Start by marking “Flirting With Intent (The Wests, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flirting With Intent (The Wests, #1)

Flirting With Intent (The Wests #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  157 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Ruby's Relationship Rules…

Ruby Maguire is done with being jerked around by men. Now she just needs to know three things about a potential bedmate: his name, where he'll be in a week's time and what it is he wants from her.

Damon West knows plenty about subterfuge and secrets, and nothing about being truthful with women. But Ruby demands honesty between them so Damon gives
Published October 2nd 2012 by Harlequin (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Flirting With Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flirting With Intent

Talking Dirty with the CEO by Jackie AshendenStepbrother Dearest by Penelope WardSteady Beat by Lexxie CouperLaugh by Mary Ann RiversLoving the White Liar by Kate  Stewart
ADHD in Romance Novels
8th out of 12 books — 11 voters
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyTempt Me at Twilight by Lisa KleypasIt Happened One Autumn by Lisa KleypasWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa JamesMine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas
Brainy/Genius Romantic Heroes
236th out of 360 books — 385 voters

More lists with this book...

Verity
It pains me to give this a mediocre rating, but otha than the limo nookie, there wasn't much I could write home about. The conflict was almost non-existent, the H/h murmured a lot, the hacker genius hero (think Mark Zuckerberg from The Social Network but w/ a lickalicious hawt bod & traffic-stopping mug) has ADHD & keeps peeps @ arm's length just 'cuz that's how he's wired. Overprivileged Heroine works as executive PA for hero's dad, likes to wear hair bands, has a routine of having a on ...more
Ridley
Sep 19, 2012 Ridley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ridley by: Twitter - @ros_clarke
I'm having a bad day with my hands today, so I'm just gonna type some quick notes then write a review later.

- Hunter writes such amusing dialog, I smile almost non-stop while reading her books.

- Anyone who likes flirtation and courtship should definitely read this one. Lots of that, and it's funny, cute, heartbreaking, angsty and hot.

- Could've done without all the spy woo-woo. I've never met a spy plot or character I've liked, though.

- The back blurb makes the hero look like an emotionally clos
Estara
Apr 14, 2012 Estara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of glitz and fast contemporary romance with great snappy dialogue
Recommended to Estara by: Li
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Jess
Feb 21, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
Relationship negotiation! This might be my favorite part of Kelly Hunter's books, I think, in that while there usually is some obstacle that keeps the hero/heroine from being able to commit to each other completely, it's not one party or the other making some sacrifice to be together. It's both of them, together, trying to work out a way that can work.

And Ruby and Damon were just a super delightful example of that. Hacking and headbands and all.
Joanne
Oct 30, 2011 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Kelly's books and really enjoyed this one. Great conflict between H&H which had me wondering how on earth they were going to resolve things between them.

With the hero having a brother and 2 sisters, I'm hoping Kelly will write stories for these interesting characters and give them each their own HEA :)
Dalia
Oct 01, 2012 Dalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!
KH is a fav author to me. I love her books & this one is no exception.
I love the original trope ( Damon is a genius computer hacker ) the well drawn characters, , the fresh & flirty writing style, the witty banter and the flying sparks. The book is funny, cute & breezy but full of depth & emotions.
Judi
I read my first ever Kelly Hunter book Her Singapore Fling, loved it to bits and immediately added her to my author auto-buy list.

Kelly Hunter gives good story. She has a distinctive voice with an Aussie charm and flair.

I really liked what a strong character Ruby Maguire was. No simpering female here and the perfect match for the sober and closed off Damon West. I loved them together.

Ruby's a confident, self-assured independent woman from a privileged upbringing but she’s trying to put the past
Elisabeth
Feb 11, 2014 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elisabeth by: Kelly Hunter glom
This is the second Kelly Hunter book and I really enjoy her stories. I find her characters realistic and adult. The angst isn't overpowering and the characters manage to talk to one another as opposed to letting misunderstandings separate them.

This was the best Christmas book I read this Christmas because no small town, no snow, no baking grandmas, no sweet little tykes and no heavy handed Christmas message. It's also not really a Christmas book although the action starts out a couple of days be
Romy Sommer
Mar 23, 2013 Romy Sommer rated it really liked it
I've been a Kelly Hunter fan since I read 'Misbehaving with the Magnate' a few years ago, and each book of hers I read just gets better.

It's hard to pin-point what I love most about her books - the almost poetic writing style, the emotional and sexual intensity, the clever dialogue (why can I never come up with brilliant dialogue like that?!), but I've finally decided that the reason I love this author is that every book is different. It's almost as if in each book she sets out to challenge hers
Kat at Book Thingo
Click here to read my full review at Book Thingo.

Up until Hunter fleshes out the internal conflicts for these characters, she had me entranced. Ruby and Damon are quick, funny and their dialogue is filled with innuendo and layers of meaning. I love that.

The story starts off beautifully, but sizzling chemistry can’t save a couple that feels like they won’t last six months, let alone a lifetime.

Who might enjoy it: People who enjoyed Swordfish

Who might not enjoy it: Ethical hackers

One last thing: t
Cecilia
Nov 03, 2012 Cecilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intelligent and witty. The book made me smile frequently at least for the first half, as the growing relationship between the protagonists was quite delightful. As things became more serious, I smiled less often, but was still fully engaged in what was developing. I missed the easy charm, but found the characters more interesting and believable. There is a bit of a spy thing going on in the background, but even though this is the kind of thing I detest, it was integrated well. It's not like ther ...more
Bungluna
Feb 11, 2014 Bungluna rated it liked it
Shelves: category
This story started out strong, with fun dialogue and loads of chemistry between the protagonists. When the spy plot kicked in, though, I just couldn't follow. It felt too fantastical.
Umzymamo
kelly hunter.. hahaha 'hi i'm Damon West' exactly what Gabby needed to hear!!! exactly what keept me turning those pages!!
Lupita Figueroa BookLoverRomantic
Muy regular... Más bien, mala.
KarenF
Dec 18, 2012 KarenF rated it really liked it
Fun, flirty & adorable. Both Ruby & Damon are likeable characters, apart and together. Loved Ruby's headbands and how a fun fashion accessory can have a deeper or sentimental meaning to the person wearing it. The spy stuff didn't work as well for me but after seeing the true story that was Argo I find I can't work up much disbelief for anything in that realm. But in the end, it was really about Ruby & Damon's relationship and I enjoyed that part very much.
Lenore Kosinski
Nov 12, 2012 Lenore Kosinski rated it really liked it
Shelves: harlequin
I really enjoyed this one...such an interesting and refreshing play between Damon and Ruby. They were each such interesting characters, and their relationship was unusual from what I'm used to reading in Harlequin Presents. So much witty banter...Ruby just made me want to cheer her. She was so different, and went through so much in life, but she was strong too. Looking forward to the rest of the West books now....
Li
I read this during my Kelly Hunter glom, when I made my way through her entire backlist during a couple of weeks (okay, I exaggerate, but only slightly).

I liked the Hong Kong setting in this one and as always, the chemistry between the hero/heroine worked perfectly. I also liked how she played around with redemption/acceptance themes in this book.
Melissa Maxwell
Jan 27, 2013 Melissa Maxwell rated it it was amazing
I loved the book so much. Ruby used to be open and trusting but when her father is on the lamb with millions it affects her trust of people. Damon has always pushed people away blaming one issue or the next. They will only see each other for a week so what's a little harmless flirting. But when real emotions get involved who will jump ship first.
Rebecca
Oct 09, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Very cute category romance, but the blurb is a bit misleading. I enjoyed the book but felt it was missing the spark that some of Ms. Hunter's other books have had. Still, Ruby and Damon are memorable characters, and their romance is a lot of fun to read.
Vanessa Kelly
Aug 27, 2013 Vanessa Kelly rated it it was amazing
A wonderful start to a new series. I love Kelly Hunter's cosmopolitan settings, and I loved the fact that the hero is a hacker. Her writing is always fresh and the characters and the emotional turning points are genuinely felt and often surprising. I'm a HUGE fan!
Carrie
I meant to write a better review, but time is too short right now. Suffice to say this was an enjoyable book. I like the Hunter writes, especially her dialogues. the characters are a little over-the-top, but still enjoyable. It was good!
Ms_prue
Sep 22, 2015 Ms_prue rated it liked it
Computer hacker youngest West hooks up with temporary social secretary/former corporate lawyer Ruby. Good story but not mind-blowing.
Auraya
Oct 08, 2013 Auraya rated it really liked it
Shelves: cute
Beautifully written! Flawless continuity. It practically read itself :)
Dina
Oct 30, 2013 Dina rated it liked it
This book is smart and witty, but boring; if it makes any sense.
Amy
Feb 02, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Snappy dialogue, cute story, and an easy breezy read.
Harlequin Books
Jen
Rating: 3.5/5
  • All They Need
  • Never Stay Past Midnight
  • Once a Ferrara Wife... (Ferrara, #1)
  • Back to the Good Fortune Diner
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • The Petrov Proposal  (Forrester, #2)
  • The Sister Swap
  • The Wedding Fling (Harlequin Blaze #734)
  • Dating and Other Dangers
  • Another Man's Baby
  • A Man Like Mac
  • Reservations for Two
  • Ms. Match (Harlequin Blaze #424)
  • The Disgraced Playboy (Bad Blood, #2)
  • Not Just the Greek's Wife
Australian born Kelly Hunter is a three time Romance Writers of America Rita finalist, a USA Today Bestselling author and loves writing to the demands of the short category romance form.
More about Kelly Hunter...

The Wests (4 books)
  • Cracking the Dating Code (The Wests, #2)
  • What the Bride Didn't Know (The Wests, #3)
  • The Spy Who Tamed Me