Start by marking “Vivid” as Want to Read:
Vivid

Vivid (The Grayson Family #1)

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  38 reviews
It's 1786 and Dr.Viveca Lancaster is frustrated by the limits placed upon female physicians of color. When she is offered the chance to set up a practice in the small all Black community of Grayson Grove, Michigan she leaves her California home and heads east. The very determined Viveca is one of the few nineteenth century Black women to graduate from the prestigious Woman ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by iUniverse (first published January 15th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Vivid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vivid

Andrew
Great historical fiction!

Set in the period following the American Civil War and Reconstruction Era, Viveca Lancaster is an educated Black woman trained as a physician and raised in the state of California. Frustrated by the lack of opportunities for her to practice medicine where she lives, she takes up the post of a Doctor in a small Black community in Michigan.
At first and with few supporters she finds herself either ignored by most who feel that 'Doctoring' is not a job for a woman or seen j
Shawnette
A Very Vivid Historical/Romance Novel

This is the second novel I read by Beverly Jenkins, 'Night Song' being the first. I just have to say I thoroughly enjoy her writing style. I could not put either book down! You can't help but fall in love with the main characters and it feels like your watching a movie with the descriptive storytelling. She made the characters and the story jump off the page for me. And you not only get a great history lesson, you get some very HOT and steamy romance...WHEW..
Ruby
This is a MUST read! I found pleasingly nice..sexy too..
My educational love story...my keeper..sigh.. Ms. Jenkins makes learning about history fun. I adore how see places historic findings so effortless entwine within in her Romance..it's like magic. It keeps me happy & coming back for more. ((You rock)) Ms. Jenkins UR the best!
Darla
This was another great by Beverly Jenkins! I enjoyed this story of Dr. Viveca Lancaster and Nate Grayson. Two characters that bumped heads from the first they met, but who grew to share a great connection later. She was headstrong, independent, and danced to her own beat, which was out of character for females during this time period. He was headstrong, caring, and a damned good man. What a great combination they made together, especially once they stopped aggravating one another. I loved Viveca ...more
Tia
I loved the Community aspect of this book. blacks coming together and being protective over one another, definitely not like today. The relationship between Nate and Dr Viveca was enchanting and smoldering hot! I liked the family dynamics of the Graysons and Abigails defiance of Mr. Crowley. She taunted that man for years. The rich history lessons told throughout the book were fantastic, native people, scholars, politicians, and the game,lacrosse. All very wonderful. I would recommend this book ...more
L. Wright
I have to say that I absolutely adore Beverly Jenkins' novels. Vivid is one of my favorite. Beverly Jenkins has a way of writing that immediately places me right in the middle of the story. I feel like I know these characters. I have enjoyed all of the novels I have read by her especially Vivid, Indigo, and Through the Storm. I would recommend her books to anyone.
Wendy
Great intro to author, well written development of characters and storyline based on historical events
Renee
I just love historical romances....only Beverly Jenkins..she adds a lot of facts
Desiree
Having read Jewel (Eli & Jewel) early last year, I had been looking forward to reading Nate & Vivid's story. Imagine my excitement when it became available in ebook format and I'm happy to say it did not disappoint. I love the way Jenkins writes her characters and the communities they live in because you find yourself caring about them so much. Not only were the interactions between Vivid & Nate *ahem* sizzling but their banter was funny and enjoyable to read.

The Grayson Grove commu
Kathleen Yohanna
As historical romances go, this is one of the best I have read so far. The story takes place post Civil War and the story illustrates that women, especially black women, had many obstacles to contend with.
I love the writing style and the bits of history that are thrown in. I received this book for free from the Goodreads
first read program in a CD format. Thank you Goodreads, Beverly Jenkins and her publisher for the chance to give an honest review. I really enjoyed "Vivid".
Heather
I was really disappointed by Vivid. I've been trying to read more romance and more African American writers, and when I saw Vivid recommended on a blog, it sounded really fascinating. A black woman doctor in the 1870s? Sign me up.

Unfortunately, though it seems like I'm oddly the only one, I thought the writing was *terrible*. It's choppy and badly paced. There's a ton of infodumping and exposition about Black history, things that might be interesting on their own but don't weave very organicall
Cynthia
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical romance that told the story of a African American female physician in the 1900s. Vivica responds to an ad for a physician in a small Michigan Black community. She travels across country to on her own only to realize that the local community leader did not realize she was a woman. Not only was he suspicious of female physicians but he also did not believe she would stay through the harsh Michigan winter. In the telling of this story about her struggle towards ...more
Alyssa Cole
Really, really enjoyed the banter between the hero and the heroine even though the set-up was something that usually drives me mad. I feel like the last third of the book flagged, but is carried through by the momentum of the first portion. Truly enjoyed it!
It's Me - Yvette
My first book from this author. Very enjoyable.
Bebe20018
Absolutely loved it.
Scott Benoit
Must say next to the BOB series, this is so far my favorite book. great story, want to see it continue
Monique Thomas
I absolutely adored this book! The story telling was impeccable as it ways is with Ms.Jenkins novel.
Tony
Good read. I enjoyed how Ms. Jenkins intertwined history specifically little known black history as well as medical history into the story. The characters were so much fun to read that I definitly be interested in being apart of this lovely little town. Growing up watching Andy Griffith, apart of me always wished for that experience.
Tay
It's funny. I read the reviews for this book and was like yeah.....I'm going to read this. Start to read than realized I have read it before long ago. It didn't matter because I couldn't remember the story. It was wonderful! I went through some emotions.....lol, sad, smiling, and awww moments. This is a good read....must read. :0)
Nisi
This is a must read. This was the first book that I read by this author and this is in my top 10 favorites. I've read this book multiple times over the years and it never gets old. I love that Vivid is a strong, intelligent woman. She's awesome. All of the characters leave a lasting impression.
LaCharmine Jefferson
By far, this was my favorite historical romance and my introduction to the wonderfully, talented Beverly Jenkins. I read this book 15 yrs ago and still find myself reflecting on how I felt when I read it. I don't normally re-read books but this is one that I would.
Bridget
Dr. Viveca Lancaster and Nate Grayson steam of the page with a beautifully told romantic story of how love heals and completes the heart. Once again Beverly Jenkins told a wonderful story full of factual history and fictional love.
Davina Bell
Classic, classic Beverly Jenkins!!!!!! Love the history mixed into the black love story!!! :D I also love her strong female characters!!!!!!! I will recommend it to all who love historical romances!!!!! :D
Angela Day
A really good story.

I was really moved by the romantic storyline and enlightened by the supporting historical facts in this book. Good read!
Vi Louise
I love the historical information in this novel. It's like reading an historical lesson. I learned thint I never knew before.
Daphne James
Very good read! This is the first book I have read by this author. I am looking forward to reading more of her work.
Shannon Dyer
Round up to 3.5 stars. A bit disappointed in some aspects of this. Review to come at AudioGals.
Kianga
I really Loved this book. The history and family aspect made it a great read.
Angela Anthony
This was an amazing story. I enjoyed it from start to finish.
  • Whispered Promises
  • Forever Yours
  • A Valentine Kiss: Cupids Bow\Made In Heaven\Matchmaker
199260
Beverly Jenkins is an African-American historical romance writer. She and her family live in southeastern Michigan. Born in Detroit, she graduated from Cass Technical High School and attended Michigan State University where she majored in Journalism and English Literature.
Ms. Jenkins has written sixteen books to date and has received numerous awards for her works, including: the Detroit Free Pres
More about Beverly Jenkins...
Bring on the Blessings Indigo Through the Storm Sexy/Dangerous Topaz