Over in the Meadow

Over in the Meadow

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A well-loved song is the basis for this spirited counting poem. Beginning with one small turtle and working up to ten twitching rabbits, this book introduces the numbers one through ten. Vibrant pages teeming with brilliantly colored hopping frogs, wiggly worms, and other animated creatures are sure to inspire young children to count the critters again and again.
Published February 1st 2004 by Gullane Children's Books (first published 1999)

midnightfaerie
Somewhere between a level 1 and level 2 reader for beginners, it had more than enough to keep all my kids interested. My 5 yr old loved the rhyming and my twin 3 yr olds loved saying the numbers, counting with me, and all the bright colorful pictures of the different animals. I, as a parent, loved the educational aspect of it, the counting on each page and then the nice addition at the end to reinforce the numbers, Cabera made a page with all the animals that was a kind of seek and find. Finding...more
Jeffiner Singleton
There are more beautifully illustrated versions of this, but my son liked these fun pictures and the obvious numbers it shows on each page. By the way, you have to SING this book - so if you don't know the song, you'd better learn it. It's adorable.
Lindsay
I have done other versions of this classic song/poem before for Spanish and bilingual story time programs. I am using this version for a tortoise and turtle-themed story time program at the Modesto Junior College (MJC) Great Valley Museum. I like this version because it is colorful. Some of the illustrations are strange for me(i.e., the tails and fur of the family of rats), but I think they would appeal to small children.

Update: It was a little long for the MJC Great Valley program, but it work...more
Rachel Dalton
This is a great counting book for very young readers that includes many different animals. It also works on rhyming and is great for choral or shared reading.
Samantha
A picture book version of the well-loved children's song that uses animals and rhyming text to introduces the numbers 1-10.

I love the texture of Cabrera's paintings. This book made me long to touch some of her illustrations, especially the beehive and the rats!

Great read aloud for preschoolers.
Michelle
The only bummer with this book is that seven rhymes with heaven...and I usually avoid any such references in storytime. Fun to use to count to five though!
Dana
Fun counting book with animal characters and rhyming patterns. Maisie always wiggles along when the mama worm tells her babies to wiggle.
Callie
Nov 13, 2012 Callie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
My dad used to sing this to us but i had forgotten the words. Glad to be reminded and to share with the magpie.
Nicole
very fun, catchy ryhming book. the artistry is beautiful. I really love this book. On my 'to buy' list.
Cristina
Mother & baby animals make noises in this rhyming tale based on the popular song.
Eileen
rhyme with counting and animals; colorful
Padmakshi Patowary
Padmakshi Patowary marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Alicia
Alicia added it
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Nisha
Nisha marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Deanie
Deanie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Jihyun Kim
Jihyun Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
If You're Happy and You Know It! Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star Ten in the Bed Cat's Colors Mommy, Carry Me Please!