Start by marking “The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature” as Want to Read:
The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature

The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This thoughtful and incisive guidebook, written by a former animator for Walt Disney Studios, will help artists at many skill levels improve their ability to draw a wide variety of animal forms both realistically and as caricatures.
You'll learn why the author considers construction, action analysis, and caricature all-important for a clear understanding of animal anatomy a
Published February 9th 1993 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Animal Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Animal Drawing

Kenneth
I have a number of books about how to draw animals on my shelves, but this one stands a cut above the rest. Having been a senior animator for Disney in animation's golden age, Hultgren has a mastery of expressive motion that imbues even his least cartoony renderings with a personality and liveliness that are unusual in a genre where critters are much more likely to appear taxidermically stuffed. Like a skilled caricaturist, he hones in on the essence of what makes a horse horselike, for example, ...more
Carrie
This book is full of great information and wonderful to look at, and it's unique for its emphasis on exaggeration and caricature. It helped me a lot with my gesture and motion drawings and with learning to get more character into a sketch.

My only issue; this book kind of implies that each section is divided into "realistic" and "caricature". Actually, all of the drawings some level of exaggeration, including the skeletons and diagrams showing motion of the legs. Many of the animals are depicted
Christina
I'm glad I bought it. It's a pretty cheap book to come by online, and worth it to have a quick reference of basic anatomy for several animals. Plus the illustrations (759 of them, says the cover) are lovely and offer some wonderful inspiration for dynamic poses. They convey weight and sense of motion very well. There are more pages dedicated to horses than to the other animals, but there's a nice variety in the rest. Plenty of deer, cats (domestic and a few different big cats) cattle, foxes, rab ...more
Mike
I just recently got this book and I must admit, as a graphic designer, this book is quite helpful with learning more of the different animals' anatomy and structure but the only negative thing I can say is that it could be even more helpful if it had more words in it to go along with the images he shows you. Adding some instructions would help a long ways to showing a person how he got to each image. But all in all, it's very helpful.
Hannah
While the last page of each section was useless for me, leaning as it does towards the overly-simplified cartoon, the basic sections on each animal are quite useful and dynamic.

The whole of this text is more on the graphic/cartoon side, but by and large the simplifications are useful; combined with some other anatomy books and/or photographs, one could learn quite a lot from this volume.
Feather Dust
This book is a favorite on my shelf. Being an animal artist, it helped me learn basic anatomy. It also has a very good chapter on horses and not many animal drawing books will focus on equines. That's a plus for me! The author also worked for Disney so, he knows what he is talking about!!
Sheila Read
my dad loves this book he can use it to get designs for his leather.
Lionel
Excellent and diverse reference.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Sarah Naser
Sarah Naser marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Princess Purandah
Princess Purandah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Jake Finn
Jake Finn marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Amber Davidson
Amber Davidson marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Sajid
Sajid marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Little Breeze
Little Breeze marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
  • How to Draw Animals
  • Successful Drawing
  • Drawing the Human Head
  • Cartoon Animation
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Character Animation Crash Course!
  • Figure Drawing: Design And Invention
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • Oil Painting Techniques and Materials
  • Pencil Drawing Techniques
Kenneth Vernon Hultgren was one of the great "animal artists" at Disney in the 1940s. Born in Minneapolis, he studied at the School of Art in his hometown. In 1935 he moved to California to start his artistic career. Soon afterwards, he joined the Disney Studios, where he became one of the best animators. He worked on such productions as 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' and 'Bambi', doing model s ...more
More about Ken Hultgren...
The Art of Animal Drawing (Dover Art Instruction) the know-how of cartooning Walt Disney's Bambi (Gladstone Comic Album Series No. 9) Walt Disney's Vacation Parade Volume 6 Giggle Comics, Number 29