Start by marking “Leave It to Psmith” as Want to Read:
Leave It to Psmith

Leave It to Psmith (Psmith #4)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  6,103 Ratings  ·  463 Reviews
Ronald Psmith (“the ‘p’ is silent, as in pshrimp”) is always willing to help a damsel in distress. So when he sees Eve Halliday without an umbrella during a downpour, he nobly offers her an umbrella, even though it’s one he picks out of the Drone Club’s umbrella rack. Psmith is so besotted with Eve that, when Lord Emsworth, her new boss, mistakes him for Ralston McTodd, a ...more
Published July 2nd 2012 by W.W. Norton & Company (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Leave It to Psmith, please sign up.

Sanda I think you can. I did and I don't think I missed anything important. The book is wonderful, one of wodehouse's funniest :)

Melissa
Feb 09, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In trying to explain to my husband exactly why I find Wodehouse so laugh-out-loud funny, I used this passage: "One uses the verb 'descend' advisedly, for what is required is some word suggesting instantaneous activity. About Baxter's progress from the second floor to the first there was nothing halting or hesitating. He, so to speak, did it now." This is a brilliant example of Wodehouse's ability to put it just so, - how can you explain this any better? "Planting his food firmly on a golf-ball w ...more
Jason Koivu
May 19, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why oh why did I wait to read one of Wodehouse's Psmiths?

Psmith is a character that resides somewhere between Wooster and Jeeves in temperament and intellect. He's overly confident, but he's got a bit of the old grey matter to back it up. Sometimes he's a little too sure of himself and takes one step too far, too fast. However, Psmith is clever enough to extract himself from the soup before he sinks in too deep.

The setting is good old Blandings Castle. So, while Psmith was an unfamiliar charac
Algernon
Sep 29, 2014 Algernon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
[9/10]

It is the opinion of most thoughtful students of life that happiness in this world depends chiefly on the ability to take things as they come.

When his life starts to smell too strongly of Fish, Psmith feels the need for a change of scenery. I have become acquainted with Psmith (the 'P' is silent) during his college days at Wreckam where he dazzled his colleagues with his nonchalant atitude, his well-cut suits, his ability to fast-talk his way out of the troubles brought about by his love
Bruce
Aug 20, 2008 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful book, quintessential Wodehouse. The hero, Psmith ("the p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan"), is a triumph of characterization, urbane, resilient, clever, utterly unflappable, altogether unlike Bertie Wooster (perhaps somewhat closer to Jeeves, though not a valet), from the same pen. I believe that this is only one of a series of novels PFW wrote featuring Psmith, and I would love to read more.

I struggle to understand and describe what makes Wodehouse such a
Jim
Nov 22, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Reading P. G. Wodehouse can dispel the clouds, bring tulips into bloom in the dead of winter, make adorable putti with parchment scrolls fly around your head, and elicit a hardy laugh at all times. If you have never read Wodehouse, I am deeply sorry for you.

Leave It to Psmith is not the best of his novels, but it is as good a place to start exploring his inexhaustible array of country houses, eccentric gentry, American gunmen and their molls, deranged poetesses, rank impostors, hateful and effic
Kyriakos Sorokkou
Η πορεία μου

Διάβασα το μισό βιβλίο (σελ. 1-164) σε μια βδομάδα και το υπόλοιπο μισό (σελ. 164-328) σε δύο μόνο μέρες. Αυτό θα οφείλεται λογικά στο ότι άρχισε να γίνεται πιο ενδιαφέρον στο δεύτερο μισό και πιθανόν στο ότι πίεσα λίγο τον εαυτό μου να το τελειώσω.

Αυτή ήταν η πρώτη μου επαφή με τον P. G. Wodehouse, ένα από τους πιο γνωστούς και καλύτερους ευθυμογράφους του 20ου αιώνα. Αυτό το βιβλίο τ' αγόρασα τέλη Απριλίου όταν το βρήκα στο Book-Depository στην εξαιρετικά χαμηλή τιμή των €4,93 (δωρ
Don
Feb 17, 2008 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Word goes 'round the net . . . Don loves this book!

I highly recommend this one over all of the Jeeves and Wooster novels. Psmith must have been the inspiration for Bugs Bunny, not in the sense of wacky antics, but more in his ability to talk himself into or out of any situation. Psmith's misplaced self-confidence is the perfect vehicle for Woodhouse's dry British humor. The language alone is worth experiencing.
Jun 15, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Idyllic Blandings Castle is to play host to literary guests, including poets and poseurs, much to Lord Emsworth's dismay. His sister, Lady Constance Keeble, organises their arrival at Blandings, mostly for her own amusement. Lady Constance owns a valuable diamond necklace that she wishes to wear at the house party. Word of this necklace gets about! The entangled plot involves imposters, secretaries, poets, burglars, butlers, maids and a budding romance.

Wodehouse writes with beautiful description
Shalini
After a long gap of a decade or so, delving into the world of Wodehouse again. And boy, aren't I glad that I chose this book? I love PSmith, I love lord Emsworth, and seeing the two meet each other under hilarious circumstances was heavenly. Freddie too was his usual charming self. I thoroughly enjoyed this repeat read, perhaps for the third or fourth time, and I advocate this one as a pickmeup for anyone feeling a bit low.
Vimal Thiagarajan
Dec 21, 2015 Vimal Thiagarajan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Lord Emsworth, Hon Freddie and Psmith combine in one novel, the result can be nothing but a human correspondence course in idiosyncrasy.Greatly enjoyed this novel despite a significant plot-hole in the middle of the plot, which in any other novel would have kept me from completing it. As Wodehouse himself says, 'A humorist has his privileges'.
Dan Schwent
Feb 04, 2008 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, favorites
Leave it to Psmith is probably the best of the best as far as P.G. Wodehouse goes. If only he'd written more than four Psmith books.
Kavita
Feb 15, 2017 Kavita rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Leave it to Psmith is the first of the Psmith series and the second of the Blanding series. When Freddie Threepwood is at a loss for money, he doesn't do something simple like trying to borrow from his friends or family. Oh no! He concocts a plan to steal his aunt's necklace, and sets into flow a series of events over which he no longer has any control. Fate, Wodehouse's biggest ally, is in full fledged quirkiness and can no longer be trusted.

When Psmith arrives at Blandings Castle masquerading
Antonomasia
Nov 21, 2015 Antonomasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like quite a few second instalments of crime series - or perhaps any type of popular series I'm less acquainted with - Leave It To Psmith has distinct similarities, in plot, in certain scenes, in paragraphs describing recurring characters, to its predecessor among the Blandings books. Sheer momentum, pithy phrases of dry wit, and the curious loveability of characters who might actually be hard work if we had to deal with them IRL carry it along regardless. However, it does occasionally pale by c ...more
Kornela
Dec 26, 2008 Kornela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
No one does British humor better than P.G. Wodehouse. His books consistently make me laugh out loud. Best known for the Jeeves and Bertie Wooster series (which is also excellent), Wodehouse wrote over 90 books in his career as well as a few different series. One of these series were the Psmith books. In my opinion, Psmith (pronounced "Smith," with the "p" being silent but giving proper distinction)is his most eccentric, charming, and original character. Because Psmith is so original and clever a ...more
Rebecca
Dec 19, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Hilarious! This was my first encounter with PSmith and it was extremely satisfactory. From the word go so many things were happening till the very end. This was the best of the few Wodehouses Ive read recently.
Schuyler
Sep 26, 2015 Schuyler rated it really liked it
Heartily enjoyed my first Wodehouse. Review Tuesday.
Joy C.
Aw, I love this book so much! It's just perfect in every way. And I dare you not to love Psmith - he's the best chap ever ^_^.
Marty Reeder
Oct 14, 2009 Marty Reeder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wodehouse. He is a genius.

Please know that I do understand what the word "genius" implies, and in his field, this man was a genius. Yes, he is funny. That is now far beyond scrutiny. Yes, he has some pretty clever ideas for stories. But both of these things only give a very limited vision as to the magnitude of his abilities. He knows just how to turn a phrase. A simile, a statement of fact, a single, simple description--these are things that Wodehouse knows how to convert from the mundane, ord
Martin
Hands down, one of PG Wodehouse's best books, and - at almost 300 pages - with a surprisingly negligible amount of garrulous padding. And the title character, Psmith? As verbose as they come, yet so full of charm, you cannot help but like the guy. Humour, love, assumed identities, misunderstandings - in short, everything we love about Wodehouse's books - it's all here. And to top it all off, one of the best endings I've read: all wrapped up neatly, and oh so perfectly. A gem!
Jessica Healy
Jun 23, 2016 Jessica Healy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
So, I read a lot of Wodehouse when I was.... fourteen? fifteen? sixteen? I don't remember. Some time during adolescence. And I did what I used to do a lot back then, which was find an author I enjoyed, and read EVERYTHING by them, and then get sick of them and never return. For years whenever Wodehouse came up I would simultaneously grin and groan. It's a strange disconnect to enjoy something so thoroughly as to be utterly done with it forever. (I have the same thing with Terry Pratchett, which ...more
Two Bibliomaniacs
Have we mentioned before that we love P.G. Wodehouse? No? Hummmm, well, our research department is woefully underfunded and we’re far too lazy to delve back into the archives ourselves... Just in case, we’ll mention it again. We love P.G. Wodehouse.

Fed up with the fish trade, eccentric good guy, Ronald Psmith is keen on a career change. To facilitate this urge, he takes out a classified add offering a rather ambitious range of services:

“Leave it to Psmith. Psmith will help you. Psmith is ready f
Harv Griffin
Aug 26, 2013 Harv Griffin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own
pic of my copy of the book

My dad was always after me to read P.G. Wodehouse, particularly the Psmith novels. Dad would say, "The P is silent like in swimming."

LEAVE IT TO PSMITH is by far my favorite Wodehouse novel. Chasing a girl, Psmith follows her to a mansion, where he blithely impersonates a poet to gain access.

When I first read this in college, during a lazy day when I had spare moments, I laughed so hard at one of the descriptions that I fell out of bed. I remember wheezing uncontrollably on the floor until it ac
S Prakash
Jul 07, 2014 S Prakash rated it it was amazing
A laugh a line is what makes it a riot of raucous laughter. Psmith( P silent as in Psychology), with his entourage of friends, acquaintances, buffoons and imposters sets the stage for non stop guffaws at Lord Emsworth's Blandings Castle. Each of the characters have singular obsessons; like Lord Emsworths passion for his garden, Lady Constanance for the company of poets, Threepwood for movies only to be matched by the singular aversion for fish by Psmith.

The setting of Wodehouse's novels in the p
Amy
Apr 19, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a relief to read something genuinely funny and enjoyable! P.G. Wodehouse is incredible.
Leave it to Smith is a rambling, interconnected story about a diamond necklace, several schemes to steal said necklace, and a man named Psmith (the P is silent) hired to assist with those schemes. Though I suppose Psmith is the main character, the novel does an incredible job narrating several plot points and providing a great, entangled romp of a story.
If I have one complaint, it would be that
Annie Hawthorne
Wodehouse is the genius of British humor. I can't believe I've existed for twenty years without ever reading his books before. What was wrong with me? Needless to say, if you have yet to read any of his thoroughly delightful works, fix that before you're a month older.
Do. It.
His writing is hysterical and a breath of fresh air. But be warned, reading Wodehouse whilst cooking a meal is a bad idea. Not if you want your food to survive.
Julie
Nov 07, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
It’s been quite a while since I’ve read any Wodehouse, so when I saw this at the library book sale, I picked it up and was immediately taken with the line “the ‘p’ is silent, as in pshrimp.” This is just what one would expect: mistaken identity, an absent-minded peer, an imperious dowager, young love, a fluttering poetess, laugh-out-loud lines, and a picturesque English manor as the main setting.
Carol
Feb 13, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really needed to read this now - it was the perfect book to read at the moment! Light-hearted, witty and few laugh out loud passages.
Another moment it might not have been the perfect moment, and I may have rated it differently but for now, four solid stars!
Bokeshi
In all of the Wodehouse canon, Psmith may arguably be his greatest creation. He's certainly my favorite, along with the Blandings crew -- and in this book, we get to see them unite in one of the most whimsical romps ever written. Priceless.
May 08, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Written very obviously to entertain and amuse, under the conviction that laughter is good medicine and the reader is terribly ill- Wodehouse gets 5 stars!
Ryan
Dec 16, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it
To borow the words of Stephen Fry (by which I mean shamelessly steal) :

"You don't analyse such sunlit perfection, you just bask in its warmth and splendour."
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • Manalive
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • Pictures from an Institution
  • The Ascent of Rum Doodle
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • Black Mischief
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man
  • Three Men on the Bummel (Three Men, #2)
  • The Complete Saki
  • Empire of Bones (Ashtown Burials #3)
  • Molesworth
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Psmith (4 books)
  • Mike and Psmith (Psmith, #1)
  • Psmith in the City (Psmith, #2)
  • Psmith, Journalist (Psmith, #3)

“We must always remember, however,' said Psmith gravely, 'that poets are also God's creatures.” 15 likes
“Liz," said Mr. Cootes, lost in admiration, "when it comes to doping out a scheme, you're the snake's eyebrows!” 10 likes