West, Haven (Love is Always Write)

West, Haven (Love is Always Write)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  27 reviews
We have been best friends forever. During college we grew apart; he dated women, I dated men. Now, we have both moved back to our hometown and decided to share an apartment together until our careers take off. Can he ever feel about me the way I feel about him?

Photo Description: Two dark-haired young men in jeans and t-shirts lie on a couch. One is reading while the other...more
free online fiction, 42 pages
Published May 25th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
This started out as a five star read.

Then it lost a star for the poor flash backs. I dislike flash backs in general but this one had a lot of them, especially for a short story. And they weren't well marked and sometimes it was hard to tell when it was a flashback and when it wasn't

Then it moved down to just a three star story for me after they move in and it's one sexual conquest after another and I didn't like it at all. It's a short story I don't need to know about one guy giving his number...more
Susan65-Coug
3.5 Stars

This started out great and ended great but the middle scared me for a bit. Really well written and loved the couch scene and when West said (view spoiler) I was like WOW...that will get your attention
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Best friends to lovers story!
Not really anything new, but a sweet and sentimental version of the theme.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Love Is Always Write: Volume Ten.

2.5 stars This was a sweet little short, but unfortunately I just wasn't feeling as much of a connection between Riley and West as I wanted to. Initially the flashbacks were a little hard to keep track of, and could have been worked a little more smoothly into the story. Once the two guys moved in together I was liking it, but then it progressed very suddenly.

Maybe because of the length also, I felt like there needed t...more
Arthur
Childhood-friends-turned-lovers story. Arts. Drawings. Music. Violin. Shall I continue?

West was a sketch artist, and Riley was a musician. They were best friends since they were kids. Riley defended West from bullies, West provided safe haven for Riley whose father thought he was a punching bag. West was gay and dating many boys, Riley was straight and dating many girls. West had harbored a feeling for Riley ever since he remembered. Riley, well, he didn't seem to have a clue about his best frie...more
Victoria
I really enjoyed this story. Loved West and Riley :) Thank you Jenna Jones, for donating your time and talent.
Ami

West and Riley were best friends all through school. West liked men and Riley liked women. They did have one short kiss in college instigated by West, but Riley pushed him (physically) softly after that kiss, and then they kind of drifted apart. Now, they meet again after several years, and West (looking for a roommate) impulsively offers Riley to share his apartment, since they used to be best friends anyway ...

...

It's the best-friend-to-lovers theme that is definitely one of the most...more
Bookbee
A beautifully written story about a childhood friendship that eventually blossoms into more. But getting there isn't easy.

The writing, for me, was almost lyrical...soulful. Lovely!

My favourite passage is this- West, describing a safe place from the bullies chasing him:

"His favorite place wasn't far out of his way. It was a little red brick church, St. Francis of something. West liked it because the statue in front was of a man with a fawn in his arms, a wolf at his feet and a gentle look on his...more
Bettye Kanady
Nov 15, 2012 Bettye Kanady rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bettye by: Love is Always Write List
The story is very sweet. I liked the names West and Riley; and both their names ended in C so it was like they were already a couple! (West Cunningham, Riley Cooper) I was not sure how I liked Riley in the beginning of the book. After all, while he remarked on West's drawing, that seemed to be the end of everything, and poor West was still getting beat down everyday. Once we were able to see Riley and West with Father Jackson, I was able to understand why Riley was not really socializing with We...more
Katy Beth Mckee
A very sweet story of childhood friends reconnection and finding their way to love.
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
Awww, *sigh*, this was a wonderful story about friends reunited who become lovers! There was a bit of an edge to this story because it dealt with bullying and abuse, but I loved the notion that each guy was a bit of a sanctuary for the other during those tough times. Incredibly romantic and sweet – loved it!!!
Helen Peter
Wonderful the way Riley turned out after enduring an abusive childhood and the way West became his haven. Sweet the way the both of them finally 'found' each other. This could turned into a full length novel that can and will be sweet and touching.
Cindi
This is an amazing friends to lovers story. Two best friends (one gay, one straight) who reconnect after a few years without contact. The story flowed well and the characters were perfect. I will definitely be looking for more by this author.
Jess
The changing timelines really jolted me from the story. I couldnt help coming up with so many different stories that could have fitted the photo. I guess I didnt really feel connected to the relationship that formed at the end.
Jess Candela
I loved the characters, but would have loved them even more if they'd perhaps talked to each other a little bit more at a couple of critical junctures. Then again, they were young men, so I suppose it's also fairly realistic.
mw138
This was an extremely heartwarming and romantic story about two best friends who lost touch and eventually reconnect only to discover their immense love and adoration for one another.

A very enjoyable read.
garnetyuna
...Whatever. =__=
Bubbles has said exactly what I think of this free short story.
This was really sweet, but the writing was kind of a play by play instead of a nicely flowing story. I liked it though.
L-D
Very sweet short story. I always enjoy the childhood friends-to-lovers theme and this was nicely done. Very little angst.
Lauren
This was a really cute story. It matched the picture and the prompt perfectly. Great work, Jenna!
Pete W
A really sweet and romantic story.
Linda-Grace
sweet and charming story.
Dcf260
Sweet, very sweet.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Kiss and Makeup (Love is Always Write)
  • Call Me Burt (Love is Always Write)
  • Take a Breath (Love is Always Write)
  • Heartstrings
  • Safe (Love is Always Write)
  • A Competitive Edge
  • Incongruent Angel (Love is Always Write)
  • Heart of Slate (Love is Always Write)
  • Telling Jase (Love is Always Write)
  • Tumbleweed (Love is Always Write)
  • A Hard Dazed Knight (Love is Always Write)
  • Whistle Blowing
  • Stay With Me (Love is Always Write)
  • In Over His Head
  • Just Be
  • Show Me Yours
  • Falling Faces
  • Screwing the System - online short
Jenna Jones has been making up stories for as long as she can remember, and writing them down for not quite that long. She loves writing about people in love.

(To distinguish between me and Regency-author Jenna Jones, when adding my books please put two spaces between Jenna and Jones: Jenna^^Jones.)
More about Jenna Jones...
Chiaroscuro (City by the Bay, #1) Something Beautiful (City by the Bay, #2) Corazón The Best Man: The Four of Cups Animal Crackers (Apples & Gin, #2)