Of Honor and Love (Love is Always Write)

Of Honor and Love (Love is Always Write)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  40 reviews
I think this man is much more, or much less, than he seems. Who is he really, and who or what is he pretending to be? What sort of trouble will his secrets cause him? I'd be grateful if you could answer these questions for me.

Photo Description: With a black sky dotted in luminescent stars framing him, a beautiful young man stares into the darkness, his face concentrated, a...more
Published May 24th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Of Honor and Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Honor and Love

Anna  Matsuyama
1867, a young English man Jonathon Addison has been freed from prison where he awaited his death sentence in exchange he had agreed to gamble his life in order to get close and kill Lord Kazuhiro Takezaki...

I was totally immersed in this story. It was well written and you could notice that author has done some research before starting to type. It was important to me that when Jonathon and Kazuhiro-san saw each other for the first time and felt mutual attraction, I did't want to roll my eyes. It...more
Trisha Harrington
Not what I was expecting, but in a good way. A really good way. I'm not the biggest fan of Historical stories, I'll freely admit that, but I do kind of like Samurai stories and I happen to love the author, so I said I would give this one a go.

The story was cool and I had a nice time reading it. Jonathan and Kazuhiro made a nice couple. There was some jealousy thrown in which did make me smile. And the story had a nice happy ending. Definitely a story I would read again.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I just don't like historicals
Furio
If all one is looking for is a sweet period romance one will like this little one and will only complain about its being too short.

I will also begin by complaining about its being too short, but problems go a little further than that.

The clash between Japanese and Western culture has been done before but it remains a fascinating topic. Ms Frost has clearly done some research and even catches a couple of enchanting snapshots (Jonathon in the garden, the bathing) but her story is simply too hurrie...more
vLadimiR

I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

There's just something so satisfying about reading a cold and stoic character gradually show their sensitive side as the story progresses.

The tender moments between Jonathon and Kazuhiro were, IMO, more erotic than the actual deed.

Quite an enjoyable story.

Alex Akira
Set in Japan of 1867, I really enjoyed this potent "blindsided by love" tale of a would-be-assassin and a feudal samurai lord. Although the book is not very long, I found it perfectly balanced, granting me enough descriptive prose of the exotic countryside setting to feel as through I was indeed in ancient Japan. The chemistry between the two leads is swift and unapologetic and the sex is sensual, tender and hot.

Beautifully scripted, S.J. Frost gives us a villain reminiscent of carpetbaggers of...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
I’ve always been very intrigued with the Japanese culture and this story brought some key elements of it to light for me. I loved the blend of west meets east and the trust that was almost instantaneous between these guys despite the circumstances that brought them together. If the Samurai warriors stand for honor, then this story did an excellent job of representing that feeling. Loved it!
Sadonna
This was really beautiful. Thanks so much for writing it. I'm not that familiar with Japanese history and culture and this was very informative as well as romantic and engaging! All the best elements of a story with two interesting and intense main characters. I do hope that you revisit them sometime in the future as I'm sure the rest of their story will be just as fascinating.
Victoria
4.5 - I really liked this a lot. Loved the setting and the MC's. Thank you S.J. Frost, for donating your time and talent.
Marina Zala
woww. i will give rating 3.5 of 5 stars for this m/m story! in 1836, a young man named Jonathon Addison being delievered to have negotiation with lord Kazuhiro Takezaki about buying gun to Mr. Barrett. If Jonathon fails, he should murder Lord Takezaki with death poison in exhange to his freedom to go to the port.

I'm really amused with the japanese historical, background and also the author is describes very well about samurai and what happen in that era. i'm also fond of the relationships betwe...more
Isabella
Wow SJ, amazing story!! Ooo, and the cover, gorgeous!!!
Caroline Åsgård
Not your typical gay novel, being set in Japan in the 1800's. Jonathon Addison is sent to kill Lord Kazuhiro Takezaki. The young men are fascinated by each other and their cultures, and Jonathon shows a lot of respect and interest in Kazuhiro and being polite in this foreign country.
Their attraction towards each other is quickly recognizes, and make love - each showing the other something new that they both loved. As the story progresses, they also develop feelings for each other, and Jonathon e...more
Megan
All of the hearts ♥
Bettye Kanady
Nov 30, 2012 Bettye Kanady rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bettye by: Love is Always Write List
I liked this story. It takes place after the Civil War in America, but what makes it stand out is that the location is somewhere far more exotic. It takes place in Japan, in 1867. The story follows a man named Jonathon Addison on a journey to Japan to meet with Takezaki Kazuhiro (written last name first as done in Japan), a "lord and samurai set to buy arms" from a Mr. Barrett. Barrett is a profiteer that hired Jonathon to be his go between and wants Addison to complete a "special mission" in or...more
Sophia
I love reading historical romance and I was thrilled to discover that this one was set in 19th century Japan. Historical romances set in Asia are less common than Europe or America and I love it when I find one. The story blurb also sounded really intriguing too.

The American hero, Jonathon, is caught between a rock and a hard place when he makes a deal with the devil for his life and freedom. He must go to a samurai warlord in Japan, gain his trust and then assassinate him and the shady arms de...more
Elaine
But through all the good and sensual things that I have read, I clearly am still not a fan of erotica. Better than 50 Shades of Gray but still not something I totally enjoyed.
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Historical....*UGH* but I knew that going in and I tried really hard to look past that. I needed this book for a couple challenges..selling point 1. Great Author 2. Short 3. Free!

I wish I can say that I liked it but I really didn't. I had rating books that I know before hand aren't my cuppa because I feel awful throwing off the overall numbers. I did give this one a right down the middle 3 stars because even tho I didn't like the book per se....the concept was good & the writing was great.

Anne Freya
JF
Oct 28, 2013 JF rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Japanese culture.
This is absolutely one of the best books I've read. I really enjoyed every page of it. Is a PASSIONATE story of love between a young american and a leader of a samurai clan. The story takes place on Japan, during the 1800's. Their unique story proves that no words in any language are needed when two people love each other. When love is real, differences in culture and status do not exist.
Helen Peter
I watched a movie many years ago (almost 18 years ago) called Shogun that touched me deeply. I do not remember the full contents of the movie but the feelings and emotion inspired by the movie was very profound. The reading of this story brought those feeling back, maybe it is the similar background, but it is definitely a well written story that touched my heart.
Tamela
I soooo love historical romances. And it was a wonderful change to read of the Japanese time when they were first opening to allow foreigners to trade within their country. The strife and civil war were terrible... swords against guns, but the samurai fought for what they believed.

A great story with wonderful flavor. Highly recommended.
MountainKat
Nice story, but like most shorts it left me wanting more. There seemed to be a lot of history, which could be true or just made up as this is not within my knowledge or experience. At the same time though, it seemed full of modern attitudes. Still, it was nicely written with likable characters.
Antonella
2,5

For sure the author put some research in the book and writes decently. Still: insta love is not very believable when the MCs belong to two cultures which then were even more different than now; the plot is foreseeable; the characters all good/all evil.
Pamela Craft Jenewein
Smashwords freebie

I adored this skillfully written story, from the very first word. Its Japanese theme and historical samurai premise was compelling, enchanting. Kazuhiro and Jonathan were sturdy, masculine and authentic.
Angela
An enjoyable m/m romance with a real story and plot. The characters interact well with each other in this tender love story. And the locale played a huge part in driving the plot forward.
Katy Beth Mckee
A wonderful historical in a different setting. Jonathan is on a mission of destruction and self-preservation but it all gets turned around when he actually meets Kazuhiro.
garnetyuna
3,5 stars.
I love Japan and (almost) everything that is Japanese, so I have started to read this story for that reason.
It's a nice story, I liked it. :D
Miriki
I don't particularly like to read story written about Eastern country buy Western author, but this one was good. The head jumping POV was distracting though.
Romance Readers R...: March PIFM Buddy Read- Of Honor and Love 3 17 Mar 07, 2013 06:23PM
  • In Dreams (Love is Always Write)
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Lead Us Not (Love is Always Write)
  • Heartstrings
  • A Competitive Edge
  • Like So Much Hot Air (Love is Always Write)
  • With This Ring (Love is Always Write)
  • Laoch Rudadh (Red Warrior)
  • Delicious Sinn (Love is Always Write)
  • Exception
  • Close Encounters
  • Kiss and Makeup (Love is Always Write)
  • Tumbleweed (Love is Always Write)
  • In All Your Ways (Love is Always Write)
  • In Over His Head
  • The Luxury of Vengeance (Love is Always Write)
  • Take a Breath (Love is Always Write)
  • This Little Piggy Went to Jersey
S.J. Frost resides in Ohio with her husband and son, as well as some very special horses, dogs, and cats. Her short stories have been featured in various erotic and romance anthologies, and her gay erotic romance novels are published through MLR Press.
More about S.J. Frost...
Conquest (Conquest, #1) No Fear (Conquest, #2) Natural Instincts (Instincts, #1) Black Heart Down (Conquest, #5) Keys to Love (Conquest, #3)