Start by marking “In Dreams” as Want to Read:
In Dreams

In Dreams (Love is Always Write)

Dear Author,
For three sleepless days, the lyrics have been pounding around in my head. Every time I close my eyes, this is the face that I see. The music is pouring from me, dragging me in its wake and I can almost believe he is real, his haunted eyes singing to me.

This story was written as a part of the M/M Romance Group's "Love is Always Write" event. Group members were
Published May 22nd 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about In Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Dreams

Exina
A mysterious fantasy story about an elf living in the human world, but not knowing how he got there and who he is. In his dreams a song and a beautiful man is calling out to him. As his memories and abilities come back in fragments, we slowly learn what happened to him.
Faster and faster the incomprehensible sounds escape, more chant now than melody. A tightness forms in my chest, squeezing my heart and stealing my breath.
Words cannot describe what happened next, the tingling of heat and cold v
A Girl Has No Name
In Dreams is a beautiful short about the power of dreams, telling us about an elf king looking for his lover, who got lost in the human world.

Due to the shortness of the story, there wasn't much world building in itself. However, the atmosphere was a bit dark and very mysterious, which really got me hooked. The writing style was very interessting and super catchy!

It's amazing how Eden Winters managed to get so many feelings across in so few pages! In Dreams reads itself like poetry! 4 stars!
Nina
This is a story told in the style of a typical fairytale - iron-fearing elves with enchanting voices, an elf king looking for his lover, a traitor, an inn where most of the story is set.
I'm not sure I would enjoy a novella or a novel set in the same world, because it would be too much sugar to take; despite the premise, you always know how it's going to end and there is not much angst or suspense. I suppose this could be the appeal of this story for those who are looking for something dreamy and
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
I liked this one a lot, a bit dark and mysterious, but as usual...I wanted more! :)
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
This story has such a beautiful feel to it. It feels very dreamy and full of fantasy. A story about a faerie who has amnesia and his connection with the lover who's searching for him. Lovely, lovely story.
Serena Yates
Oct 09, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
This short story almost reads like poetry. Slowly developing, with a deep sense of mystery, it's about a young man who cannot remember where he comes from, or even his name. His nightly dreams of a lover haunt him, and while he slowly remembers more each morning, he also gets weaker every day. The focus of the story is on him figuring out a way to help himself, since none of those around him are ready to do so.

Living without an identity is hard. Eden has shown us a little bit of what it may be l
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
First person present tense

Okay short story. It's pretty vague on the details and I always felt like I was being kept at a distance. I'm not really sure what I just read.

Didn't like all the dream sex and stuff and half the time I had no idea what was going on.

It's a free short but not one of my favorites for sure. 2.5 stars to maybe 3.5 stars. It wast bad per se it just seemed to be lacking details and the development could have been smoother IMO
Julesmarie
Jun 29, 2012 Julesmarie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, free, dritc-liaw
I loved the fantasy elements in this, and wish it were longer so I could see more and have things explained a little more clearly. I'm very impressed with the vivid and haunting world and atmosphere Ms. Winters was able to create in such a short story.

I'm not usually a fan of amnesia stories, either, but this one totally worked for me. Maybe because of the fantasy setting? Whatever the reason, it was beautifully done.

The only thing I didn't like was that the ending felt rushed. From when Alasta
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Love Is Always Write: Volume Five.

This was a really interesting take on the picture and prompt that were given. A magical world that is slowly revealed to us. I only wish we got a little more at the end to get to see Loren and Alastair reunited a little longer.
Jess Candela
May 27, 2012 Jess Candela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2012
Oh wow! I'm not usually a fan of short stories but this one grabbed me by the throat. I had goosebumps for almost the whole story and my breath caught in my throat several times. It felt much longer than it was (in the best way! :) and I swear I was Loren for the duration. What a perfect response to that prompt and photo! The story felt complete as it was, but I'd love to spend more time in that world and get to know them better.
Cindi
Jul 07, 2012 Cindi rated it really liked it
I totally loved this. This is not the type of story (not even close) that I would normally read. I probably would have skipped this one all together had it not been written by an author whose other work I have enjoyed. Sure it is a short story but there was just enough build up for it to work. I hope these guys are revisited someday soon (she left it open). I would love to see where they go from here.

A very enjoyable read.... as always by this author.

Victoria
Apr 18, 2015 Victoria rated it really liked it
I really liked this story and the build up to the MC remembering who he is. I would definitely enjoy reading more of this world. Thank you Eden Winters, for donating your time and talent.
Monika
Jun 25, 2012 Monika rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

LOVED this one.... but like all shorts it was over way too soon!
Bettye Kanady
Nov 26, 2012 Bettye Kanady rated it liked it
Recommended to Bettye by: Love is Always Write List
This is the story of Alastair and Loren; two elves separated by jealousy. The story begins with a young man, who calls himself deformed, dreaming of a beautiful man covered in cloth with dark eyes singing to him. He names him Alastair and wakes with fatigue. Loren is able to enhance production from the animals in the barn he stays in by singing to them; he has no recollection of who he is nor why he is where he is. As he continues to dream of Alastair, he is finally able to remember little ...more
Wendy Ann
May 27, 2012 Wendy Ann rated it really liked it
I love the fantasy realm and this one had both magical and mysterious qualities to it. It was kind of that feeling of being in a fog – things are somewhat familiar but not really. Only when the sun finally begins to burn bright does it make the fog lift. Loren started in that foggy place and as he focused more and more on Alastair, everything began to clear up and right itself. I didn’t expect the story to go in this direction based on the picture prompt, but very glad it did! Wonderful!!!
Cole Riann
One of the LiAW stories reviewed at The Armchair Reader.

A fascinating and slowly unfolding story about an amnesiac faerie prince who sings charms. The tone of this very short story was charged with a sort of melancholy and stirring hope. In such a short time, Eden pulled off the amnesia storyline by making it less about mystery and more about the remaining thread of soul connection between lovers.
Penumbra
I really liked this magical elven story about Loren, an amnesiac elf bard and consort, and his singing that was a lifeline to his lover, Alastair the King of the Elves.

The author did a good job of conveying Loren's melancholy and longing for things that he couldn't really remember, and his longing for the mysterious man in his dreams.
Susan
Jun 11, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
This was such a beautiful story filled with magic and romance. I loved how the reader was just as much in the dark as Loren was regarding his own situation and who his dream lover was. The story wonderfully captures all the elements of a fairytale in just a few short pages.
Bookbee
This short story has the feel of a dream...dark and lonely...elusive, with information coming in snippets, only as required. Although it is perfect as is, my greedy soul wants more!
Sadonna
May 31, 2012 Sadonna rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, free, fantasy, liaw
What a delightful story! This short is really refreshing and delightful. Loved that the mystery is slow to emerge in this tale of true love that will not be thwarted. Lovely as usual Ms. Winters!
Lily
Really enjoyed this story.
Erica
Sep 27, 2015 Erica rated it really liked it
What a great story! It packed quite a punch for such a short tale, and I enjoyed every brief moment.
Nov 11, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
I really liked this. It was written really well. I liked the plot. My only gripe is that it could have been so much better if it had been a lot longer. I wanted more of the 2 main characters.
blub
Apr 08, 2013 blub rated it really liked it
A great story that was really easy to like. My only complaint was that it was too short. I would have loved for it to have been longer.
Katy Beth Mckee
A strange but sweet tale of love being strong enough to break through any barriers that would try to separate true love.
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Cherita
Cherita rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2012
  • Gray's Fallen
  • Just Be
  • Life in Chaos
  • In My Sights
  • Half-Baked Promises (Castor Springs, #1)
You will know Eden Winters by her distinctive white plumage and exuberant cry of “Hey, y’all!” in a Southern US drawl so thick it renders even the simplest of words unrecognizable. Watch out, she hugs!

Driven by insatiable curiosity, she possibly holds the world’s record for curriculum changes to the point that she’s never quite earned a degree but is a force to be reckoned with at Trivial Pursuit.
More about Eden Winters...

Love is Always Write (1 - 10 of 147 books)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Magick's Cucumber
  • For Those Who Wait
  • Disciplinary Action
  • Soulmates
  • With This Ring
  • Predators
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Time Enough