Start by marking “The Common Core Lesson Book, K-5: Working with Increasingly Complex Literature, Informational Text, and Foundational Reading Skills” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"To reach their potential, children need an engaging environment and a reason to learn. This book is aimed at helping teachers implement quality Common Core instruction around this principle." -Gretchen Owocki The quality of instruction is the most important factor in helping students meet the Common Core Standards. That's why Gretchen Owocki's Common Core Lesson Book empo ...more
Spiral-bound, 400 pages
Published April 12th 2012 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published April 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Common Core Lesson Book, K-5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Common Core Lesson Book, K-5

Kathyc
Jan 21, 2015 Kathyc rated it liked it
The summaries for each of the sections with anchor standards are straightforward and easy to read. The structures for lesson planning and tools to use with students are quite basic and many do not go beyond a graphic organizer. I will use some of the games and language reteaching for students who need additional help meeting the standards. A very large book (in size) could be condensed.
Neil Haner
New ideas and strategies, very organized and easy to find what you are looking for. This causes it to be a little repetitive, but it is worth it.
Jenny
Mar 04, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
A great book to remind us that best practices are best practices... no matter what standards or content you are teaching. This book provides practical, easy-to-implement strategies that can be used across all content areas. I have used some with teachers in staff development in learning about the Common Core Standards. It truly spans K-5. Ms. Owocki shows how it looks at each grade level.A must read for all teachers.
Ursula
Dec 08, 2012 Ursula rated it really liked it
This book had just what I was looking for. The graphic organizers are great. Even if I don't use them in class I can type them up as a reader response. The authors give different book titles for different grades so I can pick from books I have in my room or books I know the kids have not heard. Great resource.
Sharon Brown
Aug 04, 2012 Sharon Brown rated it it was amazing

Although I'm only half way through this book, I greatly appreciate the author's approach to the CCSS. I'll pour over this book for this entire school year.
Crystal Jones
Jun 25, 2013 Crystal Jones rated it it was amazing
Great book, love the graphic organizers and how it goes in depth with each objective.
Elizabeth
Jun 06, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Very useful guide. I am sure I will wear it out next year.
Judy Rosen
Judy Rosen is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Leachliteracyhotmail.com
Leachliteracyhotmail.com marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Ariel
Ariel added it
Jan 15, 2016
Barbara Murphy Smith
Barbara Murphy Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Betty
Betty rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Kathryn Alkire
Kathryn Alkire marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Sue Geissler
Sue Geissler rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
karla hall
karla hall rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Linda Mccormick
Linda Mccormick rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Tjblack
Tjblack rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
Christi
Christi rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Ksdidion
Ksdidion rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Lynda Niffenegger
Lynda Niffenegger rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Patti Clark
Patti Clark rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
For more than 15 years, Gretchen Owocki has helped teachers find researched-based practices that improve learning by letting students experience curriculum as part of their own development. In popular Heinemann titles like The RTI Daily Planning Book, K-6, Comprehension, Make Way for Literacy, and Time for Literacy Centers, she has shared teaching that engages students through authentic, meaningfu ...more
More about Gretchen Owocki...