Start by marking “Good Grief: A Faith-Based Guide to Understanding and Healing” as Want to Read:
Good Grief: A Faith-Based Guide to Understanding and Healing

Good Grief: A Faith-Based Guide to Understanding and Healing

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Many people experience grief as the result of loss. This book describes what happens to us whenever we lose someone or something important. We all need a better understanding of the small griefs in life as well as those larger grief experiences that can overwhelm us. Here is a volume to be kept close at hand. It can be used over the years as you encounter a wide variety of ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Augsburg Fortress Publishers (first published November 30th 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Good Grief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Grief

Brenna Bonner
Jan 05, 2011 Brenna Bonner rated it it was amazing
Perfect. Short, concise and heartfelt. An excellent little book to guide one on the way.
Andy Hickman
Jun 19, 2015 Andy Hickman rated it liked it
Good Grief is a Good Read.

“'Jesus wept'. These words describe a man who, when grief came, was able to weep, for He wanted and needed to express the feelings within Him.”

“The Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, see grief as normal and potentially creative. I would suggest that …. we put a comma after the first word so that it now reads, 'Grieve, not as those who have no hope' and then I would add, 'But for goodness' sake, grieve.”
Marika
Aug 14, 2015 Marika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother received this book after my father's funeral. It is a very quick read (only 63 pages in the 50th Anniversary Edition). I found it to be a helpful, beginner book for dealing with loss.
Pierced Librarian
Sep 01, 2013 Pierced Librarian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Absolutely no one.
Recommended to Pierced Librarian by: Me

I found this book on paperback swap and NOWHERE in the description did it mention it was a Christian book.

I read it anyway and it was useless. Basically this author breaks grief up into 8 stages. Tells a boring little ditty about someone dealing with that stage, and then quotes a Bible verse. Even for a Christian book it is not useful. The chapter on anger was especially tiring. Only two pages and the helpful advice of,
"...it is to be wrestled with, and it can, by the grace of God, be overcome
Will Waller

Good Grief is a tiny document that packs a mighty punch. Meant more for the parishioner than the pastoral counselor, it is a clear and approachable connection to the parishioner who continues to be beset by grief long after the well-wishers have gone home. It seeks to normalize grief, placing many of the stages of grief on the table for examination. Ultimately, this is a book that is meant to allow the tears to fall and not be hastily dried up but left to exist in their own right. Most beneficia
Imani
Aug 01, 2014 Imani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book i buy and give to folks who have lost a loved one. It's a quick read and a good reminder when you are grieving.
David Orphal
This little book helped a lot as I struggled with several deaths in my family this year.
John Sagherian
A short, very practical booklet, helpful in dealing with grief!
Christy
Jul 22, 2011 Christy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I should have noticed that this book had only 64 pages the size of a note card before I checked it out from the library. Anything that small tells me it doesn't have anything in there that I don't already know. I quickly thumbed through it, confirmed it had the same type of stuff about stages of grief, and that was it. There wasn't any advice or anything really, beyond description. I'd only recommend this to someone who hasn't spent 10 minutes on the Internet reviewing the same subject ...more
Don Kaiser
Small book, easy to read. Very concise and helpful. I particularly liked the depression analogy on page 30, comparing a journey through depression to an airplane climbing through the layers of clouds. The sun IS up there. We sometimes can't see it through the clouds, and the climb THROUGH all those clouds is often turbulent but always rewarded.
Denise
Sep 28, 2008 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone dealing with a death or other loss (divorce, loss of job etc)
Recommended to Denise by: JoAnn
My friend, JoAnn, gave me this book to read after my Mom died. It was very helpful in coping with the wide range of feelings I had and helped me to understand why I was acting the way I was and how to deal with the loss. I also understand that everything I was going through was normal. I'm glad I read it. Thanks, JoAnn!
Lindsey Unger
Oct 14, 2013 Lindsey Unger rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I've read on Grief and healing. I actually read the cliff notes version, but couldn't find that here on Goodreads. It actually helped me cope with the healing process of a divorce versus and death, and I really highly recommend it to anyone suffering through a loss of a loved one, on any level.
Robert D. Cornwall
Excellent Resource for walking through the process of grief.
Kevin
Jun 20, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit on the short side, but overall it had a lot of great insights into the grief process and how to help others through it. You can read this in an hour, if that even, so I'd recommend it if you don't have a lot of time to learn about grief before you need to actively help someone in a traumatic situation.
Kimberly McCormick
Nov 26, 2013 Kimberly McCormick rated it it was amazing
This book helped me tremendously in dealing with the grief one feels after losing a parent. It's a quick read and walks you through each stage of the grieving process. It's been a year since our father passed on to his heavenly home and I still pull out this book to reread it when I'm missing Dad.
kay
Aug 15, 2013 kay rated it it was amazing
A small book which helped me understand what I am experiencing after the recent loss of my husband is normal and in time my life can be fun again. I agree with his idea that a mature religious faith can make it easier. I hope that in time I can help others who are grieving.
Stephen
For such a short book Westberg packs in a lot of great insights. Is everything in the book applicable to every single person's experience with grief? No, probably not. But there is definitely some wonderful little gems of truth and insight in "Good Grief."
Heather
This book was given to me by my neighbor after my mother passed away. I was hesitant to read it, as I wasn't looking for a "self-help" book of any kind. However, I was pleased with the way this read and found it to be somewhat therapeutic.
Margaret Miller
Aug 02, 2012 Margaret Miller rated it it was amazing
Read this after my mom passed away in 2011. What so enlightening. Helped me get through all the emotions I was having about her death and how people reacted and interacted around me. It also helped me with understanding my attitude around people.
Mary Chambers
Nov 11, 2012 Mary Chambers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this little book after my husband passed away. It was recommended to me 20 years ago and I never forgot that my friend had said it is the best book about the grief prosess. It was totally excellent and I will read it again.
Moss
Sep 18, 2011 Moss rated it it was amazing
This a short, simple explanation of what happens to us when we lose a loved one. It's helped me understand the grieving process and given me great comfort. It's used as the basis of some grieving support groups.
M
Feb 01, 2008 M is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine gave me this after my father passed away unexpectedly and I'm working my way through it in bits and pieces. Maybe it will help me return to my former animated self.
Kiersten
Mar 30, 2008 Kiersten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really nice intro into the stages of grief... and though it's about the loss of a loved one it works for all of us because we all have loss everyday to varying degrees.
Kate
Aug 25, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
Folksy restating of the obvious when it comes to grief. I would have given it fewer stars, but sometimes when you're grieving, you need a folksy restating of the obvious.
Paula
Jan 11, 2009 Paula rated it it was amazing
A book about losing someone you love should not make you laugh, but this one did. It was both moving and funny, which I find to be the mark of an excellent book.
Velour
Sep 07, 2010 Velour rated it really liked it
Totally helpful tool. A friend recommended it to me after losing someone close to me. It's good to grieve and it's even better to grow from it.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Let's just hope you don't have a need to read it due to first hand experience. Small booklet sent to me from the church nurse.
Jeremy
Apr 04, 2012 Jeremy rated it liked it
Shelves: life
Nothing profound, but a solid, thorough description of the grief process written by a clinician from a biblical worldview.
Karen Smith
Apr 27, 2011 Karen Smith rated it it was ok
Dated and I have heard it all before but it was a very quick read and had a few thought provoking ideas.
Othello
Aug 21, 2009 Othello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting and useful book about loss. Can be applied to any loss. Therapeutic indeed.
  • Splashes Of Joy In The Cesspools Of Life
  • The Meaning of Persons
  • Lord, Change Me!
  • Creating a Healthier Church: Family Systems Theory, Leadership and Congregational Life (Creative Pastoral Care & Counseling)
  • How Your Church Family Works: Understanding Congregations as Emotional Systems
  • Creating Moments of Joy for the Person with Alzheimer's or Dementia: A Journal for Caregivers
  • Speaking of Sin
  • Big Questions, Worthy Dreams: Mentoring Young Adults in Their Search for Meaning, Purpose, and Faith
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Creation and Fall Temptation: Two Biblical Studies
  • Preaching
  • Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations
  • Understanding People: Why We Long for Relationship
  • Caring Enough to Confront
  • Bioethics: A Primer for Christians
  • Swamplands of the Soul: New Life in Dismal Places (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 73)
  • A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship
  • The Children of Light and the Children of Darkness: A Vindication of Democracy and a Critique of its Traditional Defense (Scribner library)