jack in the Pulpit" which was helpful to have read first (which I had). I felt that the character development was good as well as the setting. It had an interesting twist as more than one person was creating the mystery. However, I did feel that "Jack in the Pulpit" was a better story. Victoria Trumbull seemed to make some considerable connections in tying the mystery together which I found unlikely. Nevertheless, I enjoyed listening to it (Davina Porter is g ...more
Jill
Jul 13, 2013 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's just say I wanted to read a book about Martha's Vineyard and found Cynthia Rigg's mystery online. Victoria Trumbull, in her early 90s is a wily, smart, no nonsense columnist acting as detective. I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery, the Vineyard views, the characterizations, the conflicts between newsmen--the egotistical, lecherous, unnattractive editor of the "main" island newspaper and the unassuming, unwilling editor of a one-sheet West Tisbury publication turned even more unwilling publish ...more
Linda
Apr 20, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few MP3 audio books my library has and so it was the inaugural read on my iPod.

The series has an interesting premise (92-year old reporter) however, with the exception of the occasional reference to antiquated equipment like typewriters, age has almost nothing to do with the storyline and seems irrelevant. Perhaps the character's age is an homage to Miss Marple.

This was a light, pleasant read and ideal for testing new technology. I would like to try another in the series so I
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I didn't think I'd like this at first, because the characters were so unpleasant and their situation equally so--the sympathetic characters didn't show up for a couple of chapters, after I'd nearly given up on the book. The sympathetic characters were fun, though, if a bit stock (sort of what you'd expect and want from a cozy mystery). The oddest thing was listening to Davina Porter as the narrator for the audiobook--she's a wonderful reader, but hearing a story of New England told in a British ...more
Bea
Dec 16, 2011 Bea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria is a columnist for the local newspaper (The Island Enquirer) on Martha's Vineyard. She is also a deputy of West Tinsbury. When she gets fired from the newspaper, she goes to a friend (Botts) who has a one-page newsletter and, through her wiles, gets him to hire her as a reporter. Then there are three murders, obits sent to the very alive editor of The Island Enquirer, and deception among island residents that all add up to a mystery that Victoria sets out to solve.

Very nicely written co
Neesha
Aug 01, 2010 Neesha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read any of the other titles in the series but I fell in love with Victoria. She is so feisty and I enjoyed how everyone just did whatever she told them to. Fast read, great characters even though the mystery wasn't too impressive I still wanted to read what happened next.
Debbie Robson
Yes, this is definitely a cozy thriler. It was just want what I needed and will keep the earlier books in mind too. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see how well Riggs handled the action when the plot called for it. A big bonus was the Martha Vineyard setting, a place that I would love to visit one day.
Olgalijo
Jan 31, 2013 Olgalijo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I've been liking this series more and more. The main character is just darling, and the others are pretty well developed. The portrait of the island and the comings and goings of the people in the different towns are very believable and engaging. That said, this book was a bit confusing, because some of the characters were too similar to each other, and I had difficulty making them out.
Pat
Sep 08, 2011 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the protaganist Victoria. 92 years old and still stirring up trouble; she's still sharp as a tack and figures out what's what! Having the setting in Martha's Vineyard added to the enjoyment.
It was fun, and an uncomplicated escape in an island mystery.
Leslie
Jun 20, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to hear a book about Martha's Vineyard narrated by a british reader. I goofed and read this book first instead of the first book in the series. It was a good story and I didn't figure out the killer or killers.
Marjorie
Mar 26, 2014 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the character of Victoria Trumbull! She's 92 and lets no one push her around! I have read all the books in this series at least once. Victoria is stubborn and opinionated, but smart and usually gets her own way because no one ever wins an argument with her!
Grey853
May 05, 2010 Grey853 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
This addition to the series deals mainly with the newspapers of the small town where Victoria Trumbull lives. People are dying and she's on the case.

I totally enjoy the atmosphere of the books and all the quirky characters.
Val
Jun 27, 2016 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Victoria Trumbull mystery set on Martha's Vineyard. The editor of the local paper is receiving numerous obituaries; he is the victim.
Arizonagirl
Martha's Vineyard series, book #5. A bunch of jealous wives. A narcissistic newspaper editor. Several murders. Obituaries. No plants.
Linda T
Light and entertaining. Good characters. Overly complicated plot.
Ruth
Apr 12, 2014 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Martha's Vineyard mystery. Charming read with a "Miss Marple" type lead character. Not sure I will pursue series though.
Jean
Liked Victoria Good mystery. Will read more.
Deb
Feb 08, 2015 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just didn't care for the author's style. I wasn't even engaged enough to try to play detective myself to solve the murders.
Shelley Hicks
Read By: Davina Porter

Martha Vinyard's Series #2

Easy Read.
Carol Heiss
Feb 08, 2015 Carol Heiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good one from the Victoria Trumbull series
Beverly
A good, quick read with a number of interesting plot twists, but overall, rather formulaic. A nice, simple "beach read" while recovering from a bad cold.
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2011
Penny Klabunde
Penny Klabunde rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2012
Heather Swearingin
Heather Swearingin rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Debbie Hale
Debbie Hale rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2010
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Deb Saunders
Deb Saunders rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Maggie Geyer
Maggie Geyer rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Death By Design (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1-3)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs. Pargeter, #3)
  • A Blush With Death (A Bath and Body Mystery, #2)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Thale's Folly
  • Angel with Two Faces (Josephine Tey, #2)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Blackwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #13)
  • Swim to Me
Cynthia Riggs, a tall gray-haired and imposing figure, is a 13th generation Islander, the mother of five and daughter of author and poet Dionis Coffin Riggs and school principal and printmaker Sidney N. Riggs.

With a degree in geology, her own remarkable resumé -- writing for the National Geographic Society and Smithsonian (she spent two months in Antarctica), working in public relations for the Am
More about Cynthia Riggs...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1)
  • The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2)
  • The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3)
  • Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)
  • Indian Pipes (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #6)
  • Shooting Star (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #7)
  • Death and Honesty (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #8)
  • Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #9)
  • The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #10)
  • Poison Ivy (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #11)