Start by marking “Soft Like Steel” as Want to Read:
Soft Like Steel

Soft Like Steel

Barbara, a devout Mennonite farm-girl, had been married less than a year when her husband suddenly vanished. Her safe and happy world disappeared along with him. Who was this man she had wed? The unexpected truth would lead her through years of pain and heartache, fighting for the survival of not only her marriage, but their children as well. Soft Like Steel is the true ...more
Paperback, first, 142 pages
Published April 25th 2012 by WriteLife, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Soft Like Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft Like Steel

Ruty  B
Sep 01, 2012 Ruty B rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction
How do you rate a book about real people, about real life? It's hard to find a good non-fiction book because reality is always greater than fiction but somehow some authors find it hard to really transmit their experiences and feelings, but this is not the case.

Soft like steel is the story of Barbara, a woman who had to face many adversities and overcome more than obstacles in order to raise her children.

This book is an incredible inspirational tale about how we choose to defend our families an
Marjorie
Jan 07, 2015 Marjorie rated it it was amazing
Given To Me For An Honest Review

Soft Like Steel by Barb Malek is a must read. It is a short quick read and is the debut novel for Barb Malek. This book will grab you from pagone, it will hold you down, you will watch the pages turn themselves and turn and turn and turn again until you get to the end. You will try and put it down but it won't let you. After the author's grandmother died, her journal was found by family members. It was this journal which inspired Barb Malek to write this book. Usi
Mardra
Feb 24, 2013 Mardra rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Barb Malek is a good storyteller and her narrative takes the reader to the not too distant past with pleasantly simple language, making for a quick and easy read.

As a work of historical creative nonfiction-I'm sure it is especially touching to those family members to whom it relates. However, anyone with an interest in witnessing how the hard choices, hard work, and also mis-steps of the past have led to the social norms of today, will find this an interesting read.

This story holds lessons in th
Theresa
Aug 07, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Theresa by: goodreads
I won Soft Like Steel in a giveaway for free on Goodreads First/Reads. I enjoyed this book a lot~ I've never read a book like this one before. This story was well written the author stayed on point at all times. This was a quick read, and I recommend this story to everyone. I could not imagine going through what this main character had to deal with- having so many children and a piece of work for a husband. It was interesting to read this story and inspiring for many woman. I have added this ...more
Dawn Karas
Jan 05, 2013 Dawn Karas rated it it was amazing
This is the story of the life of my Grandmother Kennel written by my cousin Barb. I knew a little about the hard life that Grandmother had but Barb did extensive research and brought more insight to a troubled time in American history (The Great Depression) and the terrible life my Grandmother endured with her wandering husband while raising 8 children.
Marla
Jun 17, 2012 Marla rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a first reads winner. This is a family story of what the author's grandma went through. It brings to life the heartaches and struggles of the great depression, infidelity back in the 30's and 40's and one woman's struggle to survive with 8 children when her husband isn't around. There are lots of families who had these same issues during this era.
Debi Walter
Aug 15, 2013 Debi Walter rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading real-life stories, and this one has you pulling for the author's grandmother from the start. It is full of historical facts that I love, feeling as if you've stepped back in time. Barb is a good storyteller and helps you experience the time, not just read about it.
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Barb Malek
Barb Malek rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Sybil Oliver
Sybil Oliver rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Molly Larson
Molly Larson rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Altajoe
Altajoe rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Gerry
Gerry marked it as to-read
May 16, 2012
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 18, 2012
Bonnie Colvert
Bonnie Colvert marked it as to-read
May 19, 2012
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
May 19, 2012
Lynda Brown
Lynda Brown marked it as to-read
May 25, 2012
Madameraziel
Madameraziel marked it as to-read
May 25, 2012
Kathy Johnson
Kathy Johnson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2012
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
May 27, 2012
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 27, 2012
Nancy Black
Nancy Black marked it as to-read
May 28, 2012
Bethenia Dixon
Bethenia Dixon marked it as to-read
May 28, 2012
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Katie Kreamer
Katie Kreamer marked it as to-read
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Gavyn Everington
Gavyn Everington marked it as to-read
Doris
Doris marked it as to-read
Robin Conley
Robin Conley marked it as to-read
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Carol K.
Carol K. marked it as to-read
May 30, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
'Manda
'Manda marked it as to-read
Alysa Morley
Alysa Morley marked it as to-read
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2012

“The past cannot be undone. At best it can be understood so, perhaps, it can also be forgiven.” 1 likes