Start by marking “Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking

Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Fuchsia Dunlop trained as a chef in China’s leading Sichuan cooking school and possesses the rare ability to write recipes for authentic Chinese food that you can make at home. Following her two seminal volumes on Sichuan and Hunan cooking, Every Grain of Rice is inspired by the vibrant everyday cooking of southern China, in which vegetables play the starring role, with sm ...more
Published February 4th 2013 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Every Grain of Rice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Grain of Rice

Will
I've been recommending this book even since before it came out, and overall, it's really good. The illustrations and glossary are great (some really appetizing photos!), and she includes lots of handy reference pictures, which should really help people who are trying to find the right ingredients, or who want a reference of how certain cuts should look.

As a vegetarian, I love how vegetarian friendly the book is, and also the fact that she includes so many home cooking style recipes where meat is
Lee Broderick
I get the impression that if this had been written by a TV chef then it would have been called 'How to Cook Chinese' or, perhaps, 'Easy Chinese Cooking'. It wasn't though and the title is one of the best I've seen for a cookbook in recent years - The Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook was another great title and that, too, was by Fuchsia Dunlop. That book focussed on Hunan cuisine, just as her first, the far more simply titled Sichuan Cookery had also focussed on a region she knew well. Highly edu ...more
Frederick
A fantastic look into Chinese cooking. This book provides clear and concise instructions on Chinese style meals. However, not only though does it provide the recipes, it lists the tools, cutting styles and even basic stock recipes to keep a full Chinese kitchen in your house.

I have a Chinese girlfriend and normally she views Western Chinese books as too simple or full of western style recipes. I showed her this and she has read it from cover to cover (quite a feat for a cookbook!). She remarks
Rui
I'm a Chinese living abroad and was never allowed in the kitchen while in China. When I get home-food sick, I find most recipe books, especially those written in Chinese, unpractical for beginners like me who already know what authentic food should taste like, until I found out "Every Grain of Rice"! Not only the title reminds me of the Tang dynasty poem I was forced to recite whenever I have left even one grain of rice in the bowl,the food in it are exactly what my family cook at home. It has a ...more
Eric
I never buy cookbooks--recipes are readily available online and a survey can usually give you a number of ideas as to how you might prepare any given dish--but this is a singular exception (outside of the staples).

The visuals are very helpful, esp for learning or reviewing the variety of cuts or ingredient reference. This might be unfair, but it might have been nice to provide substitutions or alternatives to the hard to find food stuffs. Otherwise a tremendous introduction to Sichuan cooking!
Zaynaz
Having now stocked up my kitchen with a few basics, and cooked several recipes from this book I'm very happy with it.

I've always been wary of Chinese cooking after ending up with dishes that don't really resemble the textures or flavours of food I've had in more authentic restaurants. I think my problem was overthinking it.

Yes the recipes in this book are often quite simple but that was not a bad thing in my view as it helped me move past the idea that authentic flavours demand complex recipes
Lindsey Duncan
A knowledgeable, inviting and passionate book of Chinese cuisine, this tome offers recipes from the simplest to the more complex, and explains the context both historical and specific for each. It's an educational and entertaining cookbook. Two things struck me in the negative: one, there were more overly basic recipes than I would have liked; and two, like so many of the books I've investigated for Asian region cuisines, it overestimates the ease of finding rare specialty ingredients. Still, th ...more
Shira
Apr 22, 2014 Shira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crystal
Shelves: feast
This book is fantastic. I am so grateful to any cookbook author who tells you how to shop for the ingredients and SHOWS you what the veggies, labels, and spices look like. I may not have to buy dumplings for my emergency weeknight soup ever again!
I cannot wait to make more dishes from this book!
Lots of great vegetable recipes that have me eating greens, greens, greens!
Kym
I am now in love with Chinese cooking and am running out to buy this book. The pictures are wonderful, but even better are the recipes. They use simple, mostly accessible ingredients and, I was surprised to learn, are vegetable prominent. For those who enjoy eating vegetarian or Paleo, the possibilities are endless! I am adding this book to my collection.
Jean
I like to get cookbooks from the library to find out how useful they are before I decide on buying it. If it only has a few useful recipes I just copy them and return the book. If they end up having so many useful recipes that I can't be bothered to copy them then I know it's a keeper. EGOR falls into the latter category.

If you're a good cook already or rather an intuitive cook then you probably don't need this book. I'm not an intuitive cook. I need to follow recipes. So though I'm familiar wit
Kendahl
Fantastic recipes, easy to follow, excellent glossaries and descriptions for sourcing ingredients/tools, and all-around amazing. The Chinese food this book allows me to cook is top-notch, and tastes far better than any Chinese restaurant in my neighborhood. I can't recommend this highly enough.
Rebecca
There were some disappointing editing errors, and some of the ingredients (sauces/vingars) have different translations between companies and therefore are difficult to find. I finally found one ingredient by sounding it out out loud in the middle of the store. :)

LOVED the Chestnut Chicken.
Heather
Perhaps it's because I don't tend to make Chinese food at home, but I wasn't interested in these recipes. I also found the amount of vegetables in her zha jiang mian to be ridiculously high (even though I like vegetables).
Having lived in Shanghai for a year doesn't make me an expert on Chinese food, but it does mean I have a taste memory for the food I ate on a daily basis (not banquet food), how it was presented to me, etc. This book hits those memories perfectly.

I usually keep library cookbooks for a while, cook from them, see how they will work into my regular eating repertoire. I've had this book out of the library for a week. It took me one day to decide to buy it.

Happy, happy, happy eating with this book.
Deodand
Like many others, I borrow recipe books from the library on a trial basis. I will definitely be buying this one. This is exactly what I was looking for in a Chinese cookbook: something below the restaurant-level recipes with 20+ ingredients - just the stuff home cooks make and serve.

There was a bit of head-scratching in the Asian supermarket involved on my part, but Dunlop provides plenty of information to help those of us who are shopping in a foreign language.
Michelle
Fantastic! Terrific, much more do-able at home than many Chinese cookbooks, beautiful photography, fascinating and well written reminiscences of where the author ate the recipes. No nutritional info (sigh) but I have to forgive her because of the variability she gives for ingredients (substitutes for what we might not be able to find, etc.) Definitely planning to make a few of these right away, and even more if I can only find smoked tofu. :-)
Heather
drool.....drool....drool... Trying the short rib and one of the noodle recipes this weekend. Can't wait!
Nalora
A perfectly done Chinese Cookbook, with beautiful color photos of every dish. Not your typical recipes but fresh new ones and some very old ones. Great descriptions of ingredients and tools needed to cook great Chinese. Would be a nice addition to anyone's cookbook collection.
Richard
Excellent! Richly deserves the recommendation by economist/blogger Tyler Cowen as "perhaps the best book ever, on any subject". I especially liked the detailed and easy-to-understand section about which foods and spices to buy.
Daniel
Great cookbook. I've been cooking some of these recipes for the last 3 months and my wife is always asking if we are having "asian cuisine" for dinner tonight.
Piers
A fabulous book. I don't think there's been a week since we bought it when I didn't cook something from its pages. Everything we've tried has been delicious.
Autumn
The last time I had a wok, I used it to make a little kitchen fire. This book convinced me to buy another wok. IT'S THAT GOOD.
This is a great book for trying your hand at some of your favorite Chinese dishes.
Kala
Kala marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
John Galt
John Galt marked it as to-read
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily added it
Julio
Julio marked it as to-read
  • Thai Food
  • Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Vietnamese Home Cooking
  • Asian Tofu: Discover the Best, Make Your Own, and Cook It at Home
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook
Fuchsia Dunlop is a cook and food-writer specialising in Chinese cuisine. She is the author of Shark’s Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China, an account of her adventures in exploring Chinese food culture, and two critically-acclaimed Chinese cookery books, Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, and Sichuan Cookery (published in the US as Land of Plenty).

Fuchsia writes for public
More about Fuchsia Dunlop...
Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A sweet-sour memoir of eating in China