Start by marking “School Rumble, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
School Rumble, Volume 1

School Rumble, Volume 1 (School Rumble #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,369 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
SUBTLETY IS FOR WIMPS!

She . . . is a second-year high school student with a single all-consuming question: Will the boy she likes ever really notice her?

He . . . is the schoolâs most notorious juvenile delinquent and heâs suddenly come to a shocking realization: Heâs got a huge crush, and now he must tell her how he feels.

Life-changing obsessions, colossal foul-ups, grand
Comic, 177 pages
Published February 28th 2006 by Del Rey (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about School Rumble, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Rumble, Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
98th out of 867 books — 3,239 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu Arakawa
Best Mangas
60th out of 315 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Starry
Oct 13, 2012 Starry rated it really liked it
Nick
May 13, 2008 Nick rated it it was ok
Overall Rating: D+
Synopsis: Created by Jin Kobayashi, the series is a romance comedy that follows Tenma Tsukamoto. Tenma attends Yagami High School, and is in love with the stoic Oji Karasuma. Meanwhile, the male protagonist, Kenji Harima, a delinquent, has developed a crush on Tenma. Both Harima and Tenma have difficulty telling their respective crushes how they feel, and so (of course) hilarity (supposedly) ensues.

There is also a large cast of supporting characters, and I could go into great d
Verónica
Apr 07, 2015 Verónica rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-eres-para-mi
Abandono este manga. Es un manga tonto, que quieren hacer gracias con chorradas... Este manga no es para mi.
Online Eccentric Librarian
Mar 17, 2016 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, arc

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This is a manga that really makes me not envy the translator - the whole thing is a series of misunderstandings, puns, and very silly situations. Much of it is tied in to Japanese culture - which means that the explanations/notes at the back are invaluable to understanding nearly every panel. In fact, the manga is worth a purchase for the culture notes alone - they go a long way to understanding manga in general and the
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Boy, oh boy, is Tenma ever clueless? She just can't seem to get it together. She really wants to be with Karasuma, but would never think to asking him out. Nope, she would rather play little games with the hope that he will notice her . . . which he never does. Karasuma seem to just do his own thing and doesn't pay attention to anybody.

As for Kenji, I really like this tough guy who is also clueless when it involves girls. It is also neat how Jin Kobayashi draws him to be much grittier and darke
Kirkus
Oct 09, 2014 Kirkus rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of Japanese mainstream culture references in this work. Not obscure stuff but if the reader hasn't read a couple of mangas before or at least heard about for example Initial D then you will miss a lot of humor this funny story offers.

To elaborate with an example of culture ref. Initial D is about a super fast car driver and his unique car, one day when one of the MCs are late for school in School Rumble they take their bicycle and ride as fast as they can to make it on time. On t
Ruben
May 02, 2016 Ruben rated it it was amazing
Este manga es increíble! es de comedia-romántica sus capítulos son historias muy cortas, sin embargo muy graciosas, no paras de reír, la trama se lleva cuando Tenma Tsukamoto entra a su segundo año de preparatoria, y plantean en la escuela que cada nuevo año te asignan un nuevo grupo y nuevos compañeros, lo que hace distinto este año a los demás para Tenma es que ella está enamorada de Ooji Karasuma (un tipo gris sin expresiones), y Tenma desea más que nada en el mundo estar en el mismo salón y ...more
Roselyn
Jul 27, 2016 Roselyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, lol, favorites
I absolutely enjoyed this!! Why 5-stars? Because it legit made me LOL. Most of the scenes are just so quirky and I'm all up for that--I'm just easy to crack up at this kinds of story.

If you want something light and funny to read you should definitely check this out. Highly recommend if you're having a bad day or just feel like reading something simple and happy.

If you're looking for something humorous AND plot-driven though, I don't think this is the right story for you because basically from wh
Leila Anani
Although high-school romantic comedy is not my manga genre of choice, I actually enjoyed School Rumble much more than I thought I would.

The story centres around second year high school student Tsukamoto Tenma. She has a crush on classmate Karasuma Oji and struggles to let him know how she feels. Meanwhile bad boy Harima Kenji falls for Tenma and actually starts going to school. All manner of comedy situations ensue as the characters try and make their crushes fall for them.

Tenma must be the most
hujanlia
Mar 27, 2011 hujanlia rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Misunderstandings+romance manga. I guess that describe this manga quite well ^^;

Tsukamoto Tenma, is a clumsy and (too) clueless --if not dummy, yes personal feeling is involved here, LOL-- girl.
She falls in love to Ooji Karasuma, a totally weird (in a term 'alien-like weird') boy in the school.
While Kenji Harima, the school gangster is in love with Tenma.
Neither Tenma nor Harima succeeded in confessing their feelings, though Harima is more unlucky because Tenma thinks he likes her sister instead
Emmy
Feb 29, 2016 Emmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: absurd, manga
I've found in general that I prefer anime to manga. Now, normally, I prefer the books, but in the case of this genre, I have found that the added benefit of color, voice, and action makes anime pop in a way that manga does not. Even so, if I enjoy an anime series, I love to read the manga to see if there is anything that wasn't covered in the TV series.

That's the case for this series. The anime only went through season 2, and there are a lot of questions left unanswered. So, when I found this at
Jessica
May 30, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious, and I'm watching the anime of it now.
In some parts it was a little hard to follow, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.
Recommended for anyone who enjoys a good romantic comedy in manga.
~Eilis xo
Kayla Eklund
May 13, 2015 Kayla Eklund rated it liked it
Shelves: library, manga
16 chapters. This was weird, yet oddly entertaining at the same time. Other than being slightly entertaining, there was nothing to set it apart from any other manga. Not sure if I will continue with this series or not.
Cass -  Words on Paper
Dec 31, 2013 Cass - Words on Paper rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, read-2013
I haven't actually finished a novel this month as of yet (but I'm close!)... I've been on a manga/anime spree. I don't know if I'm going to buy this whole series but I wanted to own at least the first because I love the anime version so much. The manga is also great and I love the tone of the translation. The art is great, particularly the action full-length pages.

This series caters to both boys and girls. It's a school-life Rom Com but definitely more of a shounen nature. Quick read. What I lov
Jan 06, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I've been so busy with work, school, the holiday, and now planning a trip to Tokyo and another school semester around the corner...I've pretty much stuck to manga the last couple months.
I've actually seen the first season of the anime School Rumble series. I love the lighthearted story, the love triangle between Tenma, the flighty high school girl, the mysterious yet strange boy she has a crush on, and Harima, the completely misunderstood bad boy who loves Tenma. I also like the side stories of
Deb
Oct 09, 2007 Deb rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: manga
It's an insipid series that's not worth anyone's time. The stories are not always connected, they don't always follow a discernable time line, and the main character is the worst kind of idiot!

This encompases all that is bad about the sexist Japanese mindset: women can only be strong in one category (sports, academics, jobs, spirit) and unintelligent/untalented girls are lifted up on a pedestal as if being kind or considerate can make up for all that they lack in depth of character.

I know that
Bailey
Sep 28, 2015 Bailey rated it it was ok
It was good if you like romance, but the story wasn't particularly interesting to me.
Kim
Nov 11, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, graphic-novel, manga
This is the first manga I have ever read. I love the dubbed version of the anime & decided that I needed to try reading the manga. I was not disappointed as the makers of the anime did a good job of following the manga, so the characters and stories were already familiar. These stories are laugh out loud funny as two of the most dimwitted (but cute in Tenma's case) characters make their way through high school and crushes.
I really enjoyed reading the explanations from the translator in the
Joanne Hu
Jun 08, 2015 Joanne Hu rated it really liked it
Kat
Feb 14, 2016 Kat rated it liked it
Une histoire très mignonne que j'ai hâte de continuer.
Kelsey
Dec 31, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing
hilarious
Jenna
Apr 16, 2013 Jenna rated it really liked it
Reminds me of Azumanga Daioh storytelling but I didn't find it as humorous.

Upon rereading book one and reading all the way through to book 4, I liked it much more the second time 'round. I did not like the time skips and how we revisted events from different characters points of view, but much later on. The drawing style was humorous and sometimes it felt way too over the top (esp the dramatic artistic scenes). But it was still amusing. Not as funny as Azumanga, stil!
Lucille
Feb 10, 2013 Lucille rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-manga
I'm in love with this. It's so funny. Tenma is so cute. She looks like a baby bunny with her hairstyle. I want to squeeze her, and pat her head, like a puppy!

Hajima, though, looks like a delinquent, which is exactly what he is. I literally laughed out loud when Tenma (view spoiler) Indeed, men are powerless against love!

Looking forward to reading the next volume!!
Lord
Nov 05, 2008 Lord rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of high school comedy manga
Shelves: manga, comedy
Funny manga continuing the legacy of high school comedies such as Azumanga Daioh. The first volume is really promising and for Jin Kobayashi a good start of his career as a manga artist. Maybe I wouldn't enjoy this book as much if it was released by Tokyopop but the treating of Del Rey is first rate (as expected) with many cultural and translation references, that is very much needed with this manga full of cultural and language jokes.
Lily Zheng
Oct 13, 2012 Lily Zheng rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS SERIES! HILARIOUS! I love how this is just a normal manga about high school dramas and you can't help but laugh your head off at every one of the quirky, smart yet stupid silly things they do. You cannot love manga characters anymore than the ones in School Rumble! XD I have yet to finish this series when I have the time, but I'm half hoping it won't end because you never get sick of the quirky things they do.
Snoko
Oct 13, 2011 Snoko rated it it was amazing
I have read this around in middle school, so it's been a long time. This volume is so funny, and my favorite character is the guy with the sunglasses. He's awesome, but I forgot his name, so like I said before its been awhile. You'll might enjoy this one, I haven't bother continuing to finish ready the rest of the volumes, but if you like comedy romance, this one is a manga for you to read.
Mars
May 26, 2009 Mars rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
I watched both seasons and could only find about two funny episodes.

I have no idea why I thought the manga would be any different. I kept hearing that this series was "hilarious" and "romantic" so I decided to check it out. Don't. It was a waste of time. I actually tried to find the comedy this series claims to have, but it doesn't.
M. Rajab Al-mukarrom
Oct 30, 2012 M. Rajab Al-mukarrom rated it really liked it
SUKA, SUKA, SUKA!
sangat menikmati lawakan ala para remaja SMA Jepang yang gokil-gokil ini.
Jin Kobayashi sangat mampu menyajikan adegan dan dialog yang kocak dengan teknik menggambar yang bagus dan khas.
nggak menyesal koleksi manga shonen yang satu ini :))

pengin nyari versi anime-nya, ah!
*ketinggalan banget :p
  • Oh My Goddess!, Volume 1
  • K-ON! vol. 01 (Indonesian)
  • Full Metal Panic!, Vol. 1 (Full Metal Panic!, #1)
  • Azumanga Daioh: The Omnibus
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • Psychic Academy Volume 2: v. 2
  • Negima! Magister Negi Magi, Vol. 1
  • Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase, Volume 1
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 2 (Imadoki!: Nowadays, #2)
  • Color
  • Lucky Star 3 (Lucky Star, #3)
  • Cantarella Vol. 1
  • Hands Off!, Volume 1
  • Dazzle, Volume 1
  • Hell Girl, Volume 1
  • Suzuka, Vol. 1
  • Penguin Brothers Vol. 1
  • The Magic Touch, Vol. 1 (The Magic Touch, #1)
Jin Kobayashi is a mangaka. His most famous work so far is School Rumble,
He began drawing manga seriously during his college years, and won the Weekly Shonen Magazine's Rookie Award in 2001.
More about Jin Kobayashi...

School Rumble (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • School Rumble, Volume 2