Start by marking “Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World” as Want to Read:
Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World

Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Emily Dickinson was an unknown poet during her lifetime, it was only after she died that her sister published her letters to the world. This is the story of the discovery of her poems, and a spotlight on the ones aimed at children. Illustrations.
Published March 19th 2002 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily Dickinson's Letters to the World

Rachel Tackett
Cynthia
Summary
Emily Dickinson’s sister Lavinia found 1,775 poems when she died that she considered letters to the World. Winter’s told Emily’s story of her life from her sister’s prospective and surrounded it with twenty-one of her poems hand picked by Winter. The illustrations are vibrant with and old world feel. The drawings are designed in a manner that can appear to the imagination.

Response
I noticed this book draws you in to poetry my giving reference to the life of the author of the poems. It sta
Christina Mathers
Emily Dickinson’s Letters to the World was written and illustrated by Jeanette Winter in 2002. This is a picture book for older readers. The story starts as though Emily’s sister is the author; for example, “My sister Emily was buried today.” It goes on to tell you how she found Emily’s poems and what she wore. Once she finds the poem, the author finishes the story with twenty-one poems written by Emily. This book is very colorful and not one inch is left without a color. It is also very busy, s ...more
Beth
While it is a nice premise - Emily's sister Lavinia discovers her sister's poems - the book falls a bit flat. The tone feels a bit condescending and dramatic in its attempt to engage young readers, and the narrative stops abruptly, launching into the poems with no commentary. The letters to the world theme is hammered into the reader's
head, mentioned no less than five times if one includes the subtitle.

The poems are printed in a spidery script to distinguish them from the narrative. The font may
Ashley Campbell
This is a inspirational yet sad story from the point of view of Emily Dickinson's sister, who found Emily's poems after her death. The story begins by blatantly explaining that Emily had "died today", which I found a bit morbid for a children's story. However, the further I read into this story, the more I found it to be a tribute to Emily Dickinson and the words she wished to pass on. I enjoyed reading the different poems and felt that I had a better understanding of Emily Dickinson afterwards. ...more
Shellys♥ Journal
An interesting perspective on Emily Dickenson's life and poetry. Book starts out with Author's death and then her sister finds her poetry, and lets the poems explain her life.

I didn't find the fact that she started with her death offensive. We are studying a lot of history and it's common knowledge to my kids that people who lived at this time are now dead. But it unlocks the story of her life. Sometimes we don't know much about people and what they do until they are gone.
Emily
Oct 17, 2011 Emily added it
Recommended to Emily by: I found it myself.
Shelves: kids-books
The first words are, "She died." There is an illustration of people carrying a casket, then Emily's sister crying by a tombstone that says Emily Dickinson on it. "My sister died today." Not a great start to a children's book. It starts this way, because Emily's sister goes through Emily's things and finds her poems after her death. The rest of the book is a nice selection of the poems with illustrations.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I have been reading through a number of Jeanette Winter's books recently. She does a nice job in a picture book introducing young readers to famous authors, artists, etc. In this one, she uses Dickinson's poems to tell her story in a way.
Katie
Apr 04, 2008 Katie marked it as to-read
I can't believe I missed one of these Jeannette Winter bios!
K
K marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Samra
Samra marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Leslie Marley
Leslie Marley marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Tory Selz
Tory Selz marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Disha Sankhla
Disha Sankhla marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Arhan Sankhla
Arhan Sankhla marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Jeimy
Jeimy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Christina Dawn
Christina Dawn marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Laura McCarthy
Laura McCarthy marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps Follow the Drinking Gourd Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa