Start by marking “Time Flies” as Want to Read:
Time Flies
Preview

Time Flies

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  646 ratings  ·  61 reviews
introduction by Alvin F. Poussaint, M.D.
Published August 16th 1987 by Doubleday (first published 1987)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardWatchmen by Alan MooreBeloved by Toni Morrison
Best Books of the Decade: 1980's
384th out of 1,035 books — 1,149 voters
Beloved by Toni MorrisonWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Drawing of the Three by Stephen KingMort by Terry PratchettFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Books of 1987
79th out of 151 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Go
Although this was not even close to the humor in Fatherhood I will say that one particular section had me laughing so hard I was crying. My husband came into the room to see what was so funny; he had to read it outloud. Bill's experience with trifocals was tragically comical. You can't help but feel his trepidation toward his new necessary equipment to aid his vision but he also makes fun of himself as usual. He says people who wear trifocals walk with tiny steps to avoid walking off the edge of ...more
Tyler Dykema
Oh the irony in reading this book now. I bought it about a week before the first rape accusation this summer and it's been sitting in my "to-read" stack of books on my desk ever since. I finally came to the realization that I didn't have to feel ashamed of reading something Cos wrote because he might have (probably) done some terrible, unforgivable things. His actions don't need to cause me shame. So with that being said, let me just say... the book wasn't that good anyway.

I knew what it was abo
Tom
A few weekends ago, I had seen a movie, titled "Himself", which was solely Bill Cosby doing stand-up in front of a packed theater for almost two hours. I can honestly say after an hour and a half, it was extremely difficult to keep myself from laughing, because my stomach muscles hurt from laughing so much! In that movie, Cosby talked about three things: the dentist, weekends, and parenthood.
This book, published about ten years before DVD's were possible, is all about getting older. A pretty co
Tracy
I read this years ago (twice) and often laughed so hard, I cried! I love Bill Cosby, and the humor he finds in everyday events. He's such an inspiration to others, especially those that find themselves in tough situations. I admire that ability to see the positive and make light of things as a way to deal with the challenges that come our way.

Read this book if you need a good laugh, a stress reliever, or just need something to smile about. You won't be disappointed!
Jose
As a 22-year old I can relate to the troubles of aging. One day you are king of the playground, the next your are working at Burger King, playing with ground beef.
Sue Jackson
I recently heard that Cosby is going to be on another TV show and remember how funny he was both on TV and as a stand up comedian. Around the same time, I came acrossed his book Time Flies so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to read it. The book is 25 plus years old so some things are outdated but most of his thoughts about aging are timeless. Those include reminiscing about how he had been a good athlete and could no longer run fast or jump high. Other thoughts include the basics such for ...more
Michelle Balog
As far as a Bill Cosby book goes, this one was just 'ok'. I really feel like he threw it together, added a lot of filler (blank pages and extra titles etc). Its funny and a really short read if you are looking for a palate cleanser between two more in depth books. Maybe something for a flight or sitting on the beach.
Jon Clucas
"Immortality is a long shot, I admit," quips Bill Cosby; "but somebody has to be first" (152).

Billy-boy's not the only one rooting for him to be the first immortal human - I'm on his team. But time is getting short, flying if you will. This book was written just 1 year after I was born, but 50 after the birth of the Cos.

Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever shows us that immortality may be a possibility. A possibility, that is, for people who are still alive. If we achieve medical i
Molly Sparber
I can't rate this book. I'm a huge Cosby fan. Have been since I was little. But this book is BAD. This book actually took me THE ENTIRE YEAR TO READ. That's how bad it was. I had to keep putting it away, because it was that awful. I'm sorry for everything you are going through, Mr. Cosby. And I'm sorry for a negative review but this book STINKS.
Catherine
Every one over the age of thirty needs to read this. It's a honest portrayal of how your body will deceive and undermine you as you age. It gave me a good idea of what was coming and I gave it to my dad so he could see and acknowledge that he was up to his ears in it. He did eventually get glasses and his ears cleaned at least.
Mallory
A light, humorous look at the aging process and the many ways we try to stay looking and feeling young. We've been going through so much with my grandparents right now and it's made me think a lot about aging in this country, so it was a good time in my life to read this.
Jessica
3.5 Quick read. I expected it to be funnier as I LOL'ed only twice, however, I think the 50+ crowd will enjoy it more.
Lee
Nov 05, 2014 Lee rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: later
when I found this book, at the same time I also found a book titled: Quarterlife Crisis: The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties.

..just enough synchronicities to make me laughed out loud without being kicked out of the supermarket.

Suffice to say, I picked this book instead of that one.
Rather than being preached about 'it hurts when you cut your finger', all I need to hear is: "it will be better".
Rob
Jun 02, 2007 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Bill Cosby fans
Shelves: humor, biography, 2007
Time Flies, Bill's retrospective on aging, is replete with wit in the classic Cosby style, but he covers the same topic much more entertainingly in his stand-up concert 49. Cosby's humor suffers somewhat without the vocal dimension, since much of his charm is tied up in his timing, sound effects and imitations. (Seeing him in concert is better yet, as his facial expressions add yet another layer to the sophistication of his humor, but such opportunities are rare, and only his Himself video is r ...more
D.A. Cairns
Time Flies is a laugh out loud collection of anecdotes about aging by a great comedian. Funny, in a strange way, to read about a 50 year old who thinks he's getting old. I'm only five years off that, and I don't feel old. Anyway, among the gags, are some very profound points re aging and attitudes to getting old. The book also has a very long and serious introduction which is in itself a very thought provoking essay.

A quick, fun read with a worthwhile message underpinning it. Highly recommended.
Ryelor
This book was okay. It seemed a little repetitive at times. I love Cosby's standup, and this book gave glimpse of his humor. I found it helped a lot if I read it and heard his voice in my mind while reading. He gives insight on what it is like to turn 50 years old, and I found that there were a lot of things about getting older that I could relate with. I guess I'm getting up there? Two and a half stars.
Armag
zamanin gectigini hatirlatan her kitap fazladan bir yildizi hakeder. ihtiyar bir dost ile harika bir sohbet gibi sicak ve akici.
Becky
Oct 11, 2011 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: 2011-challenge
Its a short, funny book about aging and aging gracefully. Its full of Cosby humor and a great story about him losing his glasses. In this book he's fifty, and even though I'm twenty years younger I'm starting to understand what he's going through. I hope that when I'm fifty I have such a great sense of humor.
Melissa
This is a book about being 50 and the aging process. True to Bill Cosby form, there's plenty of humor. There were some read-aloud chapters and laugh-out-loud descriptions. Though I am not yet 50, my husband is, and my brother-in-law just tried to deny his way through it, so reading this was timely for me.
Steven
For whatever reason, I believe it was my dentist that had a copy of this book in his waiting room. After reading a couple of chapters, I bought it myself. Most of the stories about aging didn't really capture my attention when I read this piece at age 10, but I do recollect laughing out loud a few times.
Colleen Rue
I love The Cos!I own and have read several of his books.Time Flies is one of his best books.As usual,Mr. Cosby had me laughing so hard at times,tears were running down my cheeks!I'd give all of his books the highest rating of FIVE STARS!!!Hey,Hey,Hey....Bill Cosby is the GREATEST!!!
Bailey Jane
Dec 03, 2008 Bailey Jane rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that would find joy in some of the crappy things about aging
I read this book when I was far too young to understand it. I think I found it on my dad's bookshelf (same shelf as The Hobbit and The Brothers Karamazov, but this one's a little different), but didn't understand what Cosby was trying to say because I was 10 years old.
Ginny
Having grown up with the Cos I am now growing old with him. I have always admired how he can be so very funny and never have to use a vulgar word. He takes our everyday lives and shows us that we can't take ourselves so seriously. Life is what you make it.
Misha
I picked this up in one of those "Little Free Libraries" in my neighborhood. I LOL'ed a couple times and it was a quick read. Overall, though, it really showed it's age and it still made me feel old.

However, Bill Cosby is still awesome.
Leila
I tried reading this many years ago abnd I couldn't relate to his humor of aging ~ NOW I can and can understand it ~ too close to home ~ hm-m-m-m still not laughing but not because of lack of understanding but understand too well!
Arlene
This collection of essays by Bill Cosby about aging was published in 1988 after his 50th birthday. One has to wonder how his perceptions might have changed since then. He is always amusing with his reflections.
Dolly
Jan 03, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bill Cosby fans
Shelves: 2009, humor, nonfiction
This is a quick, funny read, although I prefer Dr. Cosby's other stories to this one. It has some wisdom and humor about aging, but it's more matter of fact and not as funny as "I Am What I Ate...and I'm Frightened!!!"
Cameron
Just have to love Bill Cosby. He has a great perspective and is so right on with real life in a funny way. You can't help but be afraid but full of hope in growing old reading this book. A great read.
Kaethe
I can't imagine it would be funny to a contemporary reader, but I enjoyed it at the time. Generally, I don't think comedian's books do hold up very well. Jokes date fast. Anecdotes hold up better.
Ellen
Christine got it for me at a book sale because of my love for Bill Cosby. Even though it's all about life in your 50's and getting older, I still loved it because it was Bill Cosby and it was funny.
  • Dave Barry in Cyberspace
  • Roseanne: My Life as a Woman
  • Katz on Dogs: A Commonsense Guide to Training and Living with Dogs
  • The Gun and the Olive Branch: The Roots of Violence in the Middle East
  • Gracie: A Love Story
  • And a Voice to Sing With
  • Murder Makes a Pilgrimage (Sister Mary Helen, #5)
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • Murder at the Opera (Capital Crimes, #22)
  • The Right Words at the Right Time
  • Collins-Robert French-English, English-French Dictionary =: Robert-Collins Dictionnaire Francais-Anglais, Anglais-Francais
  • Everything and a Kite
  • A Reporter's Life
  • We Are Our Mothers' Daughters
  • Teacher: The One Who Made the Difference
  • Book
American comedian, actor, television producer, activist, and luminary. A veteran stand-up performer, he got his start at various clubs, then landed a vanguard role in the 1960s action show I Spy.

He later starred in his own series, The Bill Cosby Show, in the late 1960s. He was one of the major characters on the children's television show for its first two seasons, and created the humorous educati
More about Bill Cosby...
Fatherhood The Meanest Thing To Say I Didn't Ask to Be Born: (But I'm Glad I Was) Love and Marriage Come on People: On the Path from Victims to Victors