Start by marking “Break the Night” as Want to Read:
Break the Night

Break the Night

A silent scream, a bloodstained knife...

A century past, the faceless killer had strolled out of the London fog and into history, the most infamous murderer who ever lived. And only reporter J. R. Damien knew he had never died, could never die. It was impossible, and yet it was true--Saucy Jack was back, plying his trade in the back alleys of Venice, California.. . .

And Sau
Paperback, Silhouette Shadows #9, 256 pages
Published May 1st 1993 by Silhouette

To ask other readers questions about Break the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Break the Night

Crista
Oct 28, 2010 Crista rated it really liked it
I read this one just in time for Halloween!

This is Anne Stuart, so anything with her name on it is almost guaranteed to be brilliant. Break the Night, while not my favorite Anne Stuart novel, certainly was brilliant!

This is a story about a serial killer. He is killing prostitutes in the same manner that Jack the Ripper did so many years ago. Our heroine is brought into the madness because she is an artist who specializes in making masks. Each of the prostitutes who are found murdered are weari
Ana T.
Feb 07, 2008 Ana T. rated it really liked it
Anne Stuart is one of my favourite authors and last week I read 2 of her series books.

BREAK THE NIGHT I started it because Rosario mentioned it on her blog and coincidentally I had just received it from a friend.

I checked Anne Stuart's site and just couldn't resist picking it up:

Break the Night (1993) was Anne’s take on Jack the Ripper for the beginning of the short-lived Silhouette Shadows line.

I pulled back on Break the Night, for the simple reason that I knew I couldn’t carry off my original
Linda
Mazel
Mortelle randonnée !

Cette île du golfe du Mexique n'est rien de moins qu'hostile.

A peine y a-t-elle mis les pieds qu'Annie prend conscience de sa folie. James McKinley la terrorise. Et à le voir soudain si froid, si implacable, le regard dévastateur, elle lui trouve l'air d'un ange de l'enfer.

Qui a assassiné son père, Win Sutherland ? C'est la question qu'elle veut poser à James. Car tous deux travaillaient pour la CIA.

Annie en a l'intuition. Comme elle sait que McKinley détient la clé de l'é
Robin
More than 100 years after Jack the Ripper's murders in Whitechapel, Jack was in Venice, California, plying his trade in the back alleys. J.R. Damien, an expert on the infamous murders, dreams of the new murders as they happen. He also warns artist Lizzie Stride that she may be the next victim. Lizzie's masks have been left at the scene of each murder. She also shares a name with one of the original Ripper victims.

I usually like most fiction that deals with Jack the Ripper, but this book wasn't t
Tanisha
Apr 12, 2016 Tanisha rated it really liked it
Well written and plotted. It could be seen that Anne has researched a lot on 'Jack the ripper' to write this book. Villain was choosen
But there are few things about which I am not so sure like if the villain was shape shifter or just very good in taking different disguises. Also why at the end, he thought the heroine was Mary.
This may be because, the past life of both the leads were explored well but not the villain. This made the book a bit unclear on few points and left us to make assumptions
Betty
Jun 26, 2008 Betty rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of dark romance mysteries
Shelves: mystery, romance
I love Anne Stuart and have been fascinated with the Jack the Ripper case, since I was ten years old. So, I was looking forward to see what she would do with it all.

While the book had great atmosphere and an intriguing concept, it couldn't keep the tension and excitement up through the whole story. It's still an entertaining read (nice for a rainy day).

Not one of Stuart's best, but it has it's enjoyable moments.
Jenn Doyle
Sep 05, 2011 Jenn Doyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good paranormal romance/thriller
Would rate this about a 4.3. Had a great storyline entwining the Jack the Ripper mystery with reincarnated lives. Really liked both the heroine & her guy in this one. It reminded me a bit of the movie Dead Again because of the past lives not having finished & still impacting the current lives. It's an older book, but definitely worth the read if you can find it :)
Angela Wade
3.5 First half was golden; second half was a dud. I give Stuart props, though, for tackling a complicated plot!
Renee
Any book about Jack The Ripper tends to make me happy and this one had some really cool ideas about masks, reincarnation and jack people some sort of supernatural creature.
Sahara
Sahara rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Darlene Lane
Darlene Lane rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Sue Burke
Sue Burke rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2011
Victoria Chancellor
Victoria Chancellor rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2009
KU2
KU2 rated it it was ok
May 23, 2014
Pwnn
Pwnn rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2011
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Preeti
Preeti rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Laura rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2015
Fringilla Passerina
Fringilla Passerina rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2010
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2007
Jan Blooth
Jan Blooth rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2011
D.C. Gannon
D.C. Gannon rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2008
Crystie
Crystie rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2008
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Fatima
Fatima rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Prince of Dreams (Val Cache, #2)
  • Deja Vu
  • Night Moves : Dream Man/After the Night
  • Wicked Games (www.gIRL-gEAR #5)
  • Iguana Bay
  • Red Wolf (Wolf Moons, #1)
  • Closer... (In Too Deep #1)
  • Shaking Off the Dust
  • Lightning That Lingers
  • Kiss of the Shadow Man (Shattered Sisters, #3)
  • Dark Magic
  • A Christmas Present
  • Heart Legacy (Celta's Heartmates, #14)
  • The Haunting
  • Ruby Milk (Penny Wade #1)
  • Unlocking her Innocence
  • Secret Seduction
  • Nightcap (Harlequin Blaze, #394) (Those Sexy O'Sullivans, #3)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart...