Start by marking “First Impressions: First Impressions\Blithe Images” as Want to Read:
First Impressions: First Impressions\Blithe Images

First Impressions: First Impressions\Blithe Images

First ImpressionsEscaping the rat race and the lure of gold-digging women, wealthy businessman Vance Banning moves to rural Maryland. Posing as an out-of-work carpenter, all he wants is peace and quiet. So the last thing Vance needs is a charitable neighbor—especially a beautiful and persistent one of the female persuasion. But there's something about Shane Abbot that Vanc ...more
Published October 23rd 2012 by Silhouette (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about First Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Impressions

Lindsay
Dec 24, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First Impressions:
A very slow starting story. I didn't know if I was going to be able to get through it at first. However, there were a few unexpected and interesting plot turns towards the middle of the story. After that, the story went downhill again. The main conflict was obvious from the very beginning and nothing saved the story after that.

Blithe Images:
This story creeped me completely out and then just annoyed me. It felt like I was reading a romance novel from the 70s - you know the type,
Carly Ellen Kramer
A cute story and entertaining read, but not one of my favorite Nora Roberts books. I know many readers think her earlier stories were better, but I disagree. I enjoyed some of her recent books more than some of her earlier stories (this book was written in '84, I believe).
Betsy
Dec 21, 2008 Betsy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was okay, but typical. The guy gets the girl; the girl gets the guy. The second story, Blithe Images, was better than the first. Although neither were earth shattering. Very much fiction, relationships don't happen like this in the real world.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
I love Nora Roberts. I do, it's true, I say it loud and I say it proud.

The first story is classic Roberts. Flawed characters, a sense of betrayal, Alpha male, unassuming female, family conflict, plot twist, love at first sight, and an eventual happy ending.

It's a comfort book. You don't put much thought into it, you simply pick it up, read it and hope that your brain hasn't gained any weight with all of the saccharine that its just been subject to. No one writes cliche/obvious romance like Nora
Ruby Lee
Nov 18, 2013 Ruby Lee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know that both of these stories are from the early 80's and they read like that.

First Impressions was a good story. It was sweet and a good read. The problem that I had was with Blithe Images and the way that it skirted around images of rape and sexual assault. He called her a tease when she won't have sex with him, became angry, and suggested that he wasn't above forcing the issue when it was something that he wanted. This is not romantic or fun. Love is not having a guy want you so much tha
Kelly Moran
Dec 03, 2008 Kelly Moran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was 2 of her older contemporary romances combined. I liked them. Relatable and a quick fun read.
Zuleima Salazar
Krystie Park
Dec 16, 2012 Krystie Park rated it did not like it
This was my first Nora Roberts book, and to be honest, I'm not even remotely impressed.

The characters in both book are so bland and typical. Nothing about the characters made them likeable to me. At times, I even found myself DISliking the characters because they seemed so fake.

Another thing that bothered me about these novels is the male dominance. In my opinion, it seemed that the men always had the upper hand, and the women were told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. For example,
Donna
Sep 11, 2016 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a few weeks to finish this two-book volume, mostly because I was finishing it for the sake of finishing it. These were my first Nora Roberts reads and I'm chalking my dissatisfaction with both stories up to the fact that they were earlier works. She can't have achieved her current standing churning out stories like these. I will pick up something more recent and try again.

First Impressions was better than Blithe Images, hence the 1 star rating, but the love story felt weak to me as i
Anne Holly
May 13, 2014 Anne Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
Pretty typical collection of "billionaire bags babe" stories. Not a bad time-killer if you're into that type of thing, but don't expect anything new. Neither has much tension - "Will the two incredibly lovely single people fall in love?" Cliche, I know, but I don't usually mind that. However, with these shorties, it's just a bit more forced than I normally want to see, I think.

The first story was better than the second, in my opinion; though the heroine was a bit of a lunatic, I did find she gre
Beabe
Dec 16, 2012 Beabe rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Wow. The cover on this book is completely deceptive, and that's just the beginning of the problem. Both these stories are republished from the early 1980's. First Impressions I liked, Blithe Images was horribly dated, and I hated the "hero" of the story. Blithe Images was published in 1981, and should hae stayed there. Discos, cigarette smoking (ugh), typewriter images, are just part of the jarring parts of this book. Spoiler alert: and don't get me started on sleeping with one woman while pursu ...more
Joanne
Feb 07, 2009 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had two romance stories in it. Personally, after all the holiday rush and declining economy it was just nice to read of sweet love.

Of the two stories, I liked First Impressions more. The characters seemed more real and not as perfect as in Blithe Images (the model and mega-publisher). Nora Roberts added a little out of sorts character in Shane's mother in First Impressions and I was surprised such a vicious character reared her ugly head! Her role was limited, but she was rememberable
Raving Redcoat
Jan 23, 2016 Raving Redcoat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
I made the mistake of judging this book by its cover, and thinking it would be a light romance set during the Christmas season. What I got was two stories of dreadful quality. The longer one featured wooden characters, idiotic action, and a plot that could have been resolved in 50 pages if the main characters had half a brain between them. The second at least had some plot, but was less about romance and more about workplace sexual harassment. Unless you're a rabid Nora Roberts fan, avoid this.
Kathy
I love Nora Roberts, and these two books seemed like classic NR books. It was very interesting to see how different romance heroes used to be in the early 80s compared to more modern ones: one thing that sticks in my mind is that Bret, the hero of "Blithe Images", calls Hilary a tease for not putting out. It's also funny to read about characters relaxing with a cigarette.

I'm so glad that Silhouette is reprinting Nora Roberts's older titles, and I'm looking forward to reading them all.
Kim
Jan 25, 2009 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a trashy beach read
I read this on the beach in Cebu. The perfect book to read while sipping a margarita. By the time I was done it was covered with sand, had been left on a beach chair in the rain, and had been dropped once in the pool. Great vacation read. I hope someone in housekeeping appreciated that I left in in the hotel room for them. :)
Denise
Apr 28, 2015 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a dual book-two separate stories. I really enjoyed First Impressions, but did not care AT ALL for Blithe Images. It was just too Harlequin for me. Love most of what Nora Roberts writes, but not this time.
Melody
The first story in the book was called "First Impressions", I liked it, it was a nice, sweet romance, with a touch of Christmas. The second story was called " Blithe Images"it wasn't as good as the first one, but still like the first one, it was a quick holiday read.
Kelsey
I read Blithe Images first for some reason a couple of months ago and I don't remember if I liked it or not, but I thought First Impressions wasn't bad for 1984, so four stars seems good enough for me.
Ann Bredemeier
Jan 22, 2016 Ann Bredemeier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story. I truly enjoyed it and may read it again when I need a quick lift.
Darlene Roy
Enjoyed both stories in this book. I liked First Impressions better than Blithe Images. It was a quick read and great to take down to the pool and read. I would recommend this as a good read.
Diane Felci
Apr 02, 2013 Diane Felci rated it it was ok
Stories about beautiful, rich people meeting and falling in love. A fairy tale.
Robin Anne
Fair. Read this while at the air port waiting for my flight. Typical boy falls for girl and vice-versa in both stories. Great for a quick read.
Lyndi
Whoooaaa... I started with Blithe Images and that shit is super rapey. No, thank you.
Stephanie
Dec 05, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
first impressions I enjoyed. didn't take long to read... but I can't seem to get into blithe images.
Cecilia Manjarrez
Liked the 2nd book better
M-J
Jun 15, 2011 M-J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two very enjoyable and fun romances.
Nicole
Jun 11, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was slow to start I did like the stories how ever I did out it down for while case i got board with it but finished it.
Sloane
May 05, 2015 Sloane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as some of Roberts' novels, but I enjoyed First Impressions and the Vance and Shane characters, as well as some of the peripheral ones.
Amelia Elizabeth
First Iimpressions - 4 stars
Blithe Images - 3 stars
Maja Devic
Mar 06, 2013 Maja Devic rated it really liked it
i liked the book, both stories were interesting.
  • Tough Enough: The Cowboy & The Cougar & Odd Man Out
  • Comfort and Joy
  • The Braddock Boys: Colton (Braddock Boys, #4) (Love At First Bite, #7)
  • The Christmas Brides: A McKettrick Christmas\A Creed Country Christmas (McKettricks, #10; Montana Creeds, #4)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • When You Wish
  • Angels at Christmas: Those Christmas Angels / Where Angels Go
  • The Draycott Legacy: Bridge of Dreams & Enchantment
  • Endless Night : Switchback / Cry of the Wild
  • Let's Be Jolly! (2-in-1)
  • Passion and Peril: Scenes of Passion\Scenes of Peril
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • So This Is Christmas (Includes: The Protectors, #19)
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • The Last Princess
  • Three Great Novels (Inspector Rebus, #7-9)
  • It Happened One Christmas
  • You've Got Male (OPUS #1)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...