Start by marking “Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World” as Want to Read:
Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World

Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Emily Dickinson was an unknown poet during her lifetime, it was only after she died that her sister published her letters to the world. This is the story of the discovery of her poems, and a spotlight on the ones aimed at children. Illustrations.
Published March 19th 2002 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World

Earl
Jul 28, 2015 Earl rated it it was ok
It was impressive to read that one of the most popular poets of all time was unknown during her lifetime- her over 1700 poems being found by her sister after her death. A selection of Emily Dickinson's poems are shared in this picture book.
Rachel Tackett
Apr 24, 2014 Rachel Tackett rated it it was amazing
Emily Horn
Apr 23, 2015 Emily Horn rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-book
Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World is where her sister finds her poems she had written after they had laid Emily to rest. The poems are about Emily's journey through life and how she felt through each step of life, along with what she wanted to do in the world. Her sister promises in the end that the world will read Emily's poems. Some of the poems are harder to understand, so as a teaching tool I would just use one page at a time because each page is like a mini poem and the picture on that ...more
Cynthia
Mar 19, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Summary
Emily Dickinson’s sister Lavinia found 1,775 poems when she died that she considered letters to the World. Winter’s told Emily’s story of her life from her sister’s prospective and surrounded it with twenty-one of her poems hand picked by Winter. The illustrations are vibrant with and old world feel. The drawings are designed in a manner that can appear to the imagination.

Response
I noticed this book draws you in to poetry my giving reference to the life of the author of the poems. It sta
Christina Mathers
Emily Dickinson’s Letters to the World was written and illustrated by Jeanette Winter in 2002. This is a picture book for older readers. The story starts as though Emily’s sister is the author; for example, “My sister Emily was buried today.” It goes on to tell you how she found Emily’s poems and what she wore. Once she finds the poem, the author finishes the story with twenty-one poems written by Emily. This book is very colorful and not one inch is left without a color. It is also very busy, s ...more
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
While it is a nice premise - Emily's sister Lavinia discovers her sister's poems - the book falls a bit flat. The tone feels a bit condescending and dramatic in its attempt to engage young readers, and the narrative stops abruptly, launching into the poems with no commentary. The letters to the world theme is hammered into the reader's
head, mentioned no less than five times if one includes the subtitle.

The poems are printed in a spidery script to distinguish them from the narrative. The font may
Ashley Campbell
This is a inspirational yet sad story from the point of view of Emily Dickinson's sister, who found Emily's poems after her death. The story begins by blatantly explaining that Emily had "died today", which I found a bit morbid for a children's story. However, the further I read into this story, the more I found it to be a tribute to Emily Dickinson and the words she wished to pass on. I enjoyed reading the different poems and felt that I had a better understanding of Emily Dickinson afterwards. ...more
Alexandria Tietz
Oct 13, 2015 Alexandria Tietz rated it really liked it
This book of poems written by Emily Dickinson's was really good. As I read the different poems in this book I noticed that Emily Dickinson's poems mostly rhyme. I enjoyed reading the different poems within this book and will share some of these with friends, family, and students.
Shellys♥ Journal
An interesting perspective on Emily Dickenson's life and poetry. Book starts out with Author's death and then her sister finds her poetry, and lets the poems explain her life.

I didn't find the fact that she started with her death offensive. We are studying a lot of history and it's common knowledge to my kids that people who lived at this time are now dead. But it unlocks the story of her life. Sometimes we don't know much about people and what they do until they are gone.
Emily
Oct 17, 2011 Emily added it
Recommended to Emily by: I found it myself.
Shelves: kids-books
The first words are, "She died." There is an illustration of people carrying a casket, then Emily's sister crying by a tombstone that says Emily Dickinson on it. "My sister died today." Not a great start to a children's book. It starts this way, because Emily's sister goes through Emily's things and finds her poems after her death. The rest of the book is a nice selection of the poems with illustrations.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I have been reading through a number of Jeanette Winter's books recently. She does a nice job in a picture book introducing young readers to famous authors, artists, etc. In this one, she uses Dickinson's poems to tell her story in a way.
Katie
Apr 04, 2008 Katie marked it as to-read
I can't believe I missed one of these Jeannette Winter bios!
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Maria Diaz
Maria Diaz marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Brittany Orolin
Brittany Orolin rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Field Library
Field Library marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Anija
Anija marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Celie Hodges
Celie Hodges marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Lois
Lois added it
Jan 31, 2016
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Adina
Adina rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Nancy Burrage
Nancy Burrage marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Eileen Granfors
Eileen Granfors rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Amy  Korver
Amy Korver rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Catherine Flynn
Catherine Flynn rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Pbj
Pbj marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015