Start by marking “Go for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Go for Beginners

Go for Beginners

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Go, an ancient, subtly beautiful game of territory, is the oldest game in the world still played in its original form. This book contains its rules, techniques, a glossary of terms, and a list of international and American Go organizations.
Published March 12th 1977 by Pantheon

To ask other readers questions about Go for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go for Beginners

David
This is a go classic, written by Kaoru Iwamoto, who has kind of an interesting history. He was one of the players of the famous "atomic bomb game" that took place in the outskirts of Hiroshima when the atomic bomb was dropped. Apparently he devoted much of his later career to spreading go to the West, which is why this is one of the most well-known go books in English.

Iwamoto doesn't write with the same "personality" as Toshiro Kageyama in Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go. He doesn't want to sc
Joseph
Chess represents clear battle-lines; with advances and bulwarks defined visually by rank and proximity. By contrast, Go is the board-game equivalent of a Rorschach Test, with it's black and white stones flowing like monochromatic water into little pools and fissures. Deciphering who's ahead in chess is usually a simple matter of counting the pieces while making dispensation for sharp attacks and ambitious pawns. Discerning the leader in a Go match not only requires a ten-fold accounting job, but ...more
Matilda
This is probably the best introduction to probably the greatest abstract strategy game ever. When beginning to play go it's simple to get sucked in by the simple rules, but you quickly get stuck when it comes to the problem of playing actual games - the strategy is so vast that it's easy to get alienated quickly from the game itself.

This book however provides everything you need to get into go, and gives you the theory required good beginners standard (~20kyu?) when practiced in actual games. It
Sebastian
Only for ambitious beginners.

There are gentler books for beginners out there, such as the excellent volume one in the Learn to Play Go series by Janice Kim and Soo-hyun Jeong. Whether this book by Iwamoto is right for you or not will depend on how hard you want to work. If you are brand new to the game and need someone to walk you step by step through all the basics with clear explanations and simple examples, this is not for you.

Iwamoto starts by talking to those that have never played go befor
Enoch Page
Apr 16, 2012 Enoch Page rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dunia Adel
Recommended to Enoch by: A Welshman
I have read this little book since I bought it new soon after it originally was published. It took me years to comprehend its value while I missed many opportunities to dedicate myself to mastering the ancient game of Go. For more than twenty years I presumed that I knew the game but my rudimentary knowledge failed to advance until I tried to use this book again. I am not the reader I once was due to disability, but I need not stand on the sidelines. I can take my time with this book. Less than ...more
Andrés
I'm not an expert on go and this is the first go book I've ever read. But I've read dozens and dozens of rule books for board games and this book certainly works for me.
Steven
I'm going to have to spend time studying this
Chad
This is one the classic beginner books for Go. It is small and low cost, but covers everything a beginner needs to get started. This is the book I refer people to when they ask about go.

The first half of the book is the basics of the game. The second half of the book is basic strategy and tactics.

The only reason it gets 4 stars instead of 5 is that books like the Learn to Play Go series are more modern and easier to follow than this 40 year old classic.
Jenna
A tad overwhelming and perhaps it would have been less so if I had a Go board next to me. I may reread Hikaru no Go and try to actually pay attention to the rules, instead....
Coryke
This is a very dense read. Do not let the small page count dissuade you from reading this very valuable introduction to the game of go. Concepts are explained clearly and simply. Examples are plentiful and challenging. This is a book to which I will return frequently. See especially Iwamoto's explanations on ko fights (pp. 28-34) and eyes (pp. 38-40). These explanations strike a great balance of clarity and challenge.
Michael
I had dabbled in Go previously, but after reading this book it became clear why I had always been decimated. That is, my background is entirely in chess, and I tried to play Go with a chess strategy. This was a very eye-opening book and I can see an inkling of why so many say that it is a beautiful game. I must explore more.
Dian
This book is good but not an easy read. I had to take out my go board and played along while reading. I only read the first part though. This is a book that I hope to finally finished reading one day. It's a gem, but needs work and persistence.
Nick
A slim beginners guide to Go with an explanation of the rules, example games with commentary and some elementary tactics. The text is dense with ideas, so this will definitely need re-reading at some point.
Alexandr Fedorov
The best introduction to the Go. Covers everything you need to start playing. For further reading I recommend The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich.
John
A solid introduction to the ancient game of Go. The book gives enough information and basic strategy for a newcomer to start playing.
Alex
A good introduction to beginner Go plays. Expect technical explanations with good images.
Jeff
Much more in-depth. Good for the Japanese terminology as well.
Lina Skoldmor
Perfect for beginners.
Daniel Hagström
Great book for beginners.
Vytas
Vytas marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Alex
Alex added it
Dec 26, 2014
RuruHana
RuruHana marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Learn to Play Go, #1)
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games
  • ヒカルの碁 20、社 vs ヒカル
  • My Sixty Memorable Games
  • Three Adventure Novels:  She, King Solomon's Mines, Allan Quatermain
  • Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master
  • Think Like A Grandmaster
  • The Making of Karateka
  • Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals
Yebisu Celebrities, Volume 1 YEBISUセレブリティーズ 2nd [Yebisu Sereburitīzu 2] (Yebisu Celebrities #2) YEBISUセレブリティーズ 4th [Yebisu Sereburitīzu 4] (Yebisu Celebrities #4) YEBISUセレブリティーズ 3rd [Yebisu Sereburitīzu 3] (Yebisu Celebrities #3) YEBISUセレブリティーズ 5th [Yebisu Sereburitīzu 5] (Yebisu Celebrities #5)