Start by marking “Yudonsi” as Want to Read:
Yudonsi

Yudonsi

Yusi wants people to notice that he is different, so he puts his "tag" on desks, walls, and even trees, alienating everyone in his village.
Published September 13th 1999 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Yudonsi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yudonsi

Janelle
Jun 16, 2008 Janelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: grafitti artists, native americans
Shelves: children-s-books
I'm often impressed by authors who illustrate their own books. Robert Blake is no exception. He traveled to the Canyonlands to write this story. I've been there and I think he captured the essence well.

The book reflects timeless Native American traditions and beliefs about how everything is connected. I think the Yusi/Yudonsi was a clever play on words, while expressing a message at the same time.

I also think Yusi's tagging provides a message to a broader audience, even city kids can connect i
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A Native American boy who likes to spray paint his name all over his village doesn't believe the villagers when they tell him that the canyon doesn't like this defacement. The story didn't have an emotional impact on me, though I did very much like the little twist at the end. I think it could have been told better.
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Danielle
Dec 08, 2016 Danielle rated it liked it
This book is a great book to talk about oral stories that are based down in certain cultures with a class room. This has beautiful illustrations. It also has great moral story within the pages. This book would be a reading grade level of around 3rd grade.
Talbot Hook
Oct 27, 2014 Talbot Hook rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for teaching predictions, ethics, and connections. Also, the artwork is lovely.
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2008
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2008
george
george marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2008
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2008