The Private Life of the Cat Who ...: Tales of Yoko and Kim from the Journals of James Mackintosh Qwilleran (Cat Who... SSC3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  938 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Koko is a remarkable male Siamese who happens to have sixty whiskers instead of the usual forty-eight. Yum Yum is an adorable female who will steal anything, including hearts. James Qwilleran is a columnist for The Moose County Something who has recorded cat's exploits in his personal journal since the day each arrived in his life.
Audio
Published October 1st 2003 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about The Private Life of the Cat Who ..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Private Life of the Cat Who ...

Kaila
Being a long time fan of this series compelled me to track down this book and add it to my Mt. TBR (Mount To Be Read). I am glad that I did as I loved it. It's only 136 pages long and told from the view point of James Qwilleran (the human main character) in a journal style. The book relates how Qwill came to have his two feline roommates because as any cat lover knows you do not own cats, the best you can hope for is a peaceful partnership (source of that quote later).

The book not only contains...more
Kirsti
I love the Cat Who books, but this is just a refresher with little new information. I love the writing style as always, and the poems were cute (they've been in the books already though) This book is also rounding out my collection nicely, maybe one day I will find the Cat Who cookbook as well. Four stars because I can't bear to have a Cat Who book at any less.
Chazzi
This is a quick and fun read. Done in a journal format, it has tidbits about Koko and Yum Yum. How each cat came to live with Quilleran. Their quirks and habits. How they have helped solve some of the mysteries.

If you enjoy these two feline detectives and their adventures, then these glimpses into their histories is right up your alley.
Lee Gunter
This is not a barn burner (whatever that would actually mean), but it's a pleasant enough read. For those unaware, this is a collection of anecdotal stories about the two cats, Koko and Yum Yum, who feature in the authors "The Cat Who..." series of books. If you are a fan of those, you should enjoy this book very much.

I recommend this book for "The Cat Who" fans first and foremost. It's for you. It would also be a good read for someone who wants to dip their toe in that pool (a rather large pool...more
Dawnastebbins
Love it, love it, love it!! Lilian Jackson Braun is a cat person's cat person. She understands. Wonderful light reading; the more i read of this author, the more i want to read. Luckily there are scores of Cat Who books. I just love how she dedicates her books to her loved one: "The Husband Who...".
“The Private Life of the Cat Who” lets new readers catch up with Koko and Yum Yum
If you are a new reader to the long-running “Cat Who” mystery series, I can recommend this slim handbook to help you catch up with the cats. “The Private Life of the Cat Who” by Lilian Jackson Braun devotes short chapters to the accomplishments of the famous Siamese duo of Koko and Yum Yum.
You do know how James Qwilleran came to possess this extraordinarily gifted and whiskered feline, popularly known as Koko, don'...more
Meaghan
this was a realy stupid book. i love the cat who mysteries, but this was just like a recap of all of them with no plot at all. it made me sad.
Kaushalya
I like all the "Cat who"s that I've read. I first came across this book on my first day in a New York hostel. I was very much alone (no one on my floor had come back to the hostel) AND lonely (just left SL for two years) and I was looking around the common room for light reading when I came across this cat book that someone had left behind.

They are so cute that I read them whenever I feel in need of brainrest!
Nice supplement to the Cat Who books, especially since the main draw for me is the cats. But Qwill is fascinating with how much he digs his cats, and this gave insight as to how the cats came to live with him, and some good stories about them. Just shows the relationship a bit more, and shows how they are totally the boss of Qwill.
Heather
This book will be a fun read to anyone who read and enjoyed the other books in the series. It is written as though they are journal excerpts from the main character. He mentions quite a few of the old favorite characters. I loved the limericks as well. It was an all around fun read.
Trudy
Cute, but if you are a fan of Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who... series, you probably know all this, and if you are not, it won't make a lot of sense.

These tidbits are really much better when interspersed throughout a Moose County mystery. I definitely missed the mystery.
Gill
Jul 18, 2009 Gill rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat-lovers
Shelves: catwho, cats
I enjoyed reading a lovely hardback version of this book, but found it was composed of snippets from most of the books in the Cat Who series that I had already read, so it seems a bit of a cheat - like Stargate when they are out-of-budget and use clips from previous programmes.
Aug 06, 2010 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers, Faith Gaspare
These two Siamese cats have many so mini-adventures, or rather episodes of mischief, that I was left thinking "dang cat!" often throughout the book. If you're any kind of cat lover, this book (and series) is for you. This particular one is a really quick read.
Riana Elizabeth
I love my Siamese cat, so became interested in "The Cat Who..." series, centered on 2 of the breed. However, of the group, this short book didn't interest me too much. I'm giving it 3 stars because I'm attached to the characters, but try one of the other books.
Marcia
This is a short book of short stories about the cats in the Lilian Braun books. They are interesting to cat lovers even if the books have not been read. For those readers who have enjoyed Braun's books, they give a little explanation for the cats' behavior.
Mary
This was a cute book. As a fan of the series I have been working my way through this series. Most of this book appeared in the previous books but it was a nice collection of stories. If you hadn't read the earlier books in a while it was a great refresher.
J. Ewbank
This book is not one of the "Cat Who" series but involves short stories about the two cats. I normally do not like short story books, but this one is very good and a good read.

J. Robert Ewbank authro "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Melissa
a cute, quick read that made me love the charms of koko and yum yum even more.
Susan Adkins
Do you know how Qwill came to have Koko and Yum Yum? Read this book and you will find out. These stories let you know who, what, where, when, and why of these dective cats. their antics will warm the hearts of cat lovers everywhere.
Debbie
This is the first book I have read by this author. It was in a basket of books I have been trying to get to for quite a while. I love cats so I found the little the short little chapters to be a quick and enjoyable read.
Lynn Diane
Aug 13, 2012 Lynn Diane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends of cats
I loved this book. It's more of a philosophical look at why cats are so darned appealing to some of us, not a typical Braun mystery. I loved it and plan to buy one of my own (or keep this one until the library police find me)!
Jan
This was a quick, light read. As a fan of the "Cat who.." mysteries, I expected a few fun stories about the cats. Instead, these short stories were pulled from the original books, so I had read all of them before.
Saralyn
My only bone to pick was, having read a number of these books, I'd read most of these stories. But as my cats were my favorite parts of the books, I liked how this book just focused on the cats.
Julianne
This is a series of short stories, sort of, about those two crime-fighting Siamese, Koko and Yum Yum, as told by their keeper, Jim Qwilleran. Nice, but not as much fun as any of the novels.
Dawn
The first time I picked up The Cat Who series I was hooked and began reading them all I Love everything about these books and have reread them all at least three times I never get tired of them
Patricia
Feb 09, 2008 Patricia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to everyone who loves and/or has cats, and reads the "Cat Who ..." books.
I loved this book. I am a huge fan of the "Cat Who ..." books. This is not a mystery like the others. Just little anecdotes about Koko and Yum Yum. I laughed all the way through this book.
Julie
Again, Lillian Jackson Braun takes this book from the perspective of KoKo and Yum Yum, the feline partners of James Mackintosh Qwilleran. How creative, sweet, and funny.
Wendy
I read this because so many people I know love this series, I didn't enjoy it and won't be looking for anymore of them. Maybe I'm just not as much of a cat person as my friends...
Steven
I would have rated this higher except that it doesn't have any new material in it. It is basically a compilation of what is already covered in the Cat Who series.
Gheeta
a nice short read. a good synopsis of many highlights found in the Cat Who series. a quick way to relax, unwind and enjoy without committing to complete mystery.
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Whisker of Evil (Mrs. Murphy, #12)
  • Cat in a Midnight Choir (Midnight Louie, #14)
  • The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #1)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)