Start by marking “Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing” as Want to Read:
Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing

Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing (Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing)

Published October 9th 2012 by Zonderkidz (first published September 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing

Bluerose's  Heart
When I put together that the author of this book is the same author as The Jesus Storybook Bible, my conscience automatically went on high alert. I didn't like The Jesus Storybook Bible. A couple of years ago, I passed my copy on to someone I thought could enjoy it more than me. I don't regret that, but at the same time, it is driving me absolutely *insane* that I really don't remember why I didn't like that book!!! I seem to recall that the author was a little more liberal in her translations o ...more
Jamie
Jan 27, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I’m really really excited about this book!

From Jago and Sally Lloyd-Jones, the creators of the bestselling Jesus Storybook Bible, comes this gorgeous and innovative collection of 101 simple-yet- profound thoughts on faith. Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing shares profound spiritual truths from the Bible told in a conversational tone—drawing insights from creation, history, science, the writings of great thinkers and preachers and writers, and more—to turn the reader’s eyes toward the God who love
Margaret Chind
Nov 15, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: Sally

Originally posted on Creative Madness Mama.Have you read The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name backward and forward but still desire more from the words of Sally Lloyd-Jones and creative illustrations of Jago then I highly recommend Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing . It's beautiful and every single devotion within is worthy to spend time pondering over. This one isn't just for kids. I'm not sure I want to share I like it so much. :)

This review was originally posted on Creativ
Marie
May 27, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, nonfic, christian
Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing is a beautiful book inside and out. Sally Lloyd-Jones did a fantastic job writing short and sweet daily devotionals for children and pairing them with Scripture. Each devotional was thought-provoking and really set up my heart for the day. And the pictures! The full-page full-color illustrations throughout the book draw the eye and reinforce the devotionals in a gorgeous way.

I checked this book out of my library and renewed it and renewed it and renewed it. I tur
Kevin
Jan 04, 2013 Kevin rated it really liked it
We read this just about every night. One page/entry a night before bed. The kids loved it and frequently requested it if we forgot. In fact, they want to start over and read again. One could quibble with some theology or exegesis but that is silly in a book like this. It introduces children to the character and nature if God and scripture in an inspirational and devotional way. Add in wonderful illustrations and you have a keeper.
Eric Chappell
Jul 01, 2013 Eric Chappell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reading
A devotional for children: what a brilliant idea. The great thing is that this collection of reflections and insights into Scripture doubles as a devotional for grown-ups. I will be giving this book away (along with the Jesus StoryBook Bible) often. I cherished literally every page of this book. The artwork is delightful, the thoughts deep, and the result is doxological rejoicing in Jesus. I'm so thankful for Sally Lloyd-Jones. Buy this book.
JoJo Sutis
Oct 16, 2013 JoJo Sutis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it-2013
This book is so amazing!!!! The illustrations are breathtaking and the devotionals really will make your heart sing!!! Share this book with your children & grandchildren, but be sure to keep a copy for yourself. This book will stir your heart and truly draw you closer to God. Do you desire to have the faith of a child? This is a great place to start! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!
Kristen
May 23, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and true meditations on scripture and scriptural ideas that are short and appropriate to read together as a family, perhaps over a meal. Would also be good to give an 8-10 year old child who might enjoy a devotional book that is not a guilt-trip, but full of joyful reflections that will guide them towards prayer and worship.
Nancy
Jan 25, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
I have now bought 6 copies of this book. It is wonderful. The art work is beautiful.
It is suitable for anyone 2 to 102. It brings God to your everyday places.
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

Christian Children's Book and audio CD's.

About the Author:

Sally Lloyd-Jones is a leading writer of inspirational books for children. She is the author of three bestselling children’s Bibles, including the Gold Book Award-winning Baby’s First Bible and, most recently, the Moonbeam Award Winner and ALA notable, The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name. She has written many picture books for children, including the critically acclaimed New York Times bestseller How t
Sally
Oct 01, 2014 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pre-release Review

The creators of the bestselling “Jesus Storybook Bible” does it again with this delightful book, “Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing”, filled with 101 collections of thoughts on faith. The truths from the Bible are told in every day conversation making it easy to understand. This is written and illustrated to keep your youngster motivated to make daily devotions a major part of their lives. It teaches them about never giving up and keeping their eyes on the God…the one who loves
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Sally Lloyd-Jones wrote Thoughts To Make Your Heart Sing with the intention of it being used to guide children into a daily devotional time. Her words combined with the artistic talent of Jago and the life-giving Word of God make for the perfect tool to help your little one begin that life-long habit.

In the Deluxe Edition the daily thoughts have been recorded on two cds by the distinguished British actor David Suchet. I can think of so many wonderful ways to use this valuable set. I know the ob
Eliezer Salazar
Dec 20, 2016 Eliezer Salazar rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend it to young and old alike. As a father-to-be, it definitely made MY heart sing. Great systematic theology of sorts for kids.
Janet
One way to help keep the Merry in Christmas is to present gifts that make the heart sing! Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing Deluxe Edition by Sally Lloyd-Jones and Jago is the perfect gift this year for the whole family to enjoy! It is presented in a beautiful box set that includes devotional stories and two audio CDs. This whimsically illustrated hardcover devotional consists of 101 inspirational thoughts on faith. The audio devotional is read by award-winning actor David Suchet. The devotional ...more
Michelle Brock
May 22, 2015 Michelle Brock rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book, good to read aloud slowly with the whole family.

From Tim Keller's forward: "Somehow, however, the experiential side of a relationship with God is often neglected, so that by the time children are teens, they are woefully lopsided-- long on information, but short on experience of God's presence."

This paragraph is crucial for understanding the value of this book. The affective side of Christianity is often neglected by people who are passionate about theology, not just b
Eyterna
Feb 20, 2016 Eyterna rated it it was amazing
So i actually owned this book for at least two years (i have more horror stories though, don't worry) and now i've FINALLY read this through and through.

It's a very uplifting book, and more than once i wish i had read my daily bit at the beginning of the day instead of at the end. Though the art was in a style i'm not really used to (read: otaku) it was bright and textured very strongly (not necessarily in a bad way) and so was very bright and lively.

Recommended at the KYCK convention at Katoom
Nancee
Oct 28, 2014 Nancee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancee by: quiltcat26@sbcglobal.net
Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing is a beautifully written and illustrated devotional type book for youngsters. I thoroughly enjoyed it myself! The writing is creative, easy to understand, and saturated with lessons in understanding the Gospel and God's love for us. Everyday items found in nature are exquisitely utilized, the messages beautifully conveyed by the author, and illustrated by the artist. Illustrations are colorful and delightful!

The CDs that accompany this deluxe edition are a bonus
Yvette Mcintire Ling
Just like "Jesus Storybook", the illustrations are eye catching and beautifully done. They add to the devotional content and kind of give you a visual primer for what you will read.

As I loved the Jesus Storybook and will probably continue to read it and give it as a gift long after by own child is grown, I can't say that I have that thought with this book.

I have read this to my daughter over the last couple of years, but it just leaves something to be desired. We read and discuss, but I think
Julie Dykstra
Sep 18, 2016 Julie Dykstra rated it it was amazing
Between the great artwork and the insightful text, this book is a gem! I have ordered several copies and give them as gifts at baptisms. I wish I had had a book like this when I was a child. It communicate God's love in such a tangible and clear way, so that any child of God, young to old, can take joy in their special relationship with their heavenly Father. The use of art enhances the biblically sound concepts so thatch reader remembers the message long after closing the book! If ordering on k ...more
Michelle
Dec 21, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
As a newly-introduced fan of Sally Lloyd-Jones (via "The Jesus Storybook Bible") I was not at all disappointed by this book of devotionals intended primarily for children, but meaningful to anyone on the Christian journey--- young or old, seeker or veteran. She is succinct, colorful, scripturally attuned and refreshing to both heart and soul. I recently read a review of this book where she commented it had come about as a response to her niece's ongoing struggles with bullies in her school; don' ...more
Becky Sayler
Feb 09, 2014 Becky Sayler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-devotions
This collection of about 100 “thoughts” are each illustrated beautifully and paired with a Bible verse. The book is intended for children ages 6 – 9 to read on their own, but this could be used by the whole family. This book is mostly meditations on the character of God, God’s love for you, and God’s grace made available to you. In contrast to most of the other devotions for children, it is not focused on behavior or obedience. Sally Lloyd-Jones’s conversational and humorous tone also manages to ...more
Nov 27, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THOUGHTS TO MAKE YOUR HEART SING: Deluxe Edition is a perfect gift to give to a mom with young children. The children can listen to the audio cds in the car or in the nursery or when the designated reader is otherwise engaged and follow along in the book if they want. Or they can read each devotional individually.

No substance really, but each does start with thoughts and followed by a Bible verse. The illustrations are lovely. This would be a lovely baby gift as well.
Justin
Feb 06, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it
I love Sally Lloyd-Jones' creativity in developing the simple stories to help me to think and meditate. Yes, this is directed towards a younger audience, but, nonetheless, reminders of truth are exactly what all of us need. The introduction from Timothy Keller does a great job at giving perspective on the rest of the book.

Although the target audience is older than her The Jesus Storybook Bible, I would recommend this for anyone. Even the little footnotes in the back are good.
Rosa Lin
Jul 16, 2016 Rosa Lin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rosa by: Victor Thomas
Shelves: devotional
It's an enchanting, beautiful, inspiring, imaginative, and delightful way to start every morning! It's a museum of love musings from the heart of God (with scriptural reference!).

I am in love with this book and more in love with God through this book. The truths are astounding, resounding and deep, despite being embedded in pages of simple sing-song poetry, vibrant colors and lovely forms. I feel a lost childhood without God retrieved and redeemed by the pages of this book.
Aveline
Dec 06, 2015 Aveline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I have been overwhelmingly touched by this book. I had planned to proof read this for future use with children and along the way I found how greatly this book has helped me as well. Seeing the gospel through a child's eyes, with God's love as my focus, has greatly shaped how I view many different nagging questions in my faith. I have shared this book with many other and recommend this as a wonderful devotional for children, and an amazing read for all ages. This book is a true blessing.
Parsons Parsons
This is a beautifully drawn Christian devotional. Do not expect deep conservative theology from this book. It is one or two bible verses per page with a meditations that range from the silly to the thought provoking. If you want a serious theological devotional then read My Utmost for His Highest: by Oswald Chambers. If you want simple, pretty, and fun then this is your devotional.
Jeremy
As Keller says in the forward, it's good to see an emphasis on the lived experience of Christianity so that children know and feel God's presence, not just know about God. Catechesis and other kinds of cerebral instruction are important, but so is our felt experience with God. The first devotional begins with the word dance.
Carl Jenkins
Apr 14, 2016 Carl Jenkins rated it really liked it
Made by the same two people that made the Jesus Story Book Bible, this devotional book for kids is fantastic. Most devotional books for children that I've come across are a bit too...light I suppose. This book is a good balance between what the kids reading it will understand and a little bit of depth to God.
Joy
Jul 17, 2016 Joy rated it it was amazing
At last I've discovered Sally Lloyd-Jones!! This was an excellent book just filled with excellent thoughts and quotes on the Christian life.
"When God says, 'Glorify me!' he's really saying, "Be filled with joy."
"Faith is leaning your whole weight onto God."
"When you forgive, you set a prisoner free. That prisoner is you."
Shannon Andrews
May 13, 2016 Shannon Andrews rated it really liked it
Me and my kids love the colorful illustrations on this amazing book as well as the poems on each and every pages. Though I need to explain to my kids what each poem meant it is good to know that they are having their own concept of what is written on this magnificent book, and at an early age they are able to comprehend what their faith is all about. Indeed this book makes my heart sings.
  • The Gospel Story Bible: Discovering Jesus in the Old and New Testaments
  • The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
  • Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home
  • NIrV, Adventure Bible for Early Readers, Hardcover
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus: Experiencing the Peace and Promise of Christmas
  • Don't Waste Your Life Study Guide
  • Housewife Theologian: How the Gospel Interrupts the Ordinary
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, & Mission Around the Table
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Brave Young Knight
  • Hero Tales
  • Glorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You Free
Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads Page. You'll find more @ my SUPER blog, my blog, my public facebook page, and my website.

PLUS you can follow me on twitter.

More about Sally Lloyd-Jones...