Ryan's Return

Ryan's Return

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  3,315 ratings  ·  278 reviews
Famous photojournalist Ryan Hunter has come back to a family torn apart by mistrust and resentment - to the father who disowned him, to the brother who betrayed him, to the little boy who shares his features. Ryan, the charismatic "bad boy" son, has returned - stirring up past conflicts like a whirlwind...and throwing Kara Delaney's fragile, passionate heart into turmoil.
Published October 28th 1996 by HarperColllins Publishers

Krystal
Beautiful... Absolutely beautiful.
The topics covered in the story reminds you the true meaning of life and family. Every one makes mistakes and change comes for better or worse.

"Everything changes, but in a lot of ways it stays the same."

".... Do you believe in ghosts?...I believe in love, and I think it lives on forever"

I couldn't put this book down. The characters where brought to life as the pages turned. Ryan, oh Ryan.. What he went through along with his brother, Andrew, his father Jonas...more
Toya
I Got this for free on Amazon (kindle)!!! :o
And I loved it!
Plenty heated romance, naughty scandal,secrets,and tragedy even a ghost. Yep I said Ghost... Former small town bad boy turned world famous photographer Ryan Hunter has been invited back to the last place he ever thought he'd return to. Home.
Still he is curious to see if his family still hate him, if his town is still the same and possibly if he can stir up a little trouble. But his real intent he isn't even aware of. He really wants hi...more
Lisa
I am giving all of Freethy's books four stars because they kept me intrigued enough to keep reading. She is very formulaic...the woman all have red hair, for example, the man always has some silly reason why he is never going to love again (no way, no how) but she is also a good story teller and manages to draw you in despite the fact you know EXACTLY what is going to happen, in a happily ever after kind of way!
Dorretta Hunter
I read this on my Kindle Fire. It's my first Barbara Freethy book. I did get a sample of The Sweetest Thing to read. I enjoyed Freethy writing. It's the typical romance writing, however with a twist of an angel siting of sorts in Ryan's Return. If you enjoy romance books, you'll enjoy these books.
Valerie
When I started this book I thought, uh oh this is not starting well, but I remembered the good rule, you must read at least 100 pages before you put it down. It didn't take long and I was hooked. Very interesting story with a little mystery. Really easy fun read.
Dana Sahm
I don't usually read romance novels, but picked this one up free on Amazon for Kindle. Although the story line wasn't very believable, the emotions of love, loss and family were. It was a enjoyable, light and quick weekend read.
Gemma
A kindle free book. Really enjoyed reading it. About a small town with secrets, and everyone trying not to be like their parents before them. But some secrets aren't what they seem,
Jennifer Scherzinger
Such a delightful surprise!!! I couldn't stop reading......family isn't defined by genes, DNA, blood....rather by the love you have for another. What a wonderful read!!
Robin
Got this book for $2.99 from nookbooks. Entertaining.
♥Jamie
Ryan's Return was a great addition to my Barbara Freethy collection. Her writing always draws me in, and I just fall into the story with the characters seamlessly. Ryan's Return is a standalone novel about family, forgiveness, and love.

Summary:
Ryan Hunter hasn't been home in twelve years. He's traveled the world, near and far, but the one place he should always feel safe and secure, wanted, is the place he despises most. Having left Serenity Springs an angry, know-it-all boy, the man is about to...more
Amy A
I got this Kindle book when it was offered for free for a period of time. I thought that it was a quick, cute read. There was nothing really new about it. The "black-sheep" son returns a successful photographer to the home town he abandoned after twelve years. To find the animosity his family felt when he left is still brewing.

This book was a little irritating in the fact that it was never really stated why everyone was so angry at Ryan for leaving. At least I didn't read it. Maybe I skipped ov...more
Kathy Schultz
Ryan Hunter, an accomplished and famous photojournalist,returns to his small home town in CA at the invitation of Kara Delaney, president of the Chamber of Commerce. She and her daughter Angel have recently come back after Kara's divorce. She has redecorated her aunt's home by the river and made it into an inn. In an effort to generate some business for the small community, she has invited Hunter to speak and be honored at the town's centennial celebration.

However, there are many in Serenity Spr...more
Hannah Fielding
I really love the description and personification of the river in this book:

‘She’s just like a woman… She gives life, brings peace, and nurtures the land. And when she is angry, all hell breaks loose.’

‘I haven’t seen her this fast in years. She’s roaring with passion.’
Every character in this story has been affected by the river in some way; consequently, some love it, some loathe it. Either way, the river holds the key to the many mysteries of the people, past and present, in this small town.

Thi...more
M.G. Camacho
Like any small town, Serenity Springs is shall we say, on the brink of progress or stagnation and it could go either way depending on its residents. Of course, one group embraces progress in order to rebuild their town and to boost local businesses. And there are those who firmly believe that keeping the town as small as it is would help save the town from becoming a ghost town in the near future. Kara Delaney believes that the two opposing groups can compromise if only they would let go of what...more
Casey Rock
Ryan's Return is about a young, famous, photographer that left his simple, rural town to persue his dreams depsite it costing him his family. Ryan's mother had left him and his father and brother when he was young. Ever since, Ryan and his father have been at odds. Once Ryan left for his career, his father and brother told him he was never welcome to return.

Now that Ryan is famous and his hometown is coming upon the Centennial Celebration, the head of the town council invites Ryan back as the g...more
Hannah
Barbara Freethy's writing style is beautifully smooth and accomplished with no jarring turns of phrase or amateurish wording. This made reading Ryan's Return so much easier. The book itself was an enjoyable read with fully-developed characters and multiple love stories going on all at once, and surprisingly I cared about each and every one of them, which shows how Freethy paid as much attention to the secondary characters as to the primary ones. The actual story of the black sheep of the family...more
Maria Michaels
This was my second Barbara Freethy book, and I didn't like it as much as the first. I also grabbed it when it was a free ebook, and I must say I was really surprised by all the "head hopping" that occurred as the author is a very polished and talented writer.

At times in the middle of a scene the point of view changed from the heroine to the hero. Most readers might not even notice this so-called head hopping but for me it was jarring.

As one other reviewer mentioned, I loved the fact that the r...more
Sian
This book was light and easy to read. It is essentially a romance with a focus on challenging family dynamics and overcoming tragedy.

There is a great deal of sentiment throughout the novel and it has a largely predictable plot. It also has a mystical element. I was reminded of NIcholas Sparks novel Safe Haven.

The characters are well developed and the romance is sweet and steamy. It's good to read a story in which the main female character is intelligent, determine, capable and not a maiden in d...more
Rita Strain
Excellent

Excellent

Have read many of Barbara Freethy's books. This is right up there with the top ones. Enjoyed every minute of it..
Aimee
I really enjoyed this story, although the beginning was a little slow. It took me a while to get into it, because it sounded so familiar to begin with: a young man leaves his small town, goes to the big city and finds success (but not true happiness), then reluctantly returns home and finds everything he ever wanted was right there. However, Barbara Freethy has taken a common beginning and added her own twist to the story. Yes, the ending is quite predictable, but there are a lot of unexpected e...more
Mandy
I downloaded this book for free on my Kindle and was a little reluctant because I have been so disappointed with my last few free books,but I ended up really pleased with it. I loved the characters, not just the main characters, but also the secondary characters. They all grew so much, and came into themselves. The discovery of themselves and of small town secrets, made the characters so real. I have to say though, that I was thoroughly disappointed when at seventy percent through the book two e...more
Lynn Smith
Wonderful book by Barbara Freethy, I love all her books. Ryan and Kyra were a great couple in the book with a ghost thrown in to add a twist to the story.
Tess
Jan 26, 2012 Tess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-book
Ryan's home coming unlocks many unanswered family secrets. When the truth finally comes out, this ends many years of bickering and hatred. Contrary to what others may say, the ghost spirit and the river (heart of Serenity Springs) played an essential role in uncovering the disappearance of Ryan's mom.

I enjoyed this book because of its light reading which had a mix of romance and mystery. I did not expect the book to climax as it did towards the end, though predictable at some point there was tha...more
Michelle
A very light and easy read. I was pleasantly surprised since it was a free e book and the other free ebooks I have read have not been great and in great need of an editor!

I was a little annoyed with Ryan and jonas's relationship, father and son. They had the same argument every time they talked and Ryan just couldn't keep his mouth shut! However, after i have worked in family therapy, the author captured a dysfunctional family perfectly. Both talked but neither listened, very typical. I do wish...more
Rose
I loved this book ... I have read it multiply times and love it so much... It was heart warming and very good
Ginger
Apr 01, 2014 Ginger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy stories about small towns
This is the first book I've read by this author. I really enjoyed it because it contained a little bit of everything: family feuds (brother against brother, father against son, etc), family secrets, small town mysteries and romance. As if all that weren't enough, the rising river is threatening to wipe out most, if not all, of the town. As the river rises, the feuds intensify and no one knows what the outcome is going to be. Ryan's Return has the characters every reader wants: those you love to...more
Nicole
Loved this book until the very weird ending. Still a fun read but not what I was expecting!
Candace
Very good book. Loved this story! Such rich characters and interesting back story.
Lora
Feb 04, 2012 Lora rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lora by: Aly
In some ways Ryan’s Return is a typical story of the prodigal son; I found a lot more than that surface story, however: choice, change, home, family, inaccurate assumptions, forgiveness, being true to one’s self. I especially enjoyed the author’s exploration of the complexity of all sorts of relationships. And, Ryan, the main squeeze, is a photographer; I felt right at home with his perspective.

{Consider yourself forewarned: there are a few sexual encounters. I just don’t want to offend anyone...more
Jill
Sentimental and predictable, I can't believe I actually finished this over wrought novel.
  • When the Heart Falls
  • Dodge the Bullet
  • Embers of Hope (Second Gift #1)
  • Wild Angel
  • Unto These Hills
  • Heartfire
  • Waiting on Hope
  • The Way They Were (That Second Chance, 2)
  • The Merry-Go-Round
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • Hawks Mountain
  • Whispers from the Ashes
  • Sweet Water
  • Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise (Bright's Pond #2)
  • Three Moons Over Sedona
  • True Colours
  • A Little Bit of Déjà Vu (Return to Redemption, #1)
  • Seems Like Old Times
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara has since published 35 nov...more
More about Barbara Freethy...
Just the Way You Are Don't Say A Word All She Ever Wanted Summer Secrets Silent Run (Silent, #1)