Start by marking “Over in the Meadow” as Want to Read:
Over in the Meadow

Over in the Meadow

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This fresh version of the counting rhyme Over in the Meadow, is vibrantly illustrated by Jane Cabrera. Children learn to count all the animals as they sing along, and look for hidden details too. Ages 2+.
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published February 1st 2004 by Not Avail (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Over in the Meadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over in the Meadow

midnightfaerie
Somewhere between a level 1 and level 2 reader for beginners, it had more than enough to keep all my kids interested. My 5 yr old loved the rhyming and my twin 3 yr olds loved saying the numbers, counting with me, and all the bright colorful pictures of the different animals. I, as a parent, loved the educational aspect of it, the counting on each page and then the nice addition at the end to reinforce the numbers, Cabera made a page with all the animals that was a kind of seek and find. Finding ...more
Jeffiner Singleton
There are more beautifully illustrated versions of this, but my son liked these fun pictures and the obvious numbers it shows on each page. By the way, you have to SING this book - so if you don't know the song, you'd better learn it. It's adorable.
Dolly
May 12, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
This book offers a bright and colorful version of the classic song. I can't help but hear Raffi singing his version of the song in my head as I read the book; we listened to that song too many times to count while our girls were very young.

The illustrations are wonderful and I am sure that younger children will enjoy listening to this book read aloud to them. I chose not to read it with our girls, because I was sure they would consider it too babyish, but you never know...

Lindsay
I have done other versions of this classic song/poem before for Spanish and bilingual story time programs. I am using this version for a tortoise and turtle-themed story time program at the Modesto Junior College (MJC) Great Valley Museum. I like this version because it is colorful. Some of the illustrations are strange for me(i.e., the tails and fur of the family of rats), but I think they would appeal to small children.

Update: It was a little long for the MJC Great Valley program, but it work
Rachel Dalton
This is a great counting book for very young readers that includes many different animals. It also works on rhyming and is great for choral or shared reading.
Mckinley
Prefer the version by Ezra Jack Keats.
Samantha
A picture book version of the well-loved children's song that uses animals and rhyming text to introduces the numbers 1-10.

I love the texture of Cabrera's paintings. This book made me long to touch some of her illustrations, especially the beehive and the rats!

Great read aloud for preschoolers.
Michelle
The only bummer with this book is that seven rhymes with heaven...and I usually avoid any such references in storytime. Fun to use to count to five though!
Dana
Fun counting book with animal characters and rhyming patterns. Maisie always wiggles along when the mama worm tells her babies to wiggle.
Callie
Nov 13, 2012 Callie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
My dad used to sing this to us but i had forgotten the words. Glad to be reminded and to share with the magpie.
Nicole
very fun, catchy ryhming book. the artistry is beautiful. I really love this book. On my 'to buy' list.
Cristina
Mother & baby animals make noises in this rhyming tale based on the popular song.
Eileen
rhyme with counting and animals; colorful
Lindsy
Lindsy added it
Aug 28, 2014
Nubs
Nubs marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Kristin Olin
Kristin Olin marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Heather Palenshus
Heather Palenshus marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
If You're Happy and You Know It! Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star Cat's Colors Ten in the Bed The Wheels on the Bus