Start by marking “Dirty Play” as Want to Read:
Dirty Play

Read Book

Dirty Play (Dirty Shorts)

Dear Author,
It’s easy to be a hero in the game. When we play together, I’m brave and strong and handsome and I slay the dragon. But when we stop playing, I’m back to being regular old me.

Am I brave enough to tell him how I feel? When the game ends, can we still be comrades in arms, or is it all just empty fantasy?

[This’d work for computer or video games, but I’m particular
Published May 16th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Play

Exina
A new guy joins Whit’s role-playing game team. He is Zack and Whit is immediately head over heels for him, but he is too shy to do anything about it.
He looked up at me with those sweet puppy eyes that he could have probably used to get away with murder just by flashing them. “You ready?” he asked quietly. I nodded before I even thought about it, mesmerized by those peepers. Using his eyes like a weapon seemed like a dirty play. Manipulative bastard.

The story is narrated by Whit, and I have to
Vio
Dec 28, 2012 Vio rated it really liked it
Wackiness and fun, Whit had me in stitches, I thought it would be impossible to make me laugh any harder but geez that dinner experience was priceless. Everytime I think of fingers and lips I crack up again, epic laughs. I loved the writing, its a clever and engaging way of drawing one into the story. I am so happy to have discovered this author, his stories are very appealing. Recommended!
Susan65
Jun 07, 2012 Susan65 rated it really liked it
First book ever to throw me back into 80's and remind me of an ex-boyfriend who was addicted to Dungeons and Dragon. I personally never got into it, but he did...just like Whit and his role playing game. Considering role playing games are not for me, I got a little bogged down with the descriptions of the game and characters...even though you need to read it to understand Zach and Whit better.

What I loved about this book was the times it had me laughing out loud. Any book that can make me bust a
Heather C
May 20, 2012 Heather C rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather C by: Virginia
I'm still loving Kyle's short stories. I especially love his geeky MCs. And Whit is just that! Love his internal dialogue and snark. He sure has some dirty thoughts, too. I was worried about all the gamer stuff but it wasn't confusing at all.I could totally read more about Whit and Zack.

It's FREE!
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Nov 15, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, freebies
I really enjoyed this story. It was very well written and laid out. It gave just enough information about the gaming stuff to make me want to play even if I didn't know much about it, but not too much that I was bored. I loved hearing Whit's inner dialog and accounts of how things were going down.

I was really happy when Zach made his move, so to speak. There are a lot of funny lines throughout, and I chuckled out lout more than once.

This was very cute, sweet and funny, and a little sexy to boot
Virginia
Another great short by this author. This free short was funny, quirky and with great banter. The characters jumped off the page.

Loved their geekiness, Zack's willingness to be a female gnome with attitude and Whit's mission internal dialogue.

Great snark and witty dialogue. Excellent bit of free fiction.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Jun 07, 2012 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it really liked it
Shelves: free, m-m
4 stars because it made me laugh, a lot. I also found the main character endearingly charming with his harmlessly psychotic way of thinking. Reader didn’t really get to know the other character. Screw character development when you can just make the love interest generically perfect. But the first person POV worked for me and the MC had enough quirks that I didn’t really care the other guy was just kind of there.

But they played together twice a week for three months and never once talked outside
Mandy*reads obsessively*
This is the fourth story I have read by Kyle Adams and I've liked them all!
Whit is so funny and neurotic and Zach, who couldn't fall for a guy that custom orders THAT for you! LOL
Macky
More fab free fun from Mr Adams! Sooo funny. I've sniggered and snorted all the way through. I fell hook line and sinker for neurotic Whit and his geeky role playing persona and gorgeous sex on a stick Zack who joins the game and from the first time Whit sets eyes on him gets him all of a doodah, wooing him with a hilarious dinner date and a box of ten thousand condoms ( no thats not a typo! ) some of which he's used in ways that you'd never imagine, and they're nothing all to do with sex... ...more
ttg
Apr 01, 2013 ttg rated it really liked it
3.5 stars – Very fun and hilarious short story that has the extra bonus of being free to read online. (And its GR page even has handy e-versions for downloading.)

Nerdy Whit is flummoxed when Hot Zack joins his twice-weekly RPG game, but even though he’s too shy to make a move outside the game, he finds himself getting lost in the action while they play (and he secretly loves it when his warrior can rescue Zack’s foul-mouthed female gnome.) Fortunately for Whit, Zack takes matters into his own ha
Monika
Dec 28, 2012 Monika rated it really liked it
Shelves: g-short-under-50

4.5 Stars

This short had me laughing out loud so many times. OMG! Whit is hilarious, his inner dialogue was brilliantly written this whole story was. He’s so zany, there’s this thing about him not wanting anyone touching his lips with their fingers but “other things” he has no problem with, that he loves. *snicker* Now Zach, oh my, there is something so sweet and almost innocent about him, at the same time I picture him in my mind as some bad ass, not really sure why. The mistake he made when he
Audrey
May 16, 2012 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: man-love
Mission: Read a fun and funny m/m short story about opposites-attract gamers with a seriously geeky (but very likable) first person narrator and the object of his (?)unrequited(?) lust. SUCCESS!

Note: This is a freebie short story from the Goodreads M/M Romance Group's event "Love is Always Write." The story can be found here on the group's discussion board: "Dirty Play" by Kyle Adams.
Em
Apr 01, 2013 Em rated it really liked it
As seems to be the case with all of Kyle's books, there are plenty of laugh out loud moments in this lighthearted little book. (view spoiler) This short is cleverly written and the characters are quirky and endearing and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
SueM
Great story Kyle! I had my own internal dialogue running as you described Cable's fight scene... Cable’s first swing with Rel-Lik was aimed to decapitate the monster closest to him. Swinging with a strong, quick strike, he… missed. *Okay. Need a 19 or 20 to decapitate... Ah, damn, rolled a 1!* For a non-gamer, you did a remarkable job of capturing the fun and chaos of the game. And yeah, you also made me laugh! Thanks!
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
4 stars because I'm a big nerd myself and I have been known to play an RPG game or two. I adore stories that both love and make fun of RPGs. The romance was cute, the ending a bit silly but all in all a nice read. I want a sequel!
Kyle Adams
May 16, 2012 Kyle Adams marked it as wrote-it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: free, m-m, short-story, gay, glbt
I have added this to smashwords for readers that don't like to read on their computers.

Click Here to Get at Smashwords
Tami
Dec 26, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
LOVED this one, cute, funny, and HOT!
LutaWolf
So cute and so fun, I couldn't help but adore this story!
Ashley♥Alexis
Jul 06, 2012 Ashley♥Alexis rated it really liked it
Adorkable.
Julesmarie
Jan 31, 2013 Julesmarie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, free, dritc-liaw
This was adorable! And a few bits were so funny I found myself laughing so hard I had started to worry what the neighbors must be thinking...

The RPG parts were geekily delightful. Whit was a hoot, and being in his head was both uncomfortable and hilarious at times. (view spoiler)

It would have been nice to have gotten to be in Zack's
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
This was so adorable and hilarious. Whit is so endearing in his quirky way of thinking, though I don't think quirky really covers it.

"... you have to be my boyfriend; I’m making you condom art.”

"I thought about offering to pay Zack to see if that would help me relax enough to talk. Mission: Pay Zack was quickly marked ‘Too Risky’ and terminated."

"Since the sounds were coming from under the table, by Zack’s crotch, and I was grunting stuff like, “dirty cocksucker, you’ll be lucky if I don’t punc
Sandra
[image error]

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Love Is Always Write: Volume Three.

I freakin' LOVE Kyle Adams's dweeb erotica! Whit was adorable and funny and perfect, and the sweet surprises we learned about Zack at the end were great. More please!

Anyone who liked this should def check out Dirty Zero for FREE at Smashwords!
Cindi
Any story that can make me giggle is a good story and this one definitely had me giggling.

Whit meets Zack who is a new member of his role-playing game. Whit is shy. Zack is not. Whit is unable to even speak to Zack unless it is part of the game and then it's his character doing the talking. What is so funny about this story is Whit's inner dialogue. I found myself laughing out loud many times while Whit was trying to come up with something witty to say to Zack without looking stupid.

This totally
Adara
May 16, 2012 Adara rated it liked it
I found this story quite amusing. The table-top gaming aspects are not technically detailed, so it reads smoothly through those sections. Whit is the quintessential shy geek who can act through his character but not so easily IRL. He's very likeable. (And the fry thing totally makes me cringe! For me, it's cheese.) I think a little more lead-up between the guys would have been nice, but it's still a fun read.
Gyn
Jun 02, 2013 Gyn rated it really liked it
Perfect for when you're in the mood for funny, witty, muscley and sexy! This short story has your usuals: 2 cute guys, flirtatious innuendos, banter and snark. But I love its more unique aspects. There's professional wrestling, dancing pecs and a saltwater pool make out session!

I hope Kyle some day decides to continue their story! I can just picture Jason pulling down Trent's skimpy wrestling trunks...
Wendy Ann
I’ve never participated in role play gaming before, but I could imagine it being very much as described. The fact that both of the main characters were a little bit quirky was adorable and fitting. I loved Whit’s inner dialogue and “missions” and Zack maybe could have been a Boy Scout with all his preparedness - LOL;) This was a great story – thank you so much!!
Vivian
Jul 26, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
Cute, humorous and sweet romance between the consumate RPG geek and the newbie, the super hot newb.

Favorite quote:
Right to the point, but I’d been hard for hours and maintaining an erection that long messes with a man’s blood circulation to other areas, like the filter for his mouth.
Miriki
I'm not really into RPG so I put off reading this, but oh my, was I so wrong. I thought it'd be dry but instead it's so cute! The character's so endearing, all his witty comments made me laugh out loud. I'd like to know more plz. <3
Nic
Mar 04, 2013 Nic rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, free, dritc-liaw
From Love is Always Write - Volume 3
Really cute short story. Lots of humour as the shy Whit lusts after Zach, the new guy who has joined their role playing game. Whit excels at playing his imaginary character but stumbles when it comes to real life.
Pete W
May 18, 2012 Pete W rated it really liked it
A cute story of Whit a closet snark who was in a D&D type RPG table top group when a hunky Zack join his group.

I must say I enjoy Whit's internal snark very much :) He maybe outwardly shy but his internal dialogue wasn't.
Kyle Adams - Q&A : Dirty Play a LIAW story 9 12 Apr 29, 2013 03:47PM
  • Safe
  • Screwing the System - online short
  • For Those Who Wait
  • West, Haven
Kyle Adams started out dabbling with writing gay romance stories for fun. He writes what makes him laugh and hopes anyone who reads his work laughs with him. Kyle had three books nominated in the 2013 Goodreads.com M/M Romance Group readers choice awards and two books nominated in 2012 for the same event. His free story, Dirty Cop won Best Short Story in 2013.

Kyle has a hard time picking a favorit
More about Kyle Adams...

Dirty Shorts (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dirty Shorts Volume One
  • Dirty Fighters
  • Dirty Zero (Zero to Hero, #1)
  • Dirty Hero (Zero to Hero, #2)
  • Dirty Drag (Dirty Drag #1)
  • Dirty Drag 2: The Night Drags On
  • Dirty Drag 3: Beyond The Drag
  • A Dirty Drag Collection
  • Dirty Boys
  • Dirty Cop

“hornier than a bunny on ecstasy” 13 likes
“I was convinced that there was at least a seventy-three percent chance he was gay. I bumped it up from sixty-eight after our third game. Zack showed up wearing a light pink shirt that was tighter than usual.” 11 likes