Start by marking “A Family and a Fortune” as Want to Read:
A Family and a Fortune

A Family and a Fortune

Edwin Muir wrote of Ivy Compton-Burnett in the Observer: 'Her literary abilities have been abundantly acknowledged by the majority of her literary contemporaries. Her intense individuality has removed her from the possibility of rivalry. .. . She takes as her theme the tyrannies and internecine battles of English family life in leisured well-conducted country houses. To Mi ...more
Published August 25th 1983 by Penguin (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about A Family and a Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family and a Fortune

Rosemary
Jan 30, 2014 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite so far of the novels of Ivy Compton-Burnett. Now almost forgotten, her dialogue-driven caustic social commentaries were very popular in the middle of the 20th century. This one is a little bit less like a play than some, with more narrative that's not dialogue, but almost all of the action takes place in one house and the characters' clever, cutting remarks still dominate the plot.

It's the story of the Gaveston family through first the arrival of a malicious, embittered aunt
Camille de Fleurville
Jul 19, 2016 Camille de Fleurville rated it really liked it
I know that this book is up to the four stars I give it and yet I had difficulties reading it. But none by Ivy Compton-Burnett's have. I try and try again, see the merits, the work done over the style, the indirect psychological studies, the indirect definition of characters through dialogue, the manipulation of time, the brilliant dialogues - I saw these all and yet I am never interested enough to read fast or to close read.
Perhaps the day will come when I am ready for the novelist and her nov
Kat
Oct 14, 2015 Kat rated it it was ok
I read in an interview with Hilary Mantel that she obsessively reads and rereads Ivy Compton-Burnett. Remembering that I enjoyed a novel by Compton-Burnett many years ago I decided to try another, and picked A Family and a Fortune, which I think was her first. It dealt with interesting themes and had consistent characters, and I loved the ending, but in spite of that I gave it only two stars. Every page was all or nearly all dialogue, with no transitions from a conversation held one day to one h ...more
Khee
Sep 11, 2015 Khee rated it really liked it
Wow, this stuff is dense. There were times I nearly gave up, but then, a little like Scandi-Noir, boy did the story pick up. Melancholic and bitchy, I found. Not sure I'll read another, but glad I gave it a go. Also, kept thinking I was reading Wharton or James, not an English author- not sure yet why.
Andrew
May 09, 2016 Andrew rated it did not like it
Hated the book - couldn't get through it. Conceit of writing almost entirely in dialogue grew tiresome and became difficult to figure out which character is saying what. Didn't find the satiric elements particularly amusing or revealing, probably due to lack of familiarity with the milieu being satirized.
Melusine Parry
Mar 31, 2016 Melusine Parry rated it it was amazing
What a strange and amazing book! I had expected something very classical, a kind of bonnet romance, but not at all. It's almost all conversation - extremely stylised, odd, almost surrealistic conversation - between members of a family. Well worth discovering - it's unlike anything I've read before.
Hypocrite Lecteur
Mar 16, 2016 Hypocrite Lecteur rated it really liked it
"what intolerable bathos"
Des
Oct 15, 2011 Des rated it liked it
Shelves: british
Too much bickering, funny for a while but rather annoying after about 100 pages of it. The style is entertaining but the story line is just too slow to carry the myriad of bitter comments about each other.
Joanne
Jul 27, 2013 Joanne rated it liked it
Oh Lord, the interminable blather made me want to toss this book across the room. Eventually I became interested in the characters and where they were going.
Kitty
Dec 08, 2014 Kitty rated it it was ok
I read this because John Waters recommended this author's work. It was ok, but really not my style of book.
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 07, 2016
Sarah Sigal
Sarah Sigal marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Regan
Regan marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Waldo
Waldo added it
Mar 23, 2016
snack
snack rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Melford12
Melford12 marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Elyza
Elyza marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Terry Sneed
Terry Sneed rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Oct 24, 2015
Adrian
Adrian added it
Oct 01, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Nunung Rusmiati
Nunung Rusmiati marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dame Ivy Compton-Burnett, DBE was an English novelist, published (in the original hardback editions) as I. Compton-Burnett. She was awarded the 1955 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for her novel Mother and Son.
More about Ivy Compton-Burnett...