Start by marking “Strike Dog: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #5)” as Want to Read:
Strike Dog: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #5)

Strike Dog: A Woods Cop Mystery (Woods Cop Mysteries #5)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The newest Joseph Heywood mystery novel set in Michigan's Upper Peninsula finds Grady Service out to avenge the murder of his girlfriend and his son. Conservation officers in several states are being gruesomely slaughtered and Service, alone and devastated, navigates the mind of a serial killer before he becomes the next victim. Hunting the hunter through Wisconsin and Mis ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Strike Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strike Dog

Eric
Jan 25, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
Can't remember the last time I read a book in two days. This is a real page-turner. It helps to have read the first 4 in the series in order to better understand Grady Service, but Heywood has really hit his stride by the time he gets to this one. He hooks you early in this one by killing off 3 major characters from previous books so that the reader is just as anxious for revenge (justice?) as Grady is. It reads much like a Nevada Barr story. My only problem with it is that I knew early on who t ...more
Regina
Jul 07, 2012 Regina rated it did not like it
Shelves: ugh
The beginning of this book completely turned me off, and I honestly never finished reading it. Nor will I buy any of the subsequent books in the series (which I had been looking forward to, before I started "Strike Dog"). I was so angry at the author, I had no desire to invest anymore time on this book or the series.
When I read the first book in the series, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I thought the protagonist's "lone wolf" ascetic life-style was little too much to swallow. Also, althou
Zinta
Mar 31, 2011 Zinta rated it really liked it
Fifth in the Woods Cop Mystery series, Strike Dog is another engrossing murder mystery by Michigan author, Joseph Heywood. Heywood, in fact, lives in the very same town that I do, and spends a great deal of time himself in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, as I do, so that was my initial hook into reading his novels. Once I became acquainted with sharp-minded and equally sharp-tongued conservation officer (CO) Grady Service, however, I was hooked for reasons of good reading.

Strike Dog is probably my f
Steve Kunitzer
Dec 27, 2015 Steve Kunitzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, solid read. The cast and pace contributed to an exciting fast paced story. Although I was dreading this book because of the loss of Maridly [indifferent on Walter] it was an intriguing thriller that marched Grady Service around the state of Michigan as well as into Wisconsin and Missouri and tied their deaths to a conservation officer serial killer(s). Most of the action either centers around or leads into the general plot line(s); this differs from previous books where random, unrelated ...more
Ed
Oct 07, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it
#5 in the Woods Cop series. This entry moves along at break-neck speed and it is only after finishing it that you have a chance to reflect and realize that there were plot holes and implausible circumstances. But no matter, it is fiction and provides a heck of a thrilling ride to the conclusion that might have been more foreseeable if the book hadn't been gobbled up in one sitting.

Woods Cop series - Grady Service is certain that the deaths of his girlfriend and son, though ruled accidental by th
Jersey Joe
Mar 13, 2015 Jersey Joe rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, the best of the series to date. From the shocking beginning, both to the reader and to Service, through to the conclusion, satisfactory and yet . . . , the reader can truly share and feel what Service is going through. An exceptional piece of writing, indeed!
Liz
Jun 07, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
This was at least a 4* book, maybe even a 4.5* right up until the last few chapters. I was pretty sure I knew WHO the "bad guy" must be from pretty early on, but I certainly would have liked for WHY to have become a bit clearer. Ok, a crazy serial killer, but usually they have a reason even if it might seem bizarre to us. We really got next to nothing here. Maybe there will be more in the next book in the series, but I felt quite let-down after being so fascinated up until then. I guess I'll try ...more
Margaret Snow
Dec 31, 2015 Margaret Snow rated it really liked it
I was upset at the beginning, but a well written story.
Thom Jones
Oct 19, 2010 Thom Jones rated it liked it
As usual Joe Heywood creates characters and plots twists faster than I can keep up with. I find myself going back to refresh my memory when a character pops up who hasn't been mentioned prominently or recently. Some are only mentioned briefly and others become old friends. At least for me, Heywood can create an imaginable character with only a brief description. He leaves few clues regarding the eventual culprit. But the story is entertaining enough to keep one satisfied along the way to the con ...more
Diane
Mar 26, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
"The newest Joseph Heywood mystery novel set in Michigan's Upper Peninsula finds Grady Service out to avenge the murder of his girlfriend and his son. Conservation officers in several states are being gruesomely slaughtered and Service, alone and devastated, navigates the mind of a serial killer before he becomes the next victim."

I liked this book even though I knew the killer very early on. You'll enjoy this book if you like: woods, conservation, conservation officers, murder mysteries.
MJ
Jul 03, 2013 MJ rated it really liked it
Once it got going, the book was great. What I love most about Heywood's books, this one in particular, is the way that he develops his character, no matter how minor they may be. This one took Service out of the U.P. and across the country on an interesting ride as he searched for the killer of DNR officers. Solid read that also speaks to the human condition (of sorts) without being preachy. I love, too, how the characters "take care of their own." Interesting read.
Joyce Bouck Miller
Jul 15, 2013 Joyce Bouck Miller rated it it was amazing
Joseph Heywood has nailed it with the Michigan Woods Cop series. Grady Service is a delightful multi-faceted main character - a man's man (and woman's too), with the ideal "Superior" setting located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. These stories are well-written, imaginative and always fast-paced. Grady Service stories combine human determination, greed, brutality, mystery, conviction, and geographic beauty to create great drama - EVERY time!
Steve
Mar 19, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Grady Service series, the only down side to this one for me is that when Service heads South to Missouri the language he uses with the locals in Missouri is hard to read at a fast pace, this one took me a little longer because I had to slow down a little. Other than that the story line is excellent and believeable (maybe except his financial situation). Will start the next one in a month or so.

Dee
Feb 01, 2012 Dee rated it it was amazing
Another Heywood Grady Service novel. I luv em!!!, I like the northwoods in the UP, the shift to the lower peninsula to places I know. Grady is a real hero, not a perfect hero, just real. Sometimes he gets into things way different than I would. This time he's suffering a very major personal loss. You can really feel for him. But he has a different set of personal tools to deal with it. Good expansion of my experience in life.
Cindy
Oct 26, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it
I love these Woods Cop books! Grady Service, a UP DNR Conservation Officer/Detective, who loves the forests and nature of the UP, fly fishing, hunting.....and since they always take place UP here, there are familiar places and situations and Yoopers to discover in a good story. Service kind of reminds me of Jack Reacher in Lee Child's books. Good mystery, quirky characters and lots of our beloved UP!
Susan Medsker-Nedderman
I was so shocked at the beginning of this book that I almost couldn't read the rest of it. Why would an author kill the protagonist's closest relations? One of the reasons I like to read series is that you can follow the characters through more of their lives than can be covered in one book. It seems like writing events to cause your "hero"the maximum heartbreak isn't the best way to proceed.
Dave
Apr 15, 2013 Dave rated it really liked it
A very fine installment of this series. The opening is jarring (do not read this one out of order or you'll be quite lost/confused), but the action is swift and gripping. Only the ending fell a tiny bit flat, given that the wrap-up was a bit sparse. There is a lot less time in the woods in this one, with what there is being focused on fly fishing, with much more time spent on the action.
Tom
Dec 20, 2008 Tom added it
Good but "different" Woods Cop mystery, in that much of the action takes place outside the (Michigan) UP. Exciting serial killer story: the diligent reader will identify the villain, but the author intentionally sets things up that way. There is a lot of background info, so newcomers to the series should start with an earlier entry.
D Enderby
Aug 27, 2012 D Enderby rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed several of heywoods "woods cop" stories. Enjoyable DNR (department of natural resources) stories located in Michigan's UP. One I did dislike was Chasing a Blond Moon, in which he got carried away with complexity and confusion. Thanks Alicia for lending several to me.
Whikmn
Dec 17, 2008 Whikmn rated it really liked it
Always enjoyable to read books that take place in the U.P. Grady Service working as a woods cop for the DNR has a tough going in this one. Loses 2 people very close to him. But he perseveres and gets the killer in the end.
Linda Heim-barger
Aug 17, 2013 Linda Heim-barger rated it liked it
A disappointing start. I thought about not continuing. I did finish it though, although I don't think it was up to his usual standard. And I have read the first 4 books in the series, this being the fifth.
Michael
Nov 08, 2010 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The best one in the series yet. Great as a stand alone story too. Kept me entranced from the beginning to the end and the end did not disappoint.
Neenah Lynch
May 28, 2013 Neenah Lynch rated it it was amazing
The best of this series so far. The beginning was a bummer but you were working a puzzle the whole way though.
Ben Hamilton
Aug 03, 2010 Ben Hamilton rated it it was ok
Enjoy the characters but thought this book was a bit too predictable despite starting out with a bang.
Cynthia
Sep 22, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it
I almost gave this book a five. Just a few areas of the plot I would have added to for more clarification.
Hrn1947
Oct 31, 2013 Hrn1947 rated it really liked it
What can I say great book. I love these stories and I love the woods. Read them in ordwe.
Laurie
Jul 17, 2009 Laurie rated it it was ok
Neesha
Jan 17, 2014 Neesha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite in the series so far--a very good read.
mvanhouten
Aug 07, 2011 mvanhouten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story...really kept me reading.
K.h.
Jun 18, 2009 K.h. rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Heywoods best yet.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • The Beautiful Truth
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • Bad Policy (Seamus McCree, #1)
  • The Nomination
  • Killing Silence (The Loser Mysteries, #1)
  • Deeper Than the Grave (Tai Randolph Mysteries #4)
  • Dante's Dilemma (A Mark Angelotti Novel, #3)
  • Bleeding Through (Rachel Goddard Mystery #5)
  • Death Spiral: A Faith Flores Science Mystery
  • Orchid House
  • Heart of Ice (Louis Kincaid, #11)
  • Concrete Desert
Joseph Heywood is the son of a career USAF officer. His dad was from Rhinecliff, New York on the Hudson River in Dutchess County, and his mother is from Mize, Mississippi in Sullivan County. His mother’s maiden name was Hegwood and she had only to change one letter to convert to her married name.

He is a 1961 graduate of Rudyard High School in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (Chippewa County). Played f
More about Joseph Heywood...

Woods Cop Mysteries (9 books)
  • Ice Hunter: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #1)
  • The Snowfly
  • Running Dark: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #4)
  • Chasing A Blond Moon: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #3)
  • Death Roe: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #6)
  • Shadow of the Wolf Tree: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #7)
  • Force of Blood: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #8)
  • Killing a Cold One: A Woods Cop Mystery