Start by marking “Naked Beneath My Clothes: Tales of a Revealing Nature” as Want to Read:
Naked Beneath My Clothes: Tales of a Revealing Nature

Naked Beneath My Clothes: Tales of a Revealing Nature

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Rita Rudner's comedy is carefully structured, impeccably timed and exquisitely funny. From one of the best comedians working today comes a wildly funny collection of stories about men, women, modern problems, and life before remote control.

Rita Rudner on pierced ears: "Men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.
Published May 1st 2001 by Authorhouse (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Naked Beneath My Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Beneath My Clothes

Myriah
May 09, 2009 Myriah rated it liked it
I found this book at the library. I love finding stuff.

I read this book in about two days and I laughed/was amused for about 60% of that time. The author likes to generalize men and women sometimes, and that sort of thing always gets under my skin, so I just skimmed those parts and felt very good about this book. I enjoyed reading it.

It took me until the middle of the book to realize it was a collection of short essays about the author's life. This book was published (I think) in 1992, and tha
Lori
Sep 13, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: humourous
I have loved Rita Rudner since her early stand up days (It's not that I didn't want to go to prom...it's that no one would tell me where it was). This book makes me laugh out loud.
Jim
Jul 04, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had seen her on HBO's 1st "Women of the Night" comedy special in 1985, which also showcased Ellen Degeneres, Paula Poundstone, and Judy Tenuta. She is very funny, and her book is hilarious.
Ike
Dec 17, 2015 Ike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this in the trunk of my car today. I don't know how it got there nor do I know why it was put there. I do know that that this was awful and whoever put it there should feel ashamed.
Holly
Apr 24, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
This is a pretty funny lady. I love her understated delivery and absolutely hilarious view on things. If you've never seen her stand-up, I recommend you watch her. She's great.
Margie
Feb 22, 2014 Margie rated it liked it
Amusing but not as hilarious as I used to think she was. The book was made up of several humorous essays. Some were funnier than others.
Katrina
Jul 07, 2011 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book ages ago, and every time I pick it up, I'm reminded how much I enjoy it. Some of my all-time favorite quotes come directly from it's pages. It's the perfect book to distract you when you're trudging away on the elliptical machine. (You won't find me smiling or laughing while working out otherwise.) The entertaining and somewhat peculiar way she views the world and herself is witty and quick and somehow truly hits home with many of us. I got to speak with her when she released "Ti ...more
Doris Jean
Oct 07, 2014 Doris Jean rated it really liked it
A clever writer. Entertaining, fun. I enjoyed this book.
Lynnett
Aug 19, 2014 Lynnett rated it really liked it
Literally laughed till my sides hurt. I love her dry humor and casual delivery. This book reads just like her stand up comedy show would play out.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 18, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing
Love her humor. Quick read.
Maura
Oct 25, 2014 Maura rated it really liked it
She really is a pretty funny lady and most of her comedy is entirely about timing. I've seen her live and she always pauses just so and then delivers the line. I'm pretty sure I picked this up in a dollar store and was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was. She has a great sense of humor and I enjoyed reading the book (not always true for me with comedians).
Therese
Nov 02, 2011 Therese rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, humor
This book was funny to my 14 year old self, sure. But I will mostly always remember it as the book Mrs. Gouge wouldn't allow me to read in "Reading Class" because it wasn't Christ-centered, and had "naked" in the title. Also she had a problem with "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" which, though it was about a church...was also about Catholics (Satan).
Sean Polite
Jul 27, 2011 Sean Polite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a speck of interest in the unique style of her stand up comedy, I highly recommend this book and her others. She's mastered several forms of book writing, and this collection of short stories is chock full of hilarity and heart. The photo of her with the kangaroo is worth at least a random bookstore browse.
Angie
Oct 27, 2009 Angie rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of witty short stories. I read it once in high-school. I remember reading it during my sister's piano lesson (while I was waiting for mine to start) and I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I found it again a few months ago and wasn't disappointed. It made me laugh again :)
Jan
Oct 10, 2010 Jan rated it it was amazing
I love Rita Radner, as an entertainer. What a lovely lady!! The book I have is actually signed by her and I have chatted with her in real life! We took in one of her shows in Vegas a few years ago. As you read this book, you can hear Rita speaking and you will laugh all over again!
Soon-gill
May 31, 2009 Soon-gill rated it really liked it
I love a good laugh and so any time I can get one it's good. This book promises to be fun and quick. I happened to see her for the first time a few months ago and she is very funny. So now I have to read her book.
Jo
Nov 16, 2008 Jo rated it it was amazing
I laughed so hard I had to read it at home. I like to take my books to work and read on break but people look at you strange when you start giggling to yourself.
Les
Feb 07, 2010 Les rated it really liked it
Funny, funny woman. I love Ms. Rudner's stand-up, and her essays are nearly as funny.
Jessica
Aug 17, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: shortstories, comedy
Collection of funny stories and anticdotes from Rita Rudner. Very funny.
Kevin Connery
Aug 24, 2009 Kevin Connery rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Stand-up routine ssurvived transfer to text quite well.
Shandra
Aug 15, 2008 Shandra rated it it was amazing
Very funny - I love her!
Michael Melara
Michael Melara marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Gaye
Gaye added it
Jan 18, 2016
Katina stewart
Katina stewart marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Dorie Koch
Dorie Koch rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Mackenzie Stewart
Mackenzie Stewart marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Ramona Walker
Ramona Walker rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
  • Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, and Identity
  • The Granta Book of the American Short Story
  • The Knight of the Burning Pestle
  • Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
  • White Noise: Text and Criticism
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Theodore Roosevelt's Letters to His Children
  • Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Our Hope for the Future
  • Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties
  • Shades of Blue: Writers on Depression, Suicide, and Feeling Blue
  • O Ye Jigs and Juleps!
  • The Best of the Rejection Collection: 293 Cartoons That Were Too Dumb, Too Dark, or Too Naughty for The New Yorker
  • Twenty Days with Julian and Little Bunny by Papa
  • Dumbheart: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Human Nature and Conduct
  • Only Child: Writers on the Singular Joys and Solitary Sorrows of Growing Up Solo
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium
  • Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best Practices for Enhancing Student Achievement
Rita Rudner is an American comedienne, writer and actress.

Rudner and her producer husband, Martin Bergman, wrote the screenplay of the film Peter's Friends, in which she also acted. She is the author of the best-selling I Still Have It; I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It, Naked Beneath My Clothes, and the novels Tickled Pink and Turning The Tables. She has written several screenplays with her hu
More about Rita Rudner...