Start by marking “Over in the Meadow” as Want to Read:
Over in the Meadow

Over in the Meadow

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This fresh version of the counting rhyme Over in the Meadow, is vibrantly illustrated by Jane Cabrera. Children learn to count all the animals as they sing along, and look for hidden details too. Ages 2+.
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published February 1st 2004 by Not Avail (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Over in the Meadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over in the Meadow

midnightfaerie
Jul 22, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Somewhere between a level 1 and level 2 reader for beginners, it had more than enough to keep all my kids interested. My 5 yr old loved the rhyming and my twin 3 yr olds loved saying the numbers, counting with me, and all the bright colorful pictures of the different animals. I, as a parent, loved the educational aspect of it, the counting on each page and then the nice addition at the end to reinforce the numbers, Cabera made a page with all the animals that was a kind of seek and find. Finding ...more
Allison Weiler
Jun 07, 2016 Allison Weiler rated it liked it
Title: Over in the Meadow
Author: Jane Cabrera
Genre: Counting
Theme(s): Animals, Numbers, Rhyme
Opening line/sentence:
(Over in the meadow in the sand in the sun
lived Old Mother Turtle and her little turtle one.
“Dig,” said the mother. “I dig,” said the one.
So they dug all day in the sand in the sun.
Brief Book Summary:
This counting picture book teaches children numbers one to ten, while incorporating animals in the meadow. Each page is dedicated to a number and an animal, explaining the daily liv
Jeffiner Singleton
Aug 26, 2011 Jeffiner Singleton rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
There are more beautifully illustrated versions of this, but my son liked these fun pictures and the obvious numbers it shows on each page. By the way, you have to SING this book - so if you don't know the song, you'd better learn it. It's adorable.
Dolly
May 12, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
This book offers a bright and colorful version of the classic song. I can't help but hear Raffi singing his version of the song in my head as I read the book; we listened to that song too many times to count while our girls were very young.

The illustrations are wonderful and I am sure that younger children will enjoy listening to this book read aloud to them. I chose not to read it with our girls, because I was sure they would consider it too babyish, but you never know...

Lindsay
I have done other versions of this classic song/poem before for Spanish and bilingual story time programs. I am using this version for a tortoise and turtle-themed story time program at the Modesto Junior College (MJC) Great Valley Museum. I like this version because it is colorful. Some of the illustrations are strange for me(i.e., the tails and fur of the family of rats), but I think they would appeal to small children.

Update: It was a little long for the MJC Great Valley program, but it work
Ina
May 14, 2015 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
The illustrations are bright and filled with color and fun. The text, lyrics of the song, has a great read-aloud beat. My story time audience loved this one and loved helping to count all the wonderful whimsical animals.
Rachel Dalton
This is a great counting book for very young readers that includes many different animals. It also works on rhyming and is great for choral or shared reading.
Mckinley
May 06, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Prefer the version by Ezra Jack Keats.
Samantha
A picture book version of the well-loved children's song that uses animals and rhyming text to introduces the numbers 1-10.

I love the texture of Cabrera's paintings. This book made me long to touch some of her illustrations, especially the beehive and the rats!

Great read aloud for preschoolers.
Michelle
The only bummer with this book is that seven rhymes with heaven...and I usually avoid any such references in storytime. Fun to use to count to five though!
Dana
Dec 26, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it
Fun counting book with animal characters and rhyming patterns. Maisie always wiggles along when the mama worm tells her babies to wiggle.
Callie
Nov 13, 2012 Callie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
My dad used to sing this to us but i had forgotten the words. Glad to be reminded and to share with the magpie.
Nicole
Aug 21, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
very fun, catchy ryhming book. the artistry is beautiful. I really love this book. On my 'to buy' list.
Cristina
Mar 06, 2012 Cristina rated it really liked it
Mother & baby animals make noises in this rhyming tale based on the popular song.
Eileen
Apr 13, 2008 Eileen rated it really liked it
rhyme with counting and animals; colorful
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
K Folkins
K Folkins rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Andy
Andy added it
Jun 23, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Jun 23, 2016
Katy
Katy rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Nimitha
Nimitha marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Tracey
Tracey added it
Mar 20, 2016
Kx
Kx marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Holly Boothe
Holly Boothe rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016