Start by marking “Look Back on Happiness” as Want to Read:
Look Back on Happiness

Look Back on Happiness

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published January 1st 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Look Back on Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Back on Happiness

Katie
I don't think I've ever read a better first chapter. It had me hooked immediately and then throughout the entire book. I love the way Hamsun writes and how he incorporates certain sentences that contain so much meaning. Love it, love it, love it.
Manheim Wagner
Every Hamsun book is great, and Look Back in Happiness is no exception. Here we have an older Hamsun persona still seasonally wandering the Norwegian countryside in search of work, while commenting on the modernization. As always, Hamsun offers the reader sharp insights into the motives of people through his wide range of characters that all happen to stay at a resort lodge, where Hamsun's persona is employed.
Vladthepoet
Jan 03, 2009 Vladthepoet rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: read in original language if you can
This his last (or one of the last books) before he got involved into politics and tragically supported Nazi occupation of Norway, met Hitler (who read his books as a young men, well Gebbels read for sure). Of course, all of his books are gems. One of my favorite authors. I read this book in both Russian and English translation.
Michael Smith
This is the third volume of "Wanderers." I look forward to reading it. The first two books are wonderful—the narrator's outlook is strange and surprising. He is not exactly likable but extremely engaging, with odd relationships over space and time. Years go by, nothing really happens, yet you keep wondering what's next, what's the point, where is he going.
Mat
This was a somewhat different read of Hamsun than I'd grown accustom to with his past work. The style and flow however, was similar and I really enjoyed this book. As usual, there's not anyone who gets lost in the story along the way and it's a neat insight into the community of a small rural town.
Walter Alligood
Hamsun is one of my top five writers. If you ask me why I couldn't really explain except to say that his narratives are appealing. However, this book seemed a bit scattered with no clear point to the story. His writing took me through to the end, but this was not his best.
wigwam
It got worse as it went along.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Montasir
Montasir marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Iman
Iman marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Josh Mings
Josh Mings marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Nenka
Nenka marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
jaegrr
jaegrr marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Deedee
Deedee marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Ioana Zorbescu
Ioana Zorbescu marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Taif
Taif marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Malina Rusu
Malina Rusu marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Undrawn
  • Abel Sanchez and Other Stories
  • Eureka
  • Gargoyles
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two
  • The Book About Blanche and Marie
  • Piper in the Woods: A Collection of Science Fiction
  • Joe Vampire
  • The Pistoleer
  • The Chevalier D'Harmental
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1920 "for his monumental work, Growth of the Soil." He insisted that the intricacies of the human mind ought to be the main object of modern literature, to describe the "whisper of the blood, and the pleading of the bone marrow". Hamsun pursued his literary program, debuting in 1890 with the psychological novel Hunger.
More about Knut Hamsun...
Hunger Growth of the Soil Pan Mysteries Victoria

“Mens gryten koker lægger jeg mig litt og ser på bålet og sovner. Jeg tar min middagssøvn før maten. Og når jeg våkner er gryten kokt, det lukter kjøt og tyri i gammen.” 0 likes
“Kaffe av skålen, et forsvarlig smørogbrød med snedkeren, ingen unatur og kunster, det var akkurat som et lite fotfæste for hende her i denne kroken.” 0 likes