Start by marking “School Rumble, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
School Rumble, Volume 1

School Rumble, Volume 1 (School Rumble #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,163 ratings  ·  43 reviews
SUBTLETY IS FOR WIMPS!

She . . . is a second-year high school student with a single all-consuming question: Will the boy she likes ever really notice her?

He . . . is the school�s most notorious juvenile delinquent and he�s suddenly come to a shocking realization: He�s got a huge crush, and now he must tell her how he feels.

Life-changing obsessions, colossal foul-ups,
Comic, 177 pages
Published February 28th 2006 by Del Rey (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about School Rumble, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Rumble, Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
93rd out of 930 books — 2,644 voters
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu Arakawa
Best Mangas
47th out of 215 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Starry
Nick
May 13, 2008 Nick rated it 2 of 5 stars
Overall Rating: D+
Synopsis: Created by Jin Kobayashi, the series is a romance comedy that follows Tenma Tsukamoto. Tenma attends Yagami High School, and is in love with the stoic Oji Karasuma. Meanwhile, the male protagonist, Kenji Harima, a delinquent, has developed a crush on Tenma. Both Harima and Tenma have difficulty telling their respective crushes how they feel, and so (of course) hilarity (supposedly) ensues.

There is also a large cast of supporting characters, and I could go into great d
Kirkus
There are a lot of Japanese mainstream culture references in this work. Not obscure stuff but if the reader hasn't read a couple of mangas before or at least heard about for example Initial D then you will miss a lot of humor this funny story offers.

To elaborate with an example of culture ref. Initial D is about a super fast car driver and his unique car, one day when one of the MC´s are late for school in School Rumble they take their bicycle and ride as fast as they can to make it on time. On
Leila Anani
Although high-school romantic comedy is not my manga genre of choice, I actually enjoyed School Rumble much more than I thought I would.

The story centres around second year high school student Tsukamoto Tenma. She has a crush on classmate Karasuma Oji and struggles to let him know how she feels. Meanwhile bad boy Harima Kenji falls for Tenma and actually starts going to school. All manner of comedy situations ensue as the characters try and make their crushes fall for them.

Tenma must be the most
Melon Manis
Misunderstandings+romance manga. I guess that describe this manga quite well ^^;

Tsukamoto Tenma, is a clumsy and (too) clueless --if not dummy, yes personal feeling is involved here, LOL-- girl.
She falls in love to Ooji Karasuma, a totally weird (in a term 'alien-like weird') boy in the school.
While Kenji Harima, the school gangster is in love with Tenma.
Neither Tenma nor Harima succeeded in confessing their feelings, though Harima is more unlucky because Tenma thinks he likes her sister instead
Cass -  Words on Paper
I haven't actually finished a novel this month as of yet (but I'm close!)... I've been on a manga/anime spree. I don't know if I'm going to buy this whole series but I wanted to own at least the first because I love the anime version so much. The manga is also great and I love the tone of the translation. The art is great, particularly the action full-length pages.

This series caters to both boys and girls. It's a school-life Rom Com but definitely more of a shounen nature. Quick read. What I lov
I've been so busy with work, school, the holiday, and now planning a trip to Tokyo and another school semester around the corner...I've pretty much stuck to manga the last couple months.
I've actually seen the first season of the anime School Rumble series. I love the lighthearted story, the love triangle between Tenma, the flighty high school girl, the mysterious yet strange boy she has a crush on, and Harima, the completely misunderstood bad boy who loves Tenma. I also like the side stories of
Deb
Oct 09, 2007 Deb rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: manga
It's an insipid series that's not worth anyone's time. The stories are not always connected, they don't always follow a discernable time line, and the main character is the worst kind of idiot!

This encompases all that is bad about the sexist Japanese mindset: women can only be strong in one category (sports, academics, jobs, spirit) and unintelligent/untalented girls are lifted up on a pedestal as if being kind or considerate can make up for all that they lack in depth of character.

I know that
Kim
This is the first manga I have ever read. I love the dubbed version of the anime & decided that I needed to try reading the manga. I was not disappointed as the makers of the anime did a good job of following the manga, so the characters and stories were already familiar. These stories are laugh out loud funny as two of the most dimwitted (but cute in Tenma's case) characters make their way through high school and crushes.
I really enjoyed reading the explanations from the translator in the
Kelsey
only up to vol 4 :'(
Jenna
Reminds me of Azumanga Daioh storytelling but I didn't find it as humorous.

Upon rereading book one and reading all the way through to book 4, I liked it much more the second time 'round. I did not like the time skips and how we revisted events from different characters points of view, but much later on. The drawing style was humorous and sometimes it felt way too over the top (esp the dramatic artistic scenes). But it was still amusing. Not as funny as Azumanga, stil!
Lucille
I'm in love with this. It's so funny. Tenma is so cute. She looks like a baby bunny with her hairstyle. I want to squeeze her, and pat her head, like a puppy!

Hajima, though, looks like a delinquent, which is exactly what he is. I literally laughed out loud when Tenma (view spoiler) Indeed, men are powerless against love!

Looking forward to reading the next volume!!
Lord
Nov 05, 2008 Lord rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of high school comedy manga
Shelves: manga, comedy
Funny manga continuing the legacy of high school comedies such as Azumanga Daioh. The first volume is really promising and for Jin Kobayashi a good start of his career as a manga artist. Maybe I wouldn't enjoy this book as much if it was released by Tokyopop but the treating of Del Rey is first rate (as expected) with many cultural and translation references, that is very much needed with this manga full of cultural and language jokes.
Lily Zheng
LOVE THIS SERIES! HILARIOUS! I love how this is just a normal manga about high school dramas and you can't help but laugh your head off at every one of the quirky, smart yet stupid silly things they do. You cannot love manga characters anymore than the ones in School Rumble! XD I have yet to finish this series when I have the time, but I'm half hoping it won't end because you never get sick of the quirky things they do.
Snoko
I have read this around in middle school, so it's been a long time. This volume is so funny, and my favorite character is the guy with the sunglasses. He's awesome, but I forgot his name, so like I said before its been awhile. You'll might enjoy this one, I haven't bother continuing to finish ready the rest of the volumes, but if you like comedy romance, this one is a manga for you to read.
Mars
May 26, 2009 Mars rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I watched both seasons and could only find about two funny episodes.

I have no idea why I thought the manga would be any different. I kept hearing that this series was "hilarious" and "romantic" so I decided to check it out. Don't. It was a waste of time. I actually tried to find the comedy this series claims to have, but it doesn't.
Rajab Al-mukarrom
SUKA, SUKA, SUKA!
sangat menikmati lawakan ala para remaja SMA Jepang yang gokil-gokil ini.
Jin Kobayashi sangat mampu menyajikan adegan dan dialog yang kocak dengan teknik menggambar yang bagus dan khas.
nggak menyesal koleksi manga shonen yang satu ini :))

pengin nyari versi anime-nya, ah!
*ketinggalan banget :p
Caleb
Sep 13, 2008 Caleb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like manga/romantic comedies/high school dramedy
Shelves: graphic-novels
A rather awesome high school romantic comedy, told in short, several-page, stand-alone, episodic strips that build to an overall story arc about a high school junior with a crush on a completely oblivous boy, and a young tough with a crush on her, to which she is oblivious.
Tawnie
A weird mixed of romance and comedy. Lots of unrequited love abounds and it is hoped that this will lead to humorous situations, but most of the time it falls flat. Have a hard time imagining who the audience for this book is suppose to be.
Kenny Nguyen
This is a really good series. If you want a comedy series with school like theme into it then this is the best out out there (IMO). This series is still on going which no signs of ending anytime soon ^^
Lavenza
Both the manga and the anime are a beautiful chapter in my life and surely I will watch the series many more times yet. Pure and funny and easy to relate to a number of characters. This is gold!!!
Roxanne Rosa
This is a seriously funny series!! The Anime and manga are both worth checking out if you want a good laugh. It is goofy and all the characters make the story that much more of a fun mess.
Terrence
This series is one of the funniest mangas I have ever read. The anime is great too. The characters are well developed and their relationships and encounters hilarious to read.
Kori
Sep 27, 2011 Kori added it
i love this manga and the anime, i like all of the randomist and it cracks me up, but the love(can't think of a shape) is a little confusing but over all i loved it
Tiffany
Picked it up quite a few years ago and I still love the series. It's humorous, good story line, and relatable. If you like romance comedy manga, it's a must read.
Bagus
ceritanya kocak abis kesalahpahaman yg di tiban dengan kesalahpahaman yg menjadikesalahpahan...
tapi ternyata endingnya sedih.
Maria Micallef
there is no word to describe how much i love this series and no count of how many times I have read and re-read this volume.
app!e ♥ f!avour
Sep 23, 2008 app!e ♥ f!avour rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my cousin recommended it to me
Recommended to app!e ♥ f!avour by: my cousin recommended it to me
THIS BOOK IS THE BEST MY COUSIN RECOMENDED THIS TO ME AND THE WAY IT WAS SET OUT WAS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X
Marina
I give this 3 or 4 stars. The anime is better. Will read the rest of the manga but will not rush.
Brittany
  • K-ON! vol. 01 (Indonesian)
  • Oh My Goddess!, Volume 1
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • Full Metal Panic!, Vol. 1 (Full Metal Panic!, #1)
  • Rin-Ne 1 (Rin-Ne, #1)
  • Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1 (Azumanga Daioh, #1)
  • Emma, Vol. 01
  • Negima! Magister Negi Magi, Vol. 1
  • Psychic Academy Volume 2: v. 2
  • Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase, Volume 1
  • My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 1
  • Cromartie High School, Volume 1 (Cromartie High School, #1)
  • Cantarella Vol. 1
  • I Hate You More Than Anyone Vol. 1 (I Hate You More Than Anyone, #1)
  • I.O.N
  • Lucky Star 1 (Lucky Star, #1)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #1)
  • Hell Girl, Volume 1
Jin Kobayashi is a mangaka. His most famous work so far is School Rumble,
He began drawing manga seriously during his college years, and won the Weekly Shonen Magazine's Rookie Award in 2001.
More about Jin Kobayashi...

School Rumble (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • School Rumble, Volume 2
  • School Rumble, Volume 8
  • School Rumble 09
  • School Rumble 10
  • School Rumble, Volume 11
School Rumble, Volume 2 School Rumble, Volume 3 School Rumble, Volume 4 School Rumble, Volume 5 School Rumble, Volume 6