Start by marking “Kindertransport” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Mama and I climbed aboard. I waved to Papa until he was only a tiny speck in the distance. The train turned the curve, and he was gone.

The powerful autobiographical account of a young girls' struggle as a Jewish refugee in England from 1939-1945.
Published October 15th 1995 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Kindertransport, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindertransport

Rescuing the Children by Deborah HodgeInto the Arms of Strangers by Mark Jonathan HarrisKindertransport by Olga Levy DruckerThe Children of Willesden Lane by Mona GolabekMy Family for the War by Anne C. Voorhoeve
3rd out of 49 books — 4 voters
Office of Price Administration Tokens by Wayne A. Cekola IIA Life in Secrets by Sarah HelmKokoda by Peter FitzSimonsTobruk by Peter FitzSimonsLancaster Target by Jack Currie
WWII: Recommended non-fiction
12th out of 18 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Allison Rhodes
The book Kindertransport was a book about a rescue mission that went on during the months before the holocaust and during. This story talks about how right before the war began the Unite Kingdom took in Jewish children in order to save them from a horrible fate. This book also happens to be a dramatic play that even played at the Manchester Opera House. I believe the purpose of this book I believe to was to tell a tale from long ago in a entertaining and informing way. In the story the children ...more
Shae
book review :

Kinder transport was a very good book, it's a biography of a younger girl having to move away from her family to another country. The author, Olga Levy Drucker try's to the best of her ability to remember all of her past, her purpose of writing the book I think is to tell her story and make sure history doesn't repeat it's self. The theme of the book I would say is bravery, like Olga talks about her hard times during the holocaust and everything she's gone through and I think it's
Michael
During World War II thousands of Jewish German children were sent by their parents to other countries in order to escape the Nazis. It took courage for Olga's parents to see what was happening in Hitler's Germany and send her away to safety. Their faith in humanity, hoping Olga would be safer with strangers, makes this an uplifting story as Olga found caring people to support her for six years. Olga's personal coming-of-age story as a teenage refugee is one of thousands. Makes me think about all ...more
Linda Lipko

After Kristallnacht, it became more and more obvious that Hitler meant business. His business was the elimination of Jews. One month from that terrifying event, a rescue of children was hastily orchestrated by Jews, Quakers and Christians.

From the first Kindertransport on 12/1/38 through the last on 9/1/1939, miraculously 10,000 children were taken from Germany and transported to England.

Sorely missing their parents and entering a new country with little or no concept of the English language, th
Mrs. Stock
Kindertransport is a good book that tells the story of Olga, a young girl who was sent away from Germany during WWII. It is a true story. Olga lived in Stuttgart, Germany with her parents, but when Hitler and the Nazi party started to put Jews in concentration camps, it was decided that she would go to England on the Kindertransport. The Kindertransport helped over 10,000 children get out of Germany. Olga had to go in order to save her life, and her story is a very good one.
Rebecca
Ollie comes from a wealthy, non-religious Jewish family in Germany. As she loses her non-Jewish friends, she starts to sense her world is changing but it is after Kristallnacht that her mother makes plans for her to leave the country via kindertransport, the program that took 10,000 Jewish children to live in England. She eventually joins her family in the United States after the war. I like the feistiness of this little girl and her descriptions were not of life-and-death events (once she had l ...more
Elisabeth Shannon
Kindertransport

I chose to rate this book highly for two reasons. First for the historical value. Second for the flow of the story.
Sandra Stiles
Olga Levy Drucker was one of teh thousand children who were rescued from Nazi Germany. They were sent across the ocean to safety. From the beginning descriptions in the book, one can tell that Olga's parents had money. Then enter Hitler. Jews everywhere lost their rights. Many lost their lives. This book is the true story of Olga's survival and the hardships she faced. It is a story of perseverance and hope. I am glad this is one of the books listed on our curriculum's reading circle list. I wil ...more
Naomi G
A good elementary/middle school persecutive of WWII and the Holocost through the eyes of one who lived through it.
Rachelle H
I have learned that the holcaust was a mean thing back then and that a lot of peaple died frome it. The girl in this family had to go to live with someone else beacuse the Nazis where taking over. But in the end they all where a family again. I didnt like the nazis because there mean becausethe hurt the little girls parents and almost killed there parents. They also put them in labor and make them so hard time. I like this book because in the end the parents got to go back to the parents.
Susan Adams
Interesting memoir of a woman who was one of 10,000 Jewish children sent from Germany to England without their parents to keep them safe as the persecution of Jews became more frequent. This evacuation stopped after Hitler actually declared war. Author Drucker eventually emigrated from England to the United States where she reunited with her parents and, finally, her brother.
Brandon O'Neill
Very much reminded me of The Endless Steppe - WWII child's memoir that was not my favorite. It is written at a lower level, so maybe I wanted something with some more meat on it. I have never read a story like Olga's however - her parents sent her to Britain before the war - she was part of the Kindertransport. It was interesting - just on a surface level.
Heatherk
This book is following the life of a young girl through the times of World War ||. It starts when Olga moves to her new home when her family finally settles in her life starts turning upside down when her family gets split up. She has to later live in boarding schools and foster homes. Then she finally is able to go to America and restart her life.
Ellen
I really liked the book. Drucker didn't dwell on the emotional toll of being shifted to so many different families, but it's clear that the children who escaped the Holocaust had a very strange and difficult childhood. Knowing that she and her parents were able to have "new" lives in the U.S. is gratifying.
Jasmin
What a well written autobiography - especially as it was reflecting the thoughts and memories of a child. And as Olga wrote at the end - we should all pray and do our outmost so that NO child ever has to suffer like that again.
Ava
this was exelent, exelent, exelent! it made me cry a few times... okay maybe not a *few*. every chapter at least had one heart-breaking idea. very understandable tho. i highly suggest this one!
Dotty
What was helpful with this Holocaust memoir was the sense that there were a few people who were saved. Life was not a walk in the park but bearable, not as one would hope, but not without hope.
Christine
Interesting to follow the children into the homes that took them in. Although their lives were saved they faced many challenges in new countries, new language.
Written to an 8-12 year old level. I liked the story, especially the afterword. A great book to give to a child to introduce the topic of the Holocaust.
Emily
This book was a good book. At times I got a little bored, but it taught alot about early World War II.
Seth
May 14, 2012 Seth is currently reading it
It's about a little girl living in Germany and Hitler takes over. Then her world gets turned up side down.
Pamala Hansford
Óne of man ybooks like this but well written for its audience, informative and a happy ending!
Janie
Not as compelling as some of the other books concerning the era, but it was marginally informative.
Aric
May 14, 2012 Aric added it
i just don't like how they can just take the people out of there homes to go to the consentration
Leslie Erosa
i learned all about how it used to be in the old hard harsh days.
Sue Jackson
An interesting and quick read not too harrowing.
Michelle
Amazing story. A piece of untold history.
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
  • Lost Time
  • The Lost Childhood: A World War II Memoir
  • The Abandonment of the Jews: America and the Holocaust 1941-1945
  • Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust
  • The Arrogant Years: One Girl's Search for Her Lost Youth, from Cairo to Brooklyn
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone