Start by marking “Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms” as Want to Read:

"As elegantly practical as it is theoretically elegant. It is a guided tour, as one examines the tools of expert teachers as they engage students in a journey that is aptly dubbed Reading Apprenticeship?learning how to become a savvy, strategic reader under the tutelage of thoughtful, caring, and demanding teachers.? P. David Pearson, University of California, Berkeley, ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Jossey-Bass (first published June 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Reading for Understanding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading for Understanding

Tiffany Ingle
Jun 28, 2015 Tiffany Ingle rated it it was amazing
Packed with value from cover to cover. I have used this book and used it and used it. If you are trying to bring change to your classroom and college to create more equity, I highly recommend this book as a professional learning tool.
Tara
Jul 23, 2013 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: school-reads
The Reading Apprenticeship Program is innovative way to keep kids focused on reading and building literacy skills for their futures... But with limited class time and an continuously growing to-do list, as a teacher I find it difficult to make analyzing a single one page passage the prime focus of a precious class period of time. Yes, there are many elements to the program that can assist my teaching, but it takes quite a bit more effort from an already exhausted teacher to implement these ...more
Marlo Spritzer
Feb 21, 2014 Marlo Spritzer rated it really liked it
Hopped around a lot in this one and didn't read every page, but what I didn't read I pick up in my RA training. Using these strategies has definitely transformed my approach and I highly recommend to others. My primary criticism is that in a world where teachers are encouraged to integrate technology in our instruction, this text falls to step up to the challenge. I've had to figure out lots of ways to marry the two approaches and have been successful, but fir those who are less tech savvy, ...more
Feb 03, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book was quite amazing. So much (almost overwhelmingly much) theoretical and practical information about how to really help students read--not just decode, but read. I picked it up to participate in an online discussion group with other adult education teachers. Their comments added to my knowledge as well. I'll be digesting this one for a long time, and hope I can start using some of the ideas soon.
Ben Benson
Oct 02, 2014 Ben Benson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oct-2014
This is a goldmine of educational resources to provide students with the tools and skills to learn how to learn and understand how to gain knowledge and understanding. A vast improvement from the idea of lecture and remember or answer these teacher generated questions and then remember them for a test.
Teresa Hintze
Feb 25, 2013 Teresa Hintze rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book, especially if you have students or children who struggle with reading. I am starting to use these strategies in my classroom and can already see a big difference in how I teach and how the students approach their reading.
Karma
Apr 06, 2016 Karma rated it really liked it
I read this book from cover to cover. Very useful information for teaching in secondary and college classrooms.
Mary
Dec 03, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I am re-reading this one to examine how my experiences with teaching reading have shifted my thinking and where I might find or notice ideas I missed the first time around.
Michelle
May 19, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Practical, research-based ideas for all secondary and post-secondary teachers on how to help students become competent and engaged readers.
Shaun
Jul 20, 2016 Shaun rated it really liked it
Had a whole ton of great literacy strategies teachers can use in the classroom to get students to be cognitive and metacognitive while looking into texts.
Marti
Marti rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Brittany Brewer
Brittany Brewer rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Srabraham
Srabraham rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2015
Mollie
Mollie rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Lorelle Wien
Lorelle Wien rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Gabrielle Frontera
Gabrielle Frontera rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Abby Berke
Abby Berke rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Joie
Joie rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Kirbee
Kirbee rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Eric Spreng
Eric Spreng rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Cathy Kroll
Cathy Kroll rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Kristin Hundt
Kristin Hundt rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Anna Verneuille
Anna Verneuille rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Jackie Sheppard
Jackie Sheppard rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Electra
Electra rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2014
nancy persons
nancy persons rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014

“most students are capable of complex thinking and carrying out disciplinary inquiry but have not been given the skills or self-confidence to approach these tasks effectively.21” 0 likes