Start by marking “Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry” as Want to Read:
Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

Think about sin and the cross—the way that salvation changes who we are and how God sees us. It’s a central part of our faith, and yet it’s one of the most confusing and difficult things to teach. Especially to a room full of teenagers.

In Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry, Andrew Root invites you along on a journey with Nadia—a fictional youth worker who is wrestling with
Published August 25th 2012 by Zondervan/Youth Specialties (first published August 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking the Cross to Youth Ministry

Joshua Serrano
Jan 13, 2013 Joshua Serrano rated it it was amazing
Wow! The more I read Root's books, the more I think he's a Lutheran. His understanding of Luther's theology of the cross is amazing. And the way he is able to show forth a way to take it to children is very impressive. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the theology of the cross, not just for youth ministry.
Eric Clapp
Mar 24, 2013 Eric Clapp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
If you want an incredibly deep, yet concise primer on the theology of the cross, you can't do much better than this book. There's also a really nice introduction to what adolescence is and how it affects young people. All in all, highly recommended.
Tom
Aug 27, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
If I had to summarize Root's message in one sentence I'd say: The cross is not a logo for a lifestyle, but the very location of God's presence with and for us.

I would add that the cross is not only the cross of Christ, but the crosses each of us bear in our human frailty, sin, brokenness, and impossibility. In these barren places is where God seeks to meet us. In these places is where (youth) ministry ought to dwell.

This is the second in what will be a four-part series on "A Theological Journey
Jeremy Serrano
I am impressed with this series, but especially this book. Root explains Luther's Theology of the Cross in an accessible way. Though this book is for youth ministers it should be read by anyone interested in theology (just remember the original audience).

I also highly recommend this book and series to any Youth Workers. Even if you have been in youth ministry for 12 years like me, this book has something to say to you.
Chris Crane
Aug 11, 2015 Chris Crane rated it it was ok
Andrew's narratival approach to writing about theology I thought was interesting and it did help make this work a bit more engaging, I think. My biggest problem with this book was his insistence on using the term "Godself" to refer to God, a gender-inclusive word often used by more progressive-leaning Christians, which I would no be one of. I think there are theological reasons for why God must be spoken of in masculine terms, but this avenue is not the best place for such discussions.
Lance
Jan 17, 2013 Lance rated it really liked it
Good Book. It is a little dark but but it places Christ in the edgy part of life which is where you want Him. If you want theology, it is there and documented. If you want an alternative to deeper than substitute salvation, this is your book. Christ is in our lives when He is needed - when things get difficult. Sin vs sinning, the cross in our daily lives and how God is walking with us through the pain, etc. This all translates to practical theology - that can be used with youth.
James
Mar 28, 2015 James rated it really liked it
the second of Roots Taking Theology to Youth Ministry narrative. This one focused on where the cross meets youths' lives. The cross is more than a place to deal transactionally with our sin problem. It is Where Christ encounters us in abandonment, loneliness isolation.

The narrative format is interesting and of course what Root writes is broadly applicable beyond youth ministry
Tyler Jarvis
Tyler Jarvis rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Beau Brown
Beau Brown rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
Kelvin Kehler
Kelvin Kehler rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Ashley Rosa
Ashley Rosa rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Aaron Fuller
Aaron Fuller rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
T.J. Gabelman
T.J. Gabelman rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Chris Clark
Chris Clark rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Richard Jones
Richard Jones rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Rob Kaylor
Rob Kaylor rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Anna Morris
Anna Morris rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Stephanie Scott
Stephanie Scott rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Christian
Christian rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Mindy Lavender
Mindy Lavender rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Linda Kretschmaier
Linda Kretschmaier rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
James Ritchie
James Ritchie rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2015
Stephanie
Feb 25, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Very important theological work for youth ministry
Ben Tarver
Ben Tarver rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Elissa
Elissa rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Coby Fisher
Coby Fisher rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Jonathan Platter
Jonathan Platter rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Lanternbearer
Lanternbearer rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Root joined Luther Seminary in 2005 as assistant professor of youth and family ministry. Previously he was an adjunct professor at Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington D.C., and Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J.

Root received his bachelor of arts degree from Bethel College, St. Paul, Minn., in 1997. He earned his master of divinity (2000) and his master of theology (2001) d
More about Andrew Root...