Eyes of Light

Eyes of Light (Eyes of Light Series #1)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Suvi Goldstein wants to escape her past, but the whirlwinds of life pull her back into danger and intrigue as she falls for a man with secrets as deadly as her own. When disaster strikes, she flounders and, once again, flees and tries to leave her guilt behind. But will she ever be free of the darkness that binds her? Can she ever forgive herself for what happened...so tha...more
Published May 2012

Taylor Dean
I really enjoyed this book. Two things stand out to me: One, I really wasn't exactly sure who Suvi was going to end up with, and that kept me turning the pages. Two, this book contains a beautiful message. The ending scene brought tears to my eyes. The message is simply this: no matter what you've experienced due to your circumstances in life or whatever you've done in your life, you are still precious in the eyes of God. The author brings this message to the reader rather eloquently. I finished...more
Vanessa-Jane Chapman
I really enjoyed this book. The stark contrast between good and evil was marked, and Suvi's struggle to find her way between those two worlds kept me guessing all the way through. We can tell she's good underneath, but we've seen some of her terrible choices and witnessed her terrible experiences and so we can't be sure what's going to happen to her next, or what choices she will make. I read this book on an e-reader on my phone which meant it was always with me, and whenever I had a spare few m...more
Summer
For someone who typically doesn't enjoy LDS fiction because of its tendency to be cheesy, this book was a enjoyable surprise for me. There was the LDS spin, but it was that and more. There was a love story that wasn't so typical, but real all the same. There was action and humor and a past to these characters' lives. More real than a lot of the LDS fiction I've read in the past. And less naive.

The author's character development is far beyond what you'd expect from a first-time novelist. The char...more
Gina Barlean
This tale is filled with suspense. The story's main characters are well developed. The plot and subplots are nicely interwoven. I really like the way the story ends...just the way I'd hoped it would. This is a well written book and I would highly suggest buying it. It held my attention, especially toward the end. I loved the overall message and the way it was presented. It's always a pleasure to read a new author. Eyes Of Light will not disappoint.
Carrie Rubin
"Eyes of Light" takes the reader from Mexican drug lords to Mormon missionaries in Guatemala, with a protagonist who's smart and resourceful yet unaware of her true potential or worthiness as a human being. Torn between violent men in one world and a kind, forgiving man in another, Suvi must find her way towards salvation, and thus escape her demons once and for all. A well-written read that not only entertains but educates as well.
Patricia
My rating: 4.5.

I finished this book last week but I have been sweating about writing a review on goodreads because the author is my cousin. I want to be objective in my review or my review is meaningless for goodreads although a fawning review might gain me points with my cousin!! So here goes.

For about the first third of the book, I was really tense. If I didn't like the book, what would I say on goodreads? I sometimes had trouble immersing myself in the story because I was worried about that s...more
Larry
This book does not fit within my typical genre. I stole it from my wife at a time when the house was running low on books, initially thinking I would just pass the time with the first few chapters. Although I do not care much for romances, I ended up reading the entire book (and enjoying quite a few aspects) just because I had to find out what would happen with the characters. Some of the characters made some poor decisions; some did not behave rationally. But the book is about university aged y...more
S
I would have never guessed this was the author's first novel! A few grammatical errors stood out (mostly chopping the -ly off of adverbs) and made me stop reading for a minute, but I loved the flow of the story, the early introduction to Elder Hinton (so that his introduction into Suvi's life wasn't filled too much with "flashbacking"), and the integrity to Boise landmarks and her characters.

It's a great Cinderella romance. I definitely recommend this book to anyone and am looking forward to the...more
Kristen
I read this once before it was published. Itgood then, but I enjoyed it even more now.

This is an LDS suspwnse/romancw novel. My two favorite parts were thematic. One was the role of the Atone,ent. Thw second was the contrat between good and evil. This novel does not pull the pinches where evil is concernwd. It is fairly graphic. It is not the graphic that I like,. It is the acknowledgement that evul truly is bad.

I could tell that it was a first novel. The characters were great, but sometimes th...more
Charissa
May 15, 2012 Charissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2012
This review is biased. I'm the author of this book, so of course I love it! I've read it a bajillion and four times (at least) trying to get it just right; but I still like the story and love my characters even after reading it that many times (for what that's worth). You can check out a summary or sample part of the ebook at Amazon, Smashwords or my blog (JoyintheMoments.com) to see if you are really interested in this suspense/romance. I would recommend doing that on ANY book you buy.
George A
Eyes of Light is a great story. I couldn’t put it down. I finished it in two days. The author was clever and kept me switching back and forth who the bad guy was. This book has suspense, mystery, romance, and inspiration. The story is a good example of how a person’s life can be turned upside down because of circumstances and bad choices, and then can be changed by finding proper values, having good friends, and making right choices. I’m excited to read the next book. –George A. Clarke
Kate Johnston
"Eyes of Light" features Suvi Goldstein, a young girl who sacrifices her self-worth after she makes a terrible mistake at the expense of a loved one. She is forced to face her past when she meets James Hinton, a missionary. James sees Suvi’s goodness beneath her destructive behavior and decides he must help her overcome her demons. A story of love, violence, and faith, "Eyes of Light" offers readers a view into the missionary lifestyle as well as teaches the power of forgiveness.
Katherine
I was given a copy by the author. I really wanted to like it, but was frankly shocked at the content. TMI. I had to stop reading. Yuck. I hate reading a book that makes me feel so dirty. As much as I wanted the characters to grow and change, I don't want the pictures this book paints in my head.
Lynette
This is just for the author...I think it's great that you are writing books Charissa! Very cool! Really liked how this story ended and am anxious to read the follow up.
Elizabeth
I liked the strong characters and fast moving plot. I think this was a great book especially for a first time author.
Ellen Kyles
Excellent book, multiple twists and turns, definitely a stay up late book.
Dawn
Yeah Charissa!!!! Great job, I am excited to read your next book!!!
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 30, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
Rupert
Rupert marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Theo
Theo marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Terri Clark
Terri Clark marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Debra Combs
Debra Combs marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Arlene
Arlene added it
Jun 18, 2013
Even as a child, I envisioned myself as an author, creating such interesting works as The Creature from McGool as a 4th grader and dabbling in cheesy romance plots in my journal as a teenager. I spent a semester abroad in Israel and graduated from Brigham Young University in Elementary Education. I'm married, have four children and reside in Boise, Idaho.

Writing, reading, biking, gardening and hi...more
More about Charissa Stastny...
Secret Keepers Secret Keepers (Eyes of Light) (Volume 2)