Start by marking “The Common Core Lesson Book, K-5: Working with Increasingly Complex Literature, Informational Text, and Foundational Reading Skills” as Want to Read:

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"To reach their potential, children need an engaging environment and a reason to learn. This book is aimed at helping teachers implement quality Common Core instruction around this principle." -Gretchen Owocki The quality of instruction is the most important factor in helping students meet the Common Core Standards. That's why Gretchen Owocki's Common Core Lesson Book empo ...more
Spiral-bound, 400 pages
Published April 12th 2012 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published April 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Common Core Lesson Book, K-5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Common Core Lesson Book, K-5

Kathyc
The summaries for each of the sections with anchor standards are straightforward and easy to read. The structures for lesson planning and tools to use with students are quite basic and many do not go beyond a graphic organizer. I will use some of the games and language reteaching for students who need additional help meeting the standards. A very large book (in size) could be condensed.
Neil Haner
New ideas and strategies, very organized and easy to find what you are looking for. This causes it to be a little repetitive, but it is worth it.
Jenny
A great book to remind us that best practices are best practices... no matter what standards or content you are teaching. This book provides practical, easy-to-implement strategies that can be used across all content areas. I have used some with teachers in staff development in learning about the Common Core Standards. It truly spans K-5. Ms. Owocki shows how it looks at each grade level.A must read for all teachers.
Ursula
This book had just what I was looking for. The graphic organizers are great. Even if I don't use them in class I can type them up as a reader response. The authors give different book titles for different grades so I can pick from books I have in my room or books I know the kids have not heard. Great resource.
Sharon Brown

Although I'm only half way through this book, I greatly appreciate the author's approach to the CCSS. I'll pour over this book for this entire school year.
Crystal Jones
Great book, love the graphic organizers and how it goes in depth with each objective.
Elizabeth
Very useful guide. I am sure I will wear it out next year.
Amy Ablanedo
Amy Ablanedo marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Stephanie Ann
Stephanie Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Missy Sample
Missy Sample marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Tina
Tina added it
Aug 08, 2014
Lisa Gogel
Lisa Gogel marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
For more than 15 years, Gretchen Owocki has helped teachers find researched-based practices that improve learning by letting students experience curriculum as part of their own development. In popular Heinemann titles like The RTI Daily Planning Book, K-6, Comprehension, Make Way for Literacy, and Time for Literacy Centers, she has shared teaching that engages students through authentic, meaningfu ...more
More about Gretchen Owocki...
Kidwatching: Documenting Childrens Literacy Development The Rti Daily Planning Book, K-6: Tools and Strategies for Collecting and Assessing Reading Data & Targeted Follow-Up Instruction The Common Core Writing Book, K-5: Lessons for a Range of Tasks, Purposes, and Audiences Literacy Through Play The Common Core Reading Book, Grades 6-8: Lessons for Increasingly Complex Literature, Informational Texts, and Content-Area Reading