Start by marking “The Moscow Club” as Want to Read:
The Moscow Club

The Moscow Club

Beyond the headlines of tomorrow...In a Soviet capital brought to its knees by a wave of terrorist bombings and assassinations, a secret group - outraged by the new liberalism - plots a violent overthrow of the government...From the innermost circles of American Intelligence, across the treacherous emigre enclaves of Europe, and into the cloistered halls of the Kremlin, "T ...more
Paperback
Published February 18th 2005 by Pan (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Moscow Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moscow Club

Lance Charnes
Mar 12, 2013 Lance Charnes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Global-conspiracy fans
I had high hopes for The Moscow Club. An espionage novel written by an ex-intelligence professional, set during a fascinating point in recent history (1991, the twilight of the Soviet Union)…I was looking forward to a intelligent, reality-based thriller, maybe with some intelligence-community inside baseball thrown in for good measure.

Oh, well.

The premise isn’t bad: an intelligence analyst stumbles across what appears to be a developing plot by Kremlin insiders to overthrow Mikhail Gorbachev in
Mal Warwick
Apr 08, 2015 Mal Warwick rated it liked it
Looking for a spy thriller that might keep you up at night?

If you suspend disbelief, as science fiction writers ask you to do, you may enjoy this intricately plotted thriller from one of America’s best contemporary novelists of suspense. For starters, you’ll need to imagine a brilliant young CIA analyst with a near-eidetic memory who is also, though untrained, accomplished in hand-to-hand combat, picking locks, and repairing cars. Oh, and he’s devilishly handsome to boot and is married to a risi
Quentin Feduchin
Feb 02, 2015 Quentin Feduchin rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A very interesting thriller, built on historical facts that we know about Stalin, Lenin, and the US president's visit to Moscow to meet with Gorbachev in 1981/2.

Obviously the political undercurrents are invented and make up the thriller, which is on the general lines of a 'Bourne Legacy' thriller. Our hero has to undergo many dangers and escapes and many political and quasi-political characters are devised for the story.

It really is a page turner; not the most complicated of plots but satisfying
Eric Warren
Feb 01, 2013 Eric Warren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a top-notch government / spy thriller. Moscow Club has all of the things I love about these books, grounded setting, characters fighting for their lives, and an outlook for the protagonist so bleak that there's no possible way he's going to make it through. I feel smarter having read it, knowing the amount of research that went into it.
My recommendation: if you're reading the re-released version of the book, don't read the introduction until after you've finished the book. While th
Carl R.
Nov 07, 2014 Carl R. rated it liked it
This is my first venture into the international thriller world of Joseph Finder with The Moscow Club, a bit outdated per recent Russian events, but still worth a look.

Charlie Stone is not in the greatest place in his life. His wife's walked out, and the CIA calls him back to duty from cliff-face just as he's assuaging his sorrows by mountain climbing in the Adirondacks. The duty is the unpleasant errand that involves reopening old wounds inflicted when his father had been disgraced--jailed even-
Chris Ryan
Sep 04, 2010 Chris Ryan rated it really liked it
I am loving this book!!! I heard the author on the radio talking about another book he wrote. I found this one at my favorite used bookstore, and it is great! I can't begin to say how much I enjoy reading about a world with no cell phones, no internet, and marginal airport security! If you are under 40, I recommend it for that reason alone!
Rachel Levesque
Jul 21, 2014 Rachel Levesque rated it it was amazing
546 pages of government conspiracy between the CIA and KGB... Very interesting. Loved it!
Boris Feldman
Jun 01, 2014 Boris Feldman rated it really liked it
A superb spy novel. In the class of LeCarre and his ilk.
Jsbiddle
Apr 30, 2013 Jsbiddle rated it it was amazing
Great book. Exactly what you would expect from Mr. Finder.
Lynn
Aug 30, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it
This was a book that is not my typical choice, I picked this because I will be going to a conference in November where Joseph Finder will be speaking and wanted an example of his work. “The Moscow Club”at over five hundred pages, is pretty hefty and yet so action packed you don’t really notice it … until you try to pick it up.

Charles Stone works in a branch of national intelligence and is a guru of Soviet Studies; he has high placed mentors throughout the government so that even though his fathe
Ed
Aug 18, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
Thriller - Charlie Stone, brilliant Russian affairs analyst for the CIA, is also the son of a Harvard professor jailed in the McCarthy era. With an impending summit between the American President and Gorbychev, there are rumblings of a coup related to the "Lenin Testament". Stone struggles to clear his father's name as bodies pile up and he becomes a marked man.
David
Nov 18, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book started out after a chapter or two as a five, then slowly gave way to a solid three. Why? First a five due to many stories within the story which promised to end in a glorious finale, but the story of Charlie Stone, the novel's hero, just became a superman that spoiled the story for me. Also, more complicated than needed. Just a work of fiction that could never never never never happen.
Patrick Donovan
Apr 15, 2015 Patrick Donovan rated it it was ok
I picked this book up because I'd seen it on a list of "The 10 Best Spy Novels."
Well, it isn't.
It's a decent page-turner, but formulaic and with cardboard characters.
It can't compare with LeCarre or Furst or Steinhauer, to name a few off the top of my head.
Take it out of the library if you need something for the beach, but don't spend your money on it.
Mary
Feb 12, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
I liked this book to the point I was compelled to keep reading through the thriller parts. A very convoluted plot and plots within the plots, scanning days of Lenin until times of the 80's and 90's and revolution. I always like his books and how he writes. Makes me want to check out the waxen left behinds.... The plight of good men and bad men and the innocents.
Susan
Feb 07, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok
The first, and in my opinion, worst of Finder's novels. While the premise is quite intriguing, he needed massive editing to make this novel work. The characters are well-drawn; it's the pacing that's way off. He hadn't mastered the art of driving a story forward yet. If you've never read Finder, don't start here. Start with "Suspicion". He gets much much better.
Bonnie Streetman
Oct 22, 2015 Bonnie Streetman rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I've liked most of his books. This one was a little hard to keep up with. It was all one big chase scene from New York, to Moscow, to Washington, to Boston and back again. I like books about Russia, so I liked it if for no other reason. It seemed a little long.
HistoryGeek 42
Sep 29, 2016 HistoryGeek 42 rated it liked it
Good classic Soviet era spy novel. Lots of characters to keep straight (and those Russian names!) in the beginning. By the end the body count has piled up and there's only a few people to remember.
Kevin
May 20, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - I have to give this 5 stars. Even though it was a little long I appreciated the history that was told. The plot was good with great character builds. These stories always make you wonder what really happens in secret sometimes.
Wayne
Dec 02, 2014 Wayne rated it really liked it
Moscow Club was Finder's 1st novel and set the standard for all his novels that followed. It is also his longest book. It is a nail-biter from the beginning right up to the end.
dennis barron
Mar 17, 2015 dennis barron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Moscow club

Twists and unbelievable turns to the very last pages! This is an excellent book, which I believe was j finders first. Full of intrigue and espionage...cia,kGB...you won't be able to put it down!!
Tom Coulter
Jul 05, 2016 Tom Coulter rated it really liked it
Novel about the Soviet and American espionage culture from 50's and 60's. There may be some genuine insight available but recreationally interesting as well.
Connie
Jan 09, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book. The book is well written, the story is riveting so keeps you reading. I think I've found a new author to enjoy.
Marshall Doty
Feb 05, 2016 Marshall Doty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguingly suspenseful

Fast paced but still detailed and believable. Well written and full of plot twists. I enjoyed the entire book. Readable
David Highton
intriguing spy plot, a bit more complex than it needed to be and a slightly flat ending
Sheila
Apr 03, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say, for me only, this was about the most complex book I've ever read. It was a first attempt by this author. Future books are much less confusing and more compact. However, I found it a good story that was well written and made it to a nice ending (I think). It was that convoluted, if you know what I mean. Actually I found I could have been reading a bit of actual history, but not a drab history book. That's much more fun anyway. I'll continue reading his books, as I've read a few of the ...more
Katherine Derbyshire
Couldn't finish it. The protagonist, supposedly a brilliant intelligence analyst, is too stupid to live, doing things like leaving classified materials lying around his home for other people to find. The antagonists aren't much better.

Proposes the existence of massive, all-powerful, long-term conspiracies within *both* the US and Soviet intelligence communities. While that sort of thing is a staple of the genre, these are more than usually implausible, with not even a feeble attempt to explain
Carly Baker
Nov 03, 2015 Carly Baker rated it liked it
A little too gory for my tastes, but well written.
Paul Parkinson
His first and not his best. It just got too drawn out and I was having trouble making it all fit. so I quit to move on to one of his most recent, suspicion. Great one.
Evelyn
Jun 18, 2015 Evelyn added it
enjoyed the quasi history and story
Ruth
1991 spy novel us vs russia
  • The Venetian Judgment (Agent Micah Dalton, #3)
  • Velocity (Karen Vail #3)
  • Final Witness
  • FINAL ARGUMENT - A Legal Thriller (Clifford Irving's Legal Novels Book 2)
  • A Game of Spies
  • Blood of the Albatross
  • The Successor (Christian Gillette, #4)
  • Storm Runners
  • 44 Irish Short Stories
  • The Naked Edge (Cavanaugh #2)
  • Catherine Coulter CD Collection: Eleventh Hour, Blindside, and Blowout
  • The Lisbon Crossing (Jack Teller, #2)
  • Volk's Game: A Novel
  • Stolen Blessings
  • Only When I Larf
  • The Hill Road
  • The Enraged (Jonathan Quinn, #7)
  • The Far Reaches
Joseph Finder’s plan was to become a spy. Or maybe a professor of Russian history. Instead he became a bestselling thriller writer, and winner of the Strand Critics Award for Best Novel for BURIED SECRETS (2011), winner of the International Thriller Writers Award for Best Novel for KILLER INSTINCT (2006) and winner of the Barry and Gumshoe Awards for Best Thriller for COMPANY MAN (2005).

Born in C
More about Joseph Finder...