Start by marking “The Darkest of Secrets” as Want to Read:
The Darkest of Secrets

The Darkest of Secrets (The Power of Redemption #1)

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Khalis Tannous has spent years ruthlessly eradicating every hint of corruption and scandal from his life—even shunning his own family.When Grace Turner arrives at Khalis's private Mediterranean island to view his family's stolen collection of priceless art, even he isn't blind to her beauty. Yet he recognizes the shadows in her eyes—she, too, has her secrets.

Grace can fore
Published September 18th 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest of Secrets

willaful
I'm having a great run of original, well-written Harlequin Presents lately -- seems like they've changed more than just their awful titles. This one also kind of plays with the genre conventions, which I love: Grace's past is right out of a traditional HP, except in her case, it worked out very badly. (As it almost certainly would in most real life cases.) When she meets Khalis, she's quite reasonably frightened of his inflexible, unforgiving attitude towards his harsh family, one of several cha ...more
RLA
I almost didn't read this book... but I am so glad I did as this book is simply brilliant.

The hero has to be one of the best heroes I have read in a very long time! He is so open and loving towards the heroine, and not at all cruel and domineering. I can't tell you how great it is to read a hero who is not just interested in some casual brief fling with the heroine (or any other woman that croses his path!).

This is certainly a risky book, some readers probably won't like the heroines past action
Alex is The Romance Fox
Kate Hewitt is a unique and Mills & Boon author, who is not afraid to write romance with a bit more edge than usual and that, apart from her really great writing, is what makes her one of my top favorite author in this genre.

The Darkest Secrets she tackles the subject of marriage infidelity by the heroine, which is just so taboo normally – the heroine tends to be a young, naïve virgin and Grace Turner is certainly not that. What I liked about Grace is discovering that she makes no excuses fo
Carol Storm
Absolutely loved this book! Grace is a strong, sensitive heroine, who is genuinely good at her job and takes pride in her career. (Sure wish Lisa Kleypas could write modern heroines like this!) Khalis is a little harder to like, he's the "ruthless tycoon" but seems awfully squishy at times. Still the two of them have a real connection and the artwork descriptions are really beautiful!
Melanie♥
I kept waiting and wanting to like this book. My hopes were high almost to the very end and then they were crushed by the big reveal.

Spoilers below.

* Her darkest secret was her affair with the property manager during her unhappy marriage.
* She eludes to an unhappy and possibly abusive marriage, but in fact, she could have left her "prison" at any time. It was her own weakness that kept her there.
* Instead of focusing on her child she had an affair because of her unhappiness.
* She tells of a chil
Vashti
I really wanted to like this book,liked the storyline,the hero,the heroine,then as I read futher into the story,my most major of stumbling blocks.Marital sexual infidelity on the part of the heroine while married to her first husband,not the hero with her handyman .During this affair,she apparantely neglected her young child.
That is a no no for me and my enjoyment slowly went down hill.I forced myself to finish only because i wanted to find out about the presumed dead brother.His story looks int
Sandra
He aquí un buen ejemplo de heroína "fuerte" (ironía, ironía)

En mi mundo, una mujer con carácter y personalidad, se habría divorciado y cuidado a su hijo. Luego, si quería encamarse con el empleado, el vecino, el carnicero o el último monito de feria, pues que lo hiciera. Pero no lo que hizo esta pseudo mujer "fuerte". Y prácticamente en las narices de su marido y su hijo.

No sé. Llamadme retorciada *Tos*, pero creo que habría quedado mejor que el héroe hubiera sido ese amante-empleado. Pero la a
Ridley
This was a frustrating read for me. Hewitt has a great voice for Presents, and the story was technically well-written. Unfortunately, the story itself traded heavily in regret, remorse and guilt and after the truth behind their feelings come out the heroine reads like a weak-ass martyr.
Tia
I was disappointed a bit. I expected more background, guess I'm a picky girl. I love stories that have the richness of background. It makes me fall in love with he characters and the emotions they portray. I just feel this didn't have enough and even the epilogue was very quick. The story just ended abruptly but on a happy note. Happy note or not, I didn't appreciate the end, which in turn made me iffy towards the book and the overall outcome. I'm sure once you read it, you can judge it for your ...more
Roub
it was very different from the usual HP. however, i found it boring due to the lack of angst. der was angst only near the very end when grace revealed the truth. it was too late by then to make the book interesting! perhaps loukas shud have been the hero. after all, let's compare wid The Veranchetti Marriage and it's easily believable dat loukas cud have been the hero! in this case, the heroine was indeed guilty and dat's really a 1st in HP land! this book had huge potential but it failed lament ...more
Charo
You can read Ammar's story in "The Husband She Never Knew" by Kate Hewitt
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Power Of Redemption
Category: Classic Romance
Nas Dean
THE DARKEST OF SECRETS by author Kate Hewitt is a Mills & Boon Modern/Harlequin Presents release for May 2012.

Escaping her disastrous past Grace Turner tried hard to remake herself and made a name as an assessor of renaissance paintings.

After inheriting his dead father’s company, business tycoon Khalis Tannous just wanted to sell off everything. Then he comes across some valuable paintings which he suspected were stolen. He hired the best assessor there was. And the best in the business was
Camille
I don't usually read romance novels, so I don't know that I'm the best judge since I don't really have a huge foundation for comparison. That being said, this book was about what I'd expected for a romance novel. Concerning romance novels, I don't know that I will ever be able to take seriously any story where characters fall in love within days, as it just seems so unrealistic to me. But then again, perhaps that fantasy aspect is what attracts readers to this genre. I imagine that if I was in m ...more
Christine
Disclaimer: I won a free copy of this book from GoodReads First Reads Program.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when this book came in the mail. The package was so small, I couldn't believe there was actually a whole book inside. Upon opening it, I soon realized why -- this book is a UK Harlequin romance title. I've never read any US harlequin books, let alone UK ones, so I don't really have a point of comparison, but I'm fairly sure Harlequins are not known for their length or depth. What I d
This book was about a man and a woman who meet and they both have their own secrets and problems. They never imagined falling for each other, so it was entertaining watching them take risks and opening up more and more. Also a fabolous ending, very glad that it was a happy ending. But I also enjoyed that the heroine wasn't perfect she had her issues and so did he. Lifes not perfect and neither are people and theauthor did a good job portraying that.

I got this book through a giveaway, so I never
Esra
Bu ara okuduğum harlequinlerin çevirisi beni benden aldı!!!
Donna Parker
As the title implies, this book is a romance with a dark edge. No spoilers, you'll have to read it yourself. Won this from Goodreads and having never read a Harlequin UK I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleased, it was a quick and entertaining read although it had its thinking moments. Everyone deserves another chance seemed to be the theme and a good one. It also had lovely words like 'torch' instead of 'flashlight', so cool.
Dalyia
A different story .. I enjoyed read it

Grace is different heroine not as usual,she had abad past and tried to react with it
And
Khalis character was different from the traditional heros , his struggle with the principle of tolerance with both Grace and her past and with his brother ammar

the end scene was simple... i liked it
Diane
this book was rather different for a harlequin presents--the heroine admitted to adultery in her previous marriage, and the hero struggled to deal with that in his own mind. most hp heroines don't admit to having feet of clay as this one did, and it makes a nice change.
Rita
Won this book free through Goodreads Firsts Reads giveaway. Was a very nice story. Keeps you turning pages to find out the secrets of both Khalis and Grace. Will Grace give into the Khalis or can she withstand and not give in to temptation. A nice romance novel
Aisha
Excellent book! I read it in 4 hours-a very easy and fluid story, full of secrets and anger, very captivating and intriguing. I was very fascinated with all the drama and conflicts. And it has a nice epiloge that makes you think what could happen next...
Jill
First reads book. I wasn't sure whether I should give this book two stars or three stars. I bumped it up because the editing was good and I liked the idea of Leonardo DaVinci paintings being out there that we don't know of.
Jennifer Mcpherson
I keep reading hoping for the zing.. Ok to read but I was waiting for a good big ending since the author kept me frustrated with such big suspense..
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Power Of Redemption
Category: Classic Romance
Luisa Gough
horrible. what a waste of words.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Monarch of the Sands
  • A Deal at the Altar (Marriage By Command #2)
  • Banished to the Harem
  • At The Greek Boss's Bidding
  • Girl in the Bedouin Tent
  • In Bed with a Stranger (The Fitzroy Legacy #2)
  • The Merciless Travis Wilde (The Wilde Brothers, #3)
  • Defying Drakon (The Lyonedes Legacy, #1)
  • Princess From The Shadows (The Santina Crown, #6)
  • The Santorini Bride
  • The Brazilian's Blackmailed Bride (The Ramirez Brides #2)
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • The Greek's Blackmailed Wife
  • A Facade to Shatter (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty #6)
  • Cupcakes and Killer Heels (Brothers & Sisters, #2)
  • Deserving of His Diamonds?
Kate is the USA Today-bsetselling author of 35 romances with Harlequin Presents, hundreds of short stories, and several historical novels and anthologies now available on Kindle. Her first women's fiction with Penguin/NAL, Rainy Day Sisters, will be out in August 2015.

She likes to read romance, mystery, the occasional straight historical and angsty women's fiction; she particularly enjoys reading
More about Kate Hewitt...

The Power of Redemption (2 books)
  • The Husband She Never Knew
Out In The Country The Lone Wolfe (Bad Blood, #8) This Fragile Life An Inheritance of Shame (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #4) The Sheikh's Forbidden Virgin (The Royal House of Karedes #4)