Start by marking “Beginnings: Liberation” as Want to Read:
Beginnings: Liberation

Beginnings: Liberation (Love is Always Write)

3.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  126 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Dear Author,
My mother looked at my eyes in the mirror – one last time in a lifetime of never meeting my gaze, never letting me look directly at her face. The snakes of her hair hung limply, unmoving. She had removed her veil for this last visit, but lay turned away.

“You’re not a Gorgon, my boy. Not even half. But when I die – beware. Power doesn’t disappear, it changes and
Published June 13th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginnings

amomentsilence
Aug 12, 2015 amomentsilence rated it liked it
2.5/3 Stars. I won't say it was bad, because it wasn't... I just didn't enjoy it quite as much as I should have. I mean... it's freaking mythology for goodness sake! GREEK mythology! I should have loved this regardless but I didn't so.... yeah. 3 Stars because it was mythos and that's it.
Nic
Feb 21, 2013 Nic rated it liked it
Part of Love is Always Write - Volume 1
Nor really a story I could get into but I imagine it would be appreciated by fans of mythology. It all seemed superficial, touching on too much for a short story. The journey to rid the curse took up most of the story with little romance although there is a ménage sex scene at the end.
Penumbra
This story is based on a prompt of a stone statue of two men. The author turned the prompt into a story of Eleftherios, the son of Medusa, who after his mother dies is cursed with her affliction of turning people to stone. The two people he turns to stone are his lovers, Nikandros and Vasilios. In order to find a way to reverse the curse, Eleftherios must first visit Delphi. After that he goes on an adventure with the information to 'the source.'

I liked this story because I like mythology. The n
Pete W
Jun 13, 2012 Pete W rated it really liked it
The non-sex part of this, to me, read like a Mythology textbook. This is not a criticism, just how I felt.

Ms. Ebulu did a good job of expounding on Medusa myth. I wish that Hephaestus would have a small role in this since the main character was a blacksmith. But all in all, it was an enjoyable read. The heaviness and the slight melancholy portrayed in the story was done well. The speech sound older style that suit the period as well.
Lorraine
Oct 18, 2015 Lorraine rated it liked it
I have not got a background in Greek myths and legends but I do know some of the story of Medusa. This story is based on the Medusa Myth and tells a tale of one of her sons who finds himself cursed with his Mother's curse when his lovers are turned to stone. Most of the book is taken up with his quest to restore them to life and I must admit I would have liked a little more information about how the three had gotten together before we get transported 2 years later to where they get turned to sto ...more
Wendy Ann
It’s always fun and interesting to see how someone’s imagination takes root based on inspiration from a photo. I enjoyed the Greek mythology incorporated into this story – very fitting for the picture. Menage (m/m/m) also happens to be a favorite of mine, so that was a pleasant addition to the story. Very nice overall!
Julesmarie
Jul 12, 2012 Julesmarie rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, free, menage, dritc-liaw
I'm a fan of Greek mythology, so this was a fun one for me. Like someone said in the comments, this was like Greek god fan fic, but it was such a hoot to read. I thought Ms. Ebulu did a fantastic job crafting a story that fit the photo and the prompt.
Victoria
Apr 18, 2015 Victoria rated it really liked it
3.5 - Nice story. I liked the interpretation of the photo. Thank you Alessandra Ebulu, for donating your story, time and talent.
Helen Peter
Jul 31, 2012 Helen Peter rated it it was amazing
Wow! Really enjoy this version of the story. Would really like more of the threesome.
Ayanna
Nov 23, 2013 Ayanna rated it it was ok
It's not bad, but at the same time, quite odd/awkward.

The ostensible features are there, but the cultural aspects aren't quite right. It's like everyone is LARP'ing this story out, except all of the western hints make it seem more like cultural appropriation than anything.

I'm not exactly an expert in ancient Greek culture, but people being disgusted by public male kissing? I thought Greece was all about the male-love and women were pretty much for the convenience of breeding. Not to as far an ex
Alessandra Ebulu
Sep 25, 2012 Alessandra Ebulu rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Okay, so of course my review of this book will be completely biased. I wrote it after all. But I had fun writing this story. I love Greek mythology. From the crazy gods and goddesses who have their human flaws, arrogance and pride, to the mortals who had to fight for their own survival and turn out stronger because their gods were to busy immersed in their own lives to care. Eleftherios had to fight for a change for himself and his lovers, and he started the chain of events that would eventually ...more
Braydan
Oct 17, 2015 Braydan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple Beautiful

I of course grew up learning about Medusa in school, but to read this and have a whole new twist put on her story? It's perfect! And Hell, it's actually her gay son's story! Even better!! I did very much enjoy the romance, adventure, everything.
Shelley Chastagner
May 27, 2015 Shelley Chastagner rated it really liked it
I love Greek and Roman mythology so this book was appealing to me from the start. The characters are likable but the writing jumps a bit. Not too distracting but noticeable. The different take on Medusa was interesting. 3 1/2 stars.
Adult read
CB
May 23, 2014 CB rated it it was amazing
A really interesting short story and the author takes great liberties with the use of fiction and retelling of the stories of the Gods and Medusa. I found it very entertaining, and sexy!

I will be looking for more from this author!
Anjali
Jul 21, 2015 Anjali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only for lovers of mythology

Interesting read if you love mythology, intense menagè at the end. Is well written and creates an engrossing read overall
Katy Beth Mckee
This was an interesting story with some great dramatic twists. Sometimes doing the right thing with no thoughts of reward end up getting you rewards.
Saskia
Apr 15, 2014 Saskia rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
The part I surely won't forget so soon about this short story is the mental image of Eleftherios' lovers turned to stone in a rather compromising position!
Diane
Set in the time of greek Gods, the son of Medusa, travels to Athens to free his lovers from a curse placed on his family by the Goddess Athena.
H.V. Corbin
An interesting look into the life of one of the children of Medusa. It reads like a classic myth.
Lila Hunter
Jun 18, 2014 Lila Hunter rated it liked it
An interesting take to Medusa's story.
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
I'm not really a Greek Mythology fanatic -I seem to be one of the few on goodreads :(- but I do appreciate and like Greek Mythology, I just don't actively seek out and read them, or read books based on them. So, though I am familiar with Medusa, this was kinda an odd book for me. To be honest, I wasn't really feeling the whole mythology thing too much, and even after Athena explained herself, I didn't really like her.

The menage was totally hot though, haha.
Kendra T
Interesting concept of using the Medusa curse and how it affected the next generation. A little bland at times for me and I would have liked a little more back story (I didn't feel really connected to the lovers of the MC) but overall it was a good read.
Adara
Dec 31, 2012 Adara rated it really liked it
I enjoy Greek/Roman mythology, so this one was right up my alley. It felt complete and was a quick read with an interesting message/concept built into it. Enjoyable.
Girlgeorge
This was just ok for me. Not exactly my cup of tea but I did enjoy the Greek gods aspect and the twist on the Medusa tale.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read
*free on ARE
Aya
Aya added it
Mar 01, 2016
GlamLawyer
GlamLawyer rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2016
  • The War at the End of the World
  • A Competitive Edge
  • Stuck on You
  • Jackman
For as long as she can remember, Alessandra Ebulu has always had her nose buried in a book. The characters appeal to her, and it is not uncommon to find her talking to the various characters in her head—, both the ones she has read about and the ones she has created. When not reading or writing, Alessandra can be found watching movies, sitting in front of her laptop (watching animes, reading manga ...more
More about Alessandra Ebulu...

Love is Always Write (1 - 10 of 147 books)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Magick's Cucumber
  • For Those Who Wait
  • Disciplinary Action
  • Soulmates
  • With This Ring
  • Predators
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Time Enough